• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

What's your occupation?

I wish I was a librarian who could sit and read books all day!! :D

<Sigh> I am not! I am a software engineer, reading books whenever I find time!

OINE LIFE - LIVE IT! :)

Anahorish said:
Good grief. :eek: Well nice to see a fellow simian on here. :p Anyway I did my degree first, just a BA - well done for doing a PhD !!

Aw thank you :) :)
And being a call centre monkey is not a great job, but someone's gotta do it....what would happen if I wasn't here to put people on hold and ruin their day?! The world might grind to a halt :p

Billy Oblivion said:
You bloody student! I'm just glad you don't live in England so you're not leeching on my taxes like all the other useless bloody student oxygen thieves.

Sorry Billy, I'm a student (although in Wales, not England) and you'll be so pleased to hear the government are paying me handsomely to study :p

mojo said:
Aw thank you :) :)
And being a call centre monkey is not a great job, but someone's gotta do it....what would happen if I wasn't here to put people on hold and ruin their day?! The world might grind to a halt :p

I like my job, but god I love that hold button... Don't know what I'd do without it. :D

And no, it's not a great job, not very well respected, but quite a tough one sometimes. The way some people think it's okay to speak to you... It's like, "do you kiss your children goodnight with those lips?" :eek:

Anahorish said:
I like my job, but god I love that hold button... Don't know what I'd do without it. :D

And no, it's not a great job, not very well respected, but quite a tough one sometimes. The way some people think it's okay to speak to you... It's like, "do you kiss your children goodnight with those lips?" :eek:

my parents work in call centers and they love it. after years of manual labour and mimimum wage they are both pleases as punch to go work in a nice clean environment, that is not physically challenging and they get a nice paycheck.

mind you, has my mom ever become a tough cookie for the reason you said above. she used to be quite sensitive to the abuse and now i wouldn't want to have to deal with her, she is scary. because of this i am always super nice to the person on the other end. and mom says that people are kidding themselves if they think being nasty gets them anywhere. she will do her best to help you (she works in billing for an gas company) if you are sensible and polite but tick her off.....she'll cut off your gas :D

That is one good thing about it - it does make you very thick skinned and you learn not to take anything personally! Though it can make you very insincere - going 'Yes Mr Smith, I'm sorry about that Mr Smith' while making rude gestures at the screen does make me feel better when people are calling me names because it's apparently my fault they haven't paid their bill and they've been cut off :) Your Mom has the right idea in my opinion!!!

Yeah, the whole key to call centre work is not to take anything personally. People are generally angry at the company - after all if they met me, I'm sure they'd love me. :p I think one plus point is that I keep my head during arguments now and if I know or believe I'm in the right, then I have the ability to send the opposition down in flames. :D But it does indeed make you insincere about certain things.

Working for an airline, people don't seem to realise that threatening to "cause a scene on the plane" if they don't get their preferred seat assignments can lead to me ensuring they don't board the aircraft without a thorough interrogation by the Security Duty Manager to ensure they are not going to go beserk and attack everyone, or they may not board at all (with no chance of a refund either!).

Another plus point of my job is that when there are no calls waiting, we get to sit around and be paid for talking amongst ourselves. :cool:

Anahorish said:
Yeah, the whole key to call centre work is not to take anything personally. People are generally angry at the company - after all if they met me, I'm sure they'd love me. :p I think one plus point is that I keep my head during arguments now and if I know or believe I'm in the right, then I have the ability to send the opposition down in flames.

Another plus point of my job is that when there are no calls waiting, we get to sit around and be paid for talking amongst ourselves. :cool:

Yeah, I'm exactly the same when it comes to arguments, the more irate someone gets with me the more calm I become. And as for being paid to talk amongst yourselves, I'm in work right now getting paid to drink coffee and spam the book forum :)

i sell newsprint, the big rolls of paper that newspapers are printed on. i don't know how i got here.
i'd rather be an archeologist

Jenem said:
i sell newsprint, the big rolls of paper that newspapers are printed on. i don't know how i got here.
i'd rather be an archeologist

oooh i know you probably didn't mean this as funny, but the i don't know how i got here part killed me. i sometimes say that all day. :D

Jenem,

Why don't you volunteer for a dig on your next holiday? Most big digs take volunteers and it's a lot of fun. Once you get known and get some skills, they sometimes pay quite well, even if you don't have a degree. There's a lot of manual labor.

(I was on a dig in lower Manhattan one winter, which paid well because it was zero degrees F and they had serious time constraints. We were digging Dutch and Indian stuff.)

Buy the ticket, take the ride. :)

novella said:
Jenem,

Why don't you volunteer for a dig on your next holiday? Most big digs take volunteers and it's a lot of fun. Once you get known and get some skills, they sometimes pay quite well, even if you don't have a degree. There's a lot of manual labor.

(I was on a dig in lower Manhattan one winter, which paid well because it was zero degrees F and they had serious time constraints. We were digging Dutch and Indian stuff.)

Buy the ticket, take the ride. :)

i had no idea you could volunteer. do they take people with zero experience?

jenngorham said:
oooh i know you probably didn't mean this as funny, but the i don't know how i got here part killed me. i sometimes say that all day. :D
i didn't - but i see how funny it sounds. does anyone ever envision themselves selling newsprint?

Jenem said:
i didn't - but i see how funny it sounds. does anyone ever envision themselves selling newsprint?

no but i thought was going to be a dentist and at this moment i have 7 kids in my living room, 2 are mine, 2 i babysit and 3 i've never seen in my life. and i am feeding them all animal crackers and juice. :)
i have had all manner of different jobs, once, when i lived in vacouver i was a paint ball sales person making cold calls. i sucked.

Jenem said:
i had no idea you could volunteer. do they take people with zero experience?

Yeah! They took me --and paid--when I had none.

http://www.ancientneareast.net/volunteers.html

http://www.ukarchaeology.org.uk/projects/intro.htm

http://www.museum.state.il.us/ismdepts/anthro/dlcfaq.html#five

Because there's a lot of repetitious, meticulous manual labor involved, you really don't need experience once they show you what to do and look for. I spent most of the time screening/sifting dig soil for little bits of bone, shells, and pottery.

jenngorham said:
i have had all manner of different jobs, once, when i lived in vacouver i was a paint ball sales person making cold calls. i sucked.

OMG - that's hilarious!

Back