• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Where are you? (in the book you are reading) - please read 1st post

I am plying the Atlantic Ocean on board a vessel called San Sebastián captained by Antonio de Iturribalzaga heading to Terranova . Taking advantage the northeast winds, we already are sailing toward the 60º parallel under full sail . Our mission in this trip is the cod fishing although also we are learning new words in the Algonquian–Basque language .

I'm retracing the Doug Coombs steps in La Grave, vallons de la Meije (( France )) with Robert Cocuzzo . I already got my skis on, that is, the fat with more rocker and we are ready to ski the Trifide's couloirs . Yesterday we had a meeting with Pelle Lång, we talked about the enthusiastic personality of Doug - always upbeat-, also about his perfect turns at remarkable speeds, his sense of the perfect line and some conversations with him about Jackson Hole and Valdez'92 . In fact, he told us that Doug decided moving to La Grave for 2 reasons . First, cause he had found the same « wild & steep skiing » like in his memories in Valdez . Second, by his strongh admiration to Patrick Vallençant and Pierre Tardivel . (( Btw, Doug met both ))

I am with Piero Ghiglione and Ottorino Mezzalama in a long skiing trip from Cervinia to Gressoney (( il sentiero del Duemila )) . Both are teaching me « timeless things » about their modified ski gear and other skiing skills . Piero has invented something similar to Twintip skis, he calls it « attrezzi a doppia spatola » he says this will be very useful for the Telemark skiing . He doesn't still know it...Freestyle, rather

Last edited:
I'm going from book signing to book signing doing the odd spot of gardening in between.
O and there's wine, a lot of wine.

(Francis Plug: How To Be A Public Author)

This Monday of June at 4.36 pm (( my watch is 2 minutes fast )) I am in an adjacent waiting room to Dr. Jung's consultation in Switzerland . I am helping him to find an empirical explanation about the Synchronicity , that is, about « meaningful coincidence» and we have made major advances . While I am waiting my turn, i just realise that on the opposite wall the professor Jung has hung 2 watercolour paintings both with inscriptions, I read quietly... The first, Uetliberg - Zollikon and the second, Barrage d'Émosson ;-p

Last edited:
In full snowstorm with hurricane winds, I'm abseiling via the Northwest ridge of Gasherbrum IV next to Voytek Kurtyka, Robert Schauer and the Third man- this last « man » a bit more friendly -. Each downward step takes enormous effort, because we are manoeuvring between funnels for avalanches with only 10 remaining pitons, fighting exhaustion . The climb of the Shining Wall ( West Face ) in alpine-style had been of great technical difficulty - mixed terrain, exposed rock, extreme risk -. The wall offered few cracks into which they could placed protection . Their belays were often « psychological », because the rock was either completely rotten or of compact marble .

The initial motivation of Voytek was trace an aesthetic, elegant, futuristic line . He had been mesmerized by the architecture of this mountain and he was willing to achieve it, but he had a very clear limit...never go beyond of your own death

Last edited:
In an archeological site of the ancient city of Ur ( southern Mesopotamia, the modern-day Iraq ) with Leonard Woolley and Max Mallowan ( A.Christie's husband ) we're digging small trenches around the Royal Cemetery at Ur... Have been discovered 16 tombs in good conditions, there was a lot of sumerian objects such as : clay vases, limestone bowls, small bronze objects and assorted beads, but standing out the Queen Puabi's tomb where has been discovered a magnificent, golden headdress made of golden leaves, rings, and plates, a superb lyre complete with the golden and lapis-lazuli encrusted bearded bull's head, a profusion of gold tableware and jewels made out of beads of gold, silver, lapis-lazuli, carnelian & agate

Last edited:
In the bowels of the Earth, that is, inside a coal mine called « Mearns Pit » at High Littleton in the county of Somerset . Into the half-illuminated gloom, I'm with William Smith, we are musing about the Stratigraphical order in which the different types of rock were arranged ( their lithology )... From top to bottom, we can read Sandstone, Siltstone, Mudstone, Non-marine Band, Marine Band , Coal, Seat-earth, and then again Sandstone, Siltstone, Mudstone and on top of everything, the Red Marls ( I love it this kind of readings !! )

Last edited:
Back