• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Who are your favorite mystery writers?

Patricia Cornwell
Janet Evanovich
Mary Higgins clark (though not what she used to be)
Carl Hiaasen
Dean Koontz
John Grisham (also not what he used to be)
Robin Cook
Just to name a few:)

my fav authors!

My author list would include:
- Jeffrey Deaver
- Thomas Harris
- Phillip Margolin
- Arthur Conan Doyle
- P. J. Tracy
- Ken Follett
- Mario Puzo

nighthawk, I am anxiously waiting to see if you have read James Lee Burke's latest, "Crusader'S Cross. I would like your reaction and comments on the book. He is one of my favorite authors.

Arthur Conan Doyle
Robert Bloch
Lynda S. Robinson (I adore her Lord Meren series!)

Those are the only ones who are coming to mind at the moment. I don't read as much mystery as I would like to most of the time.

Sharyn McCrumb-I love her Ballad series, can't wait for the next one

Nevada Barr-Anna Pigeon series-I always learn a lot about whichever park Anna is stationed at)

J.A Jance-I prefer the Joanna Brady series

Shirley R. Murphy-Joe Grey series( talking cats-too fun)

Janet Evanovitch-Stephanie Plum makes me laugh(don't loan your car to this woman!)

Diana Mott Davidson-Goldy Baer series

My preference lies with the police procedural / forensic writers at the moment, so amongst my favourites are Kathy Reichs, Jeffery Deaver & Patricia Cornwell. I've also heard tess Gerritsen has a very similar style, but whilst I own several of her books I haven't got round to reading them yet.

Sar said:
My preference lies with the police procedural / forensic writers at the moment, so amongst my favourites are Kathy Reichs, Jeffery Deaver & Patricia Cornwell. I've also heard tess Gerritsen has a very similar style, but whilst I own several of her books I haven't got round to reading them yet.

Tess Gerritsen is Brilliant! :)

What books have you got of hers?

Tess Gerritsen-wise I have The Surgeon, The Apprentice & The Sinner, I do keep on meaning to read them but have such a HUGE pile of books awaiting reading that the keep getting overlooked. Am hoping she is in the same vein as Kathy Reichs

P. D. James writes unusual mysteries. Her situations and her characters are memorable and Adam Dalgleish is quite real to me. (I suspect that I may be just a little bit in love with him.)

I'd buy one of P. D. James new books sight unseen and in a heartbeat.

Sar said:
Tess Gerritsen-wise I have The Surgeon, The Apprentice & The Sinner, I do keep on meaning to read them but have such a HUGE pile of books awaiting reading that the keep getting overlooked. Am hoping she is in the same vein as Kathy Reichs

The three books you have got are really good!
Hope you enjoy them! :)

I posted on this thread already, but would like to add one of my favorite authors whom I forgot to mention:

Dennis Lehane - all his books are good but my favorite is "Mystic River"

Esther

I enjoy an occasional Agatha Christie and Sue Grafton, but I particularly like Ian Rankin and Stephen Booth. More 'crime' than mystery perhaps - are they generally considered the same thing, or if not, what's the distinction?

Robert Barnard, Agatha Christie, Caroline Graham, Reginald Hill…
I find Rex Stout's Nero Wolfe series intermittently addicting—maybe because he has so many "Omnibuses":confused: surely not Omnibi:p
Oh, and I ADORE John Mortimer's Rumpole series.

For those who like historical mysteries

I'd suggest you try novels by Janet Gleeson. She doesn't seem to be well-known. I picked up " the grenadillo box " at a bookstore by chance some months ago and absolutely loved it. Recently, I read " the serpent in the garden" which I enjoyed just as much. Both books take place in London in 1750. The pacing is slow and those who like twisted plots might be disappointed. I'd rather recommend them to those who like classic mysteries. She has only written three novels so far.

lol, my favorite mystery writers are the writers for the show CSI.:p ok i know you meant novel writers but those guys are so damn good!!:D

abecedarian said:
Shirley R. Murphy-Joe Grey series( talking cats-too fun)

ME TOO! She really catches the personality of Cats. :)

Also:
Sue Grafton
Kathy Reichs
Anne Perry (all series) Her new one centered around WWI is really good too.
L. Block especially his newer series..... "Hit Man", etc.
Harlan Coben
Carole Nelson Douglas--she has another series besides the Midnight Louie one that is based on Sherlock Holmes' Irene Adler
Dick Francis
Early Lilian Jackson Braun.......her cats are neat too.
Doyle of course

I read the review of the new James Lee Burke. I don't know how I have missed him all these years! Remedy at hand.....:)

Back