• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Which films or books have challenged the way you think?

How long have you been a vegetarian?

we need something more to guess. anything from Harris Thomas?

A woman writer?

Go start a new thread on 'general chat". we will go continue there.:)

by the way, someone was aking for help on the series you are reading in the search section. maybe you can help.:)

Go start a new thread on 'general chat". we will go continue there.:)

by the way, someone was aking for help on the series you are reading in the search section. maybe you can help.:)

i cant see anyone looking for info about the pellinor books?

Some movies and books that have really made me think about life are
The Pellinor books
The Shawshank redemption movie
The Astronaut Farmer
and a few others that i cant remember right now

What exactly did you mean by weird, ds? You understand its reasoning? I just found it pretty confusing. I got a sense sometimes that Ayn made one charactor's words ambiguous or contradictory. And did you think she wrote the world as black and white? I didn't see that. To me, it was like that there was a skyscraper with a vast of dwarfed bungalows. Hope I could be understood.

HI
I have read all of Ayn Rand's books and realized I had to approach them as novels of her personal philosophy ... which she said in interviews is exactly what she wanted to do. She was a person who certainly believed in Darwinism in that she felt people must compete in an open market and the best will succeed. She purported little of no govt. intervention in social policy ... pick yourself up by the bootstraps was her mantra.

Her books are difficult and have really gone out of favor although IMHO I think they should be read more and discussed. You can probably find a reading guide to it on of the zillion sites now offering them.

And when you wrote: "... it was like there was a skyscraper with a vast [world] of dwarfed bungalows." EXACTLY!!!! YOU UNDERSTOOD THE BOOK AND MADE YOUR IMPRESSION VERY CLEAR.

THE CHILDREN OF VIOLENCE + FOUR GATED CITY by DORIS LESSING changed my life and changed my perspective of things i had felt unhappy about because i didn't understnad my feelings.
Lessing seemed to be talking to me in those books.

I think The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde was one of the most fascinating books I've read; giving me a perspective on modern society I hadn't had before.

I also think The Double by Fyodor Dostoevsky is good because the whole story is about how a man's mind can be manipulated anddriven to madness if it is influenced in the right way. It was almost disturbing how real and terrible that power was

Back