• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Who are your favorite mystery writers?

I have a few

I love
Sandra Brown
Dean Koontz
Chris Blaine
Mary Higgins
Patrica Cornwell
Bentley Little
these a re few i could think of right now

It's good to see a few other Reichs fans. I'm actually not that big on mysteries but watching Bones got me hooked, despite the show/novels differences. I'm four chapters into Death Du Jour at the moment.

Kathy Reichs

I just read all of her books recently, except for the last one that I just bought today. The progression of the characters is very interesting to follow. You have a real treat ahead. :)

I like the Rumpole books too, by Mortimer, they're rather hilarious for mystery/ crime but that's a good thing, say I.

I posted this on another thread, but I can't seem to find anyone who has read that supreme cool author, Walter Moseley. He's absolutely fabulously spellbinding to me with his panoply of quirky characters, and great locales.

I can't find him even mentioned anywhere! Well, my fingers are crossed...

Bren, I've heard many wonderful things about Walter Mosley, but because of my habit of avoiding P.I. mysteries I haven't read any of his books yet. However, "panoply of quirky characters" are the magic words that make me think I should, and very soon!

Yeah, Min, they're neat, especially the later ones with Easy Rawlins or Socrates Fortlow. They're on the adult side though so if you're too young, wait a couple years.

PD James has my vote, also Elizabeth George...

liked the earlier Patricia Cornwall books, but of late they have seemed a little thin somehow...

Elizabeth Peters Amelia Peabody books keep me well entertained too... also Bernard Knight, Candace Robb, and Ellis Peters (Edith Pargeter) for medieval style mysteries.. love Cadfael! :)

My favorites are as follows
1. Micheal Connelly
2. Loren D Estleman
3. Lawrence Block
4. Ross Macdondald
5. James Hall
6. Dennis Lehane
7. Ed Mcbain
8. Robert Parker

There are so many others that it would be silly to even attempt to mention them all. I tend to go to read what ever catches my eye.

Crime writers, Elmore Leonard, John D. Macdonald, Donald Westlake, Tim Dorsey,

Oldies but goodies

The Nero Wolfe series by Rex Stout are a lot of fun and you can still get most of them from Bantom, but I think it is cool to look for old editions at garage sales and book sales. It is also hard to beat the Sherlock holmes series Conan-Doyle A Study in Scarlet is a great place to start. I don't think anyone mentioned James M. McCain his stuff is fun also. The Maltese Falcon by Hammet is also a great book and was a fine movie starring Humphrey Bogart. The Movie was true to the book, which is not always the case! Hope this helps

Sorry on the last one I meant James M. Cain. More of a suspense novelist but "The Postman Always Rings Twice" and "Double Immdemnity" are two great books which will hold your interests!

Someone earlier mentioned James Lee Burke. You don't get much better than him for mysteries. His writing is excellent. Start with the Dave Robicheaux series. Start with The Neon Rain

Harlan Coben
Michael Connelly
Greg Iles
Stephen Frey
David Balducci
Brad Meltzer
Phillip Margolin

Those are my favorite contemporaries. I love the old stuff too: Chandler, Thompson, Hammett.

Harlan Coben
Michael Connelly
Greg Iles
Stephen Frey
David Balducci
Brad Meltzer
Phillip Margolin

Those are my favorite contemporaries. I love the old stuff too: Chandler, Thompson, Hammett.
I have just started 'Tell no One'. my first book by Harlan Coben. It has started off well, quite gripping, so far. I think it is being released as a movie this year?

I have just started 'Tell no One'. my first book by Harlan Coben. It has started off well, quite gripping, so far. I think it is being released as a movie this year?

I read 'Tell no one' about 2 yrs ago. Being a big fan of thriller novels I have a reasonably high expectation when starting a new novel. But, all throughout the whole book I was gripped. Highly reccommend it to all thriller novel fan.
I really hope we do see this later made into a film.

Back