• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

When should you throw a book away?

I threw out my New Age books. I could not endorse the horseshit within them so I didn't want to give them away or donate them to the library. I put them in the paper recycle trash can.

I threw out my poetry and quantum mechanics books. I could not endorse the horseshit within them so I didn't want to give them away or donate them to the library. I put them in the paper recycle trash can.

I have to admit that I have thrown out two or six books, but they were damaged beyond repair (cat damage, waterlogged, pages destroyed etc). I've never thrown away a book because I disagreed with the contents though.

If I want to get rid of books I label them and release them through BookCrossing.

Thing is FM, if it's missing the first chapter it isn't a classic anymore IMO, how can it be when incomplete?
It still has the first chapter, but the pages just fell out of the binding. I have to be careful when I hold it or I may lose them for good!

I will do everything in my power to avoid throwing away a book. It has to be in extremely poor condition to do that - I'm talking mold, scribblings that obscure the text, pages falling out of a softcover that can't be repaired, that kind of thing.

If I have a book I no longer want:
1) I attempt to sell it on amazon.com
2) If no one buys it on amazon, & it's in good condition, it gets donated to the library
3) If it's not something nice enough for the library, and the content isn't too controversial (aka religious or erotic...), I take it to work & leave it in our pile of breakroom books.
3) Otherwise, it goes into a SafeNest or Goodwill donation bin.

Books

I will throw it away if its badly damaged. But if it is still intact and I do not really like it, I might just give it away.

Unfortunately libraries only have a limited amount of space. If a library was filled only with older type books then people would stop going there because they would have read most of the titles. There's also the question of council budgets. This money needs to be spent - use it or lose it. Therefore, library collections have to be culled. I'm talking of only public libraries here - because most state or national libraries are depositories, so therefore it's rare for things to be tossed out there. Most public libraries that I know of usually sell it's old stock, raising more revenue. :)

I have 6-8 boxes of books I do not want. The used book stores don't want them. I don't even think the Goodwill wants them. They are destined for the county dumpster I think.

Our library accepts books in good condition. If they can't use it in their collection they put it on their sale table. And it's completely anonymous. What about hospitals or old folks homes?

I went by my local Salvation Army today,they have a section of books to browse through for 50 cents,as I was going through some,I opened them and what was inside?scribbling,doodles,and underlined sentences in pen...:angry:

I was like "how dare you person who read this book?Didn't you know there are posted notes available?

I would never throw away a book.

I had to throw away my paperback copy of Pet Sematary :sad:. I forgot it under all the textbooks in my book bag in my freshman year of high school. A lot of pages were ripped out and the cover was just a mess. Pained me to do so :sad:. I had to check out Pet Sematary from my local library to finish it.

Back