• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

When looks are more important that content

sparkchaser

Administrator and Stuntman
Staff member
Or perhaps I should have titled this "Style over substance".

Probably one of the more bizarre book sites I have found:

http://www.bookdecor.com/

From their site:

Filling a bookcase couldn't be easier... Measure how many linear feet you need to fill, and then order by the foot from Book Decor.

We also 'rent' our Leather Bound Books for 25% of their listed price. Call for details.

Books are a welcome decorative addition to any home, regardless of interior design or style. Book Decor offers a wide variety of volumes from which to choose. These books are written in Danish, so they might not make great reading, but they do have beautiful exterior designs.

These special "Harry Potter Look" books are available in a limited quantity at $18.00 a book.

Designer books unlike draperies or carpeting appreciate in value and never wear out. They are an investment for the future, as well as the ideal item with which to decorate your home or office. Warm rich leathers and antique gilt accent any room from traditional to contemporary in style. A library, study or simply a corner table...designer books are an affordable and elegant way to add warmth and beauty to your decor.

Or maybe I am just jealous that he thought of it before I did.

What's the meaning of having a gigantic library composed with fake books only? Would it be a way to say "hey I'm an intellectual. See how many books I have... I've read all of them, 'cause I'm a damn intellectual"?? I think it's a silliness. If I had decorated my place with this stuff (and this is only a hypothetical situation, because I have self-esteem enough not to ever do such thing) and one day a curious visit had taken of any of those books for checking it I would fell very ashamed once he/she read/saw the first page.

That's my worst nightmare: I am entertaining a lady at my place and she grabs a book off the shelf while I am getting us martinis. When I return she says "Oh, I didn't know you knew Dutch. What are they about?"

If I had the money, I'd love to buy a few feet of their books just to see what treasures I find!

I love displaying beautiful leather-bound books, but I strongly believe that books should be read, not just looked at!

Can i just say that I lose faith in the world when books become a way of vaunting your 'intelligence'(because you thought to decorate with them) instead of being the carriers of wisdom?

Ok, that sounds overly flowery and melodramatic..but it's true.

The only books I "decorate" with are my collection of old dictionaries! )I still use them, too!) Theyre great looking, have interesting words and illustrations and can really add height :D to a display. Just kidding really, I love my dictionaries...............is that weird?

If I had the money, I'd love to buy a few feet of their books just to see what treasures I find!

That would only be useful if you could read Danish:

Books are a welcome decorative addition to any home, regardless of interior design or style. Book Decor offers a wide variety of volumes from which to choose. These books are written in Danish, so they might not make great reading, but they do have beautiful exterior designs.

I suppose a Danish Necronomicon wold be a pretty sweet find.

Sad commentary that it would even be a business. I'll take my used bookstore, water damaged, thirty year old copy of The Possessed any day over leather bound fluff.

Sad commentary that it would even be a business. I'll take my used bookstore, water damaged, thirty year old copy of The Possessed any day over leather bound fluff.

And your shelves would be much more entertaining than these 'designer' ones. Blech! I'd take a few of those dictionaries of lionsroar13's too...Shoot, a shelf full of comic books and farmer's almanacs would be an improvement over this stuff.

That's my worst nightmare: I am entertaining a lady at my place and she grabs a book off the shelf while I am getting us martinis. When I return she says "Oh, I didn't know you knew Dutch. What are they about?"

Yeah, but as long as they don't know Dutch, it won't matter, right? ;) :p

Really though, this is just silly. But they do also say that they supplied books for movie sets, which at least that I could understand.

My other half has a fantasy that, when we're/he's rich, he'll get all the books bound to match, in order to create an homogenous looking old-fashioned style library.

If such an opportunity ever occurs, he can steer clear of all my books.

Who wants such uniformity? When I walk into someone's home, the first thing that I do is clock the books and CDs and DVDs etc. It tells you something about a person.

To hide that (or at least make it much less obvious) is like saying that you are not an individual – or that you do not want people to see the real you.

My other half has a fantasy that, when we're/he's rich, he'll get all the books bound to match, in order to create an homogenous looking old-fashioned style library.

If such an opportunity ever occurs, he can steer clear of all my books.

Who wants such uniformity? When I walk into someone's home, the first thing that I do is clock the books and CDs and DVDs etc. It tells you something about a person.

To hide that (or at least make it much less obvious) is like saying that you are not an individual – or that you do not want people to see the real you.

I'd be interested to see what you thought of me after you see my books, DVDs, and CDs!

This is just too pretentious for words. A decorator on steroids working for a client with no sense of self. It's bad enough that people judge each other on "shelf appeal" rather than content, but encouraging someone to fill a bookshelf with fake or unread books is worse false advertising than lyposuction, hair extensions and boob jobs.

This is just too pretentious for words. A decorator on steroids working for a client with no sense of self. It's bad enough that people judge each other on "shelf appeal" rather than content, but encouraging someone to fill a bookshelf with fake or unread books is worse false advertising than lyposuction, hair extensions and boob jobs.

:D Yeah it's like intellectual plastic surgery... Only even faster to notice than fake boobs!!!

Back