• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

What's your occupation?

headpodd

What do you do for a crust?

Having opted out of the rat race for the last six months, I have reentered the world of work rejuvenated and in my previous profession.

I work in Human Resources (Personnel) and am usually found either hiring or firing people (sad but true). I quite enjoy my job as it involves a lot of people contact and no two days are ever the same. It also involves knowing a lot of employment legislation so keeps the brain cells ticking over and I get to travel all over Britain. :)

So was wondering what everyone does to earn a living and how much they enjoy it?

It saddens me to have to admit to it, but... I'm a professional parasite.
Please elaborate.

I work in a big warehouse, lugging big boxes around. It's only parttime, mind you, so I'm not planning on making a career in it. So help me God. :)

Cheers, Martin :D

I don't work. I let my parents pay for everything I do. I'm a parasite. A studying parasite, granted, but a parasite nonetheless. There... you made me say it again!

*runs away sobbing her little heart out*

I'm an evil scientist. Mwahahahaha! No, really. I get to play God for a living. It's great fun. On Wednesdays we draw out of a hat the name of something that we don't understand and then we mess with it for the rest of the week. Mondays are for brainstorming sessions where we deliberately think up things that will really mess up the world, and then we discover them just for fun. It's gradely.

Martin said:
I work in a big warehouse, lugging big boxes around. It's only parttime, mind you, so I'm not planning on making a career in it. So help me God. :)

Be careful. That's the same thing I said 18 years ago.
I work in a huge warehouse that carries thousands of items that are sold in grocery stores.
The pay's not fantastic but pretty good and at my age there's no way I can replace it with a different job around here so I'm stuck in a never ending void of a job.
So RUN Martin before it's too late. Run as if your life depends on it....because it does!

RaVeN

I worked in a warehouse for a bit during vacations when I was at uni. We had one of those hand operated pump up fork lifty things. It was great fun. But I kept crashing it into things (and people). I ended up being moved into the office. It was safer that way.

I am an Escrow Officer at a title company. When people purchase real estate, I make sure the people who are selling it actually own it and make sure all the money and paperwork gets to the right places. Then I sell them an insurance policy that guarantees I didn't screw up. It's an odd way to make a living, but the pay is good and it's fast-moving so it keeps me interested.

Like Litany, another evil scientist. And like Litany, I had my years of forklifting. Sadly, I didn't get to play God; instead the Grim Reaper, loading headless cows into incinerators. The rest, as you will have guessed, involved heads, brains, BSE. The scientists rebelled, and now the forklift man drives the forklift, the scientists play science. Yeah!

Who asked this question, anyway. Oh, Headpodd. Might have guessed. Headpodd, mutter, mutter ;)

Third Man Girl

I'll call that "huh" and raise you a "what the f#@k"? :confused:

RaVeN

Oh, and because this is my 300th post.......

I MISS PHIL'S ASS!!!!!

I used to be a US patent examiner, but I hated it and I hated being an engineer, so I'm now back in school. I'm pursuing a masters in education and hope to become a high school chem teacher in a year or two.

Martin said:
Way to go, Chewie. Good for you to decide to do what you want to do!

Took long enough. I knew I hated engineering while still in school, but I wanted to prove that I could graduate in the program...I'm stubborn like that.

Doesn't matter. You knew you were in the wrong place and acted on it. Many, many people know damn right they're not making the most of it, occupation-wise, but they're too ... afraid? stubborn? ... to do something about it.

I commend you! Best of luck with it.

I work in the finishing/shipping department of a screenprinting company. My job involves occasional printing, but most of the time I (along with the rest of the finishers/shippers) just take the parts from the printers and do whatever needs to be done to prepare them for the customer. We do things such as cut decals, etc. to size, apply adhesives, laminate clear films to protect the printed surfaces, a bit of light assembly, inspect, package, and ship. It's kind of monotonous, but the variety of things we print help keep things interesting.

I work for a global company that provides life science reagents and instruments to those crazy explorers called scientists.

LauraLee said:
I work for a global company that provides life science reagents and instruments to those crazy explorers called scientists.

Ooh. Any chance of a discount? :)

LOL, the whole forum seems to work in a warehouse!! Maybe because shift work leaves you with so many spare hours to fill!! In case you hadnt guessed, i too am a sweaty hard-working warehouseman for a major supermarket chain!! :D

Raven said:
Oh, and because this is my 300th post.......

I MISS PHIL'S ASS!!!!!

Ahh, Raven, i assure you that it misses you too!! :eek:

Just for you then!!

Florance50Percent.jpg

Phil :cool:

Back