• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

What's your occupation?

Run your house? Run some-one else’s?
Work as an astronaut?
Work for the government, PM or collecting the dole?

Let us all know?

Myself
BSc in Geology and I actually work as a geologist. Sometimes in the office in managing the geology section whilst drilling exploration and development wells, sometimes on the oil rig. My job takes me to different countries and sometimes remote locations. Remote being 200-300 miles offshore, or out in the desert.

Recently I just spent a month in Jakarta working as an operations geologist looking after some development drilling in Seram. It might sound glamorous, but after 28 days of hotel food you get sick of it quite fast. My work day starts at 6:30am, finishes at 5:30pm, with a call from the rig at 7:30pm, plus calls at any other time.

My job is returning to Mauritania for some exploration drilling. 2 months ago we finished some development wells which will inject some much needed cash into Mauritania, a very poor country.

This all means I work about 5-7 months a year on a month on month off basis, roughly, as it never works out exactly. Being away is hard, as I have a wife and 2 oung sons. Being at home is great.

Countries I have worked in with my job as a geologist are England, Taiwan, Singapore, Indonesia, Angola, Mauritania and Australia.

Edit: Also setting up a online shop with my wife, which is stretching my computing skills, which is also good, it's great to learn new things

sirmyk said:
At first I thought he was an ATM and kept sliding my card down his ass crack, but then I found you could get coins to come out by pulling on that tiny lever in front.

(delayed reaction) Tiny?

okay, tiny. It's genetic.

But did you notice that you couldn't get your hand completely around it? :D

I am a choir director in a public school. I'm not sure how it is in other parts of the world, but I'm lucky that my schedule is booked the whole school day with choir classes. The only thing that happens before or after school are extra rehearsals for contests, concerts etc. And I do teach that dreaded age 11-14 and I love them.

Occupations

What do you do for a living? I am a freelance computer designer- web stuff mostly.

I know that Developers don't think too highly of designers, so if you are a server geek don't be too harsh. :)

I'm an alternative school teacher at a department of corrections institution. My room is nestled in an acute, lock-down, mental health unit. It's an all girls facility and they work on school material on a computer program called Nova-Net. It is very challenging but rewarding. I've helped five girls get their diplomas this summer, no feeling like it in the world. There is nothing else I'd rather do.:cool:

What do you do for a living? I am a freelance computer designer- web stuff mostly.

I know that Developers don't think too highly of designers, so if you are a server geek don't be too harsh. :)
I was a nurse in a care home but I quit that job as I saved up a lot of money to travel in Canada which is where I am currently right now. I'm traveling the BC, came in March and back home to merry old England in August.

To answer your question though I am also a unemployed bum ;)

I'm currently working part-time at a local bakery/cafe. Not a challenging or rewarding job, but it pays the rent (barely) and doesn't demand too much of my brain.

I was completing my post-grad psych units early in the year, but became frustrated with the course content and direction, and have scrapped it for now.

I'll hopefully be travelling OS next year to teach English in Korea. I was thinking of doing a DipEd, but it has apparently become a 2 year course.

I'm a translator (from English to Portuguese). I translate for two magazines and used to translate documentaries and cartoons for television.

Dharma

I'm still working for the national radio station. I copytake for all of the shows and work in studio on a few of them now and again.

Back