• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Which e-reader do you own?

Which e-reader do you own?

• Total voters
I am leaning towards a Kobo, for my first e-reader :) mainly because I have heard you can register your account with an independent bookstore of your choice, then your store gets credit for books bought by you. Does anyone with a kobo have any info on how easy this is to do? And I heard you can link the store even if you are not currently there. What portion of book proceeds go to the store? I want to link my account with Powells books in Portland, OR as that is my true home <3 and favorite bookstore.

Ronny, I don't know how it works in the US but here, in Canada, Kobo is affiliated with the bookstore Chapters-Indigo. At one point Kobo was owned by Indigo but they've since sold it.

I prefer a tablet because then I can load apps to read all types of files. If you have a reader you are stuck. Right? I have Kindle, iBooks, Nook, Kobo and a few other lesser-known apps on both my iphone and tablet. Plus, I can do other things on my tablet. It's like a mini computer. And it was less expensive than some of those readers.

I prefer a tablet because then I can load apps to read all types of files. If you have a reader you are stuck. Right? I have Kindle, iBooks, Nook, Kobo and a few other lesser-known apps on both my iphone and tablet. Plus, I can do other things on my tablet. It's like a mini computer. And it was less expensive than some of those readers.

Um no finding an app that would read more than one or two formats for a tablet that actually worked was an epic pain in the rear end. Much prefer the e-reader for multi-format ease of use in loading books. The tablet is a right pain in the naartjie (citrus fruit :p)

I read that Kobo was Toronto based, it is still hard to find down here in North Carolina, so I would have to order one most likely.

I am very fond of tablets as well, but (this is embarrassing to admit) I tend to get distracted by the games. I will spend hours on Pocket Frogs and get no reading done. I figure getting a detecated e-reader will amend this.

I have a Kobo Touch eReader which I have been using for the past 3 years. I prefer the eReaders to tablets because the E Ink touch screen is easier on my eyes than the tablet displays with their harsher backlighting.

I read that Kobo was Toronto based, it is still hard to find down here in North Carolina, so I would have to order one most likely.

I am very fond of tablets as well, but (this is embarrassing to admit) I tend to get distracted by the games. I will spend hours on Pocket Frogs and get no reading done. I figure getting a detecated e-reader will amend this.

Kindle Paperwhite. You'll thank me later.

I received a Kindle Fire 7 for my birthday in January and love it! I was one of the last, never going to give up my paperbacks/hardbacks but I did.

I have one of the original Kindles, the one with the keyboard.

I was also one of those people who said they would never go over to the dark side, but I did and I have to admit I do love my Kindle. I would, however, always pick an actual physical book over an eBook if I had the choice. It's just a Kindle is more convenient.

I have the kindle fire. I love it. I would not trade it for anything in the world. So great to read on at night and check emails and my facebook.

(I'm not sure if I should post this here or start a new thread, so mods, please move if you see fit.)

My original, 4 years old Kobo Wifi finally went to the great e-heaven in the sky. One evening it was working, next morning - dead. I tried the usual re-set, internet search for solutions, etc. but had to resign myself to the fact that it had given me good years of reading and it was time to say farewell. Luckily, I'd bought a Kobo Touch - at a ridiculously low sale price - just weeks before so that my dh (who has Luddite tendencies) would have his own e-reader on our latest trip. The idea was that he would use the older Kobo and I'd get the shiny new Kobo Touch. Now, I'm back to where I started with one e-reader and two readers.

The Kobo Touch is nice and functional enough, but I'm wondering about getting something else as our second reader. I don't want a tablet, don't care about colour, games or net surfing. I just want an ereader 'for reading' that is easy on my old eyes, has wifi connectivity and decent battery life. I've been looking at the Kobo Glo and Kindle Paperwhite.

So dear fellow readers, any opinions or advice would be appreciated. :)

Ell, we both have the old, keyboard Kindles, but have also bought the Kindle Fire...it's great for reading. The font is adjustable (yay!), and the background can be changed as well. White, sepia, or even black. I use the sepia background and love it.

Ell, we both have the old, keyboard Kindles, but have also bought the Kindle Fire...it's great for reading. The font is adjustable (yay!), and the background can be changed as well. White, sepia, or even black. I use the sepia background and love it.
I've looked at the Kindle Fire, but it seems to have more "bells and whistles" than I was looking for. But I need the adjustable font for sure. These old eyes aren't what they used to be. I actually find reading on my Kobo with e-ink technology easier on my eyes than a regular paper book.

Does the Kindle Fire work well as a full-on tablet as well as ereader. My dh was thinking of getting a tablet, so this might be a good compromise?

I've looked at the Kindle Fire, but it seems to have more "bells and whistles" than I was looking for. But I need the adjustable font for sure. These old eyes aren't what they used to be. I actually find reading on my Kobo with e-ink technology easier on my eyes than a regular paper book.

Does the Kindle Fire work well as a full-on tablet as well as ereader. My dh was thinking of getting a tablet, so this might be a good compromise?

I use it as a mini tablet, but first and foremost as a reader. I can check email, and go to the websites I want to as well. I don't know if it qualifies as a "full on" tablet though. More or less. At least for my limited wants. Usually I only use those bits as a convenience. To avoid walking to the other end of the house for the desktop. :D I can post from it, but find it a little annoying.....I haven't found out how to copy and paste on it, for example.

Does the Kindle Fire work well as a full-on tablet as well as ereader.
I was wondering the exact same thing!
I use it as a mini tablet, but first and foremost as a reader. I can check email, and go to the websites I want to as well. I don't know if it qualifies as a "full on" tablet though. More or less.
Thanks for this pontalba, as I'm thinking of getting a Kindle Fire in the future... can't really justify it at the moment because my old Kindle is still going strong but I would like to get a tablet at some point so I can do a few other things on it and a Kindle Fire seems like a good option for what I need it for.

I use it as a mini tablet, but first and foremost as a reader. I can check email, and go to the websites I want to as well. I don't know if it qualifies as a "full on" tablet though. More or less. At least for my limited wants. Usually I only use those bits as a convenience. To avoid walking to the other end of the house for the desktop. :D I can post from it, but find it a little annoying.....I haven't found out how to copy and paste on it, for example.
Thanks for the info. I took a closer look online at the different Kindle Fires. There's quite a range in prices (from $149 to $399) for the various models. The ones that call themselves tablets still don't have the capabilities that we would need for work purposes (plus they're the expensive ones), so I guess that rules them out. :( The basic model looks good, but I check my email and look up things on my iphone, so seems redundant.

Sparky
, I think you have a Kindle Paperwhite. What's your verdict? Battery life? Fonts, etc.?

Anyone have a Kobo Glo?

Back