• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Who is your favorite fictional character and why?

Sarah Woodruff from "The French Lieutenant's Woman", which is coincidentally one of my all time favorite novels. I love that she is such a proto-feminist, not afraid to be who she is at a time (Victorian England) when women weren't allowed to be anything other than wives or domestics. I also like that her motives are not necessarily the obvious ones, and that she works from an agenda that's all her own and difficult to decipher, even after having read the book several times.

My favourite character is also Hercule Poirot and for all the same reasons. I've just finished reading Agatha Christie's autobiography, it was brilliant! :)

Alex from A Clockwork Orange. LOL. You just have to love how he rapes a woman in front of her husband. And how he seduces ten yr old girls. And the music, the music! :p

Again I would say there's so many.

Ford Prefect, Pratchett's Death, Prince Myshkin, Puddleglum obviously, Drizzt D'Urden and Pi to name a few.

As for a favourite, at the moment it's Bruce Campbell in How to Make Love the Bruce Campbell Way.

Why? Because it's Bruce and I'm not ashamed to say I'm a Deadite. Plus he's hilarious.

Favorite Character?

What is your favorite character from a book?
I would have to say mine is Elizabeth Bennet from Pride and Prejudice.
I like Mr. Darcy also.

venusunfolding said:
Ms Celie from The Color Purple
Weetzie from the Weetzie Bat Books
Cathy from the Flowers in the Attic series (odd i know)

Definitely agree with Celie!

Hated Cathy though, much preferred Chris and in the later ones, Carrie, and that doctor fella :)

Scratchy said:
Hector from Homer's Iliad for his heightened sense of obligation, duty, and love for his family / country: fights in a war that he does not believe in, but does so because he understands that not doing so would result in dire consequences of loved ones. Typical "torn hero" characterisation, but love him nonetheless. Can't think of a favourite female character at the moment, but will post once it hits me :)

i agree with you.

how about helen? (lol-i was kidding!!!!!!! )

Jamie from the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon. He is the literary sweetheart of every woman (and possibly even some men) *drool*

MonkeyCatcher said:
Jamie from the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon. He is the literary sweetheart of every woman (and possibly even some men) *drool*

OH YEAH!

Ian Malcolm of Jurassic Park and The Lost World by Michael Crichton. I just love this charater, I like the seriousness, the no-B.S. attitude, the chaos theories, and just how he denounces and describes a lot of things.

Oh this is a hard one. Well I really like Mr. Darcy from Pride and Prejudice (I've posted this novel a couple of times now...can anyone tell I really like it...lol...). I like male characters that are pains in the neck on the outside and softies (but still masculine) on the inside (yes, I'm a romantic I'll admit it). I also like Renard from The Dark Queen by Susan Carroll. He's very similar to Mr. Darcy :rolleyes: .

My all time favorite fictional character however (and sorry for posting so much before this grand finale) is Amber, from Forever Amber by Kathleen Winsor. I have NEVER read a character, where the author has such skill that she can make you first feel bad for the character, then incredulous that the character is so dumb, then hate the character so much. This is an amazing woman that Kathleen Winsor created and I just love her.

I have two.

Hazel from Watership Down and Innigo Montoya from The Princess Bride Obviously for different reasons but I enjoyed each of them immensly.

I have two.

Hazel from Watership Down and Innigo Montoya from The Princess Bride Obviously for different reasons but I enjoyed each of them immensly.

LOL! Excellent choices... and who knows, probably long-lost spirit cousins.

"Hello, my name is Hazel-Rah. You destroyed my warren. Prepare to have Thlayli chew on your ears."

(Actually Bigwig is probably my favourite WD character... sort of Obelix to Hazel's Asterix. Uh-oh, now I'm getting really cross-referential... )

;-)

Hmmmm, thats a tough choice.
I don't think I have only one fav, thats just to hard to pick, but a few male characters that stand out to me are.......
Mr.Darcy from Pride and Prejudice because though he's not the most easy going man he has a good heart and is loyal to those he cares for.
Halloween from Nick Sagan's Idlewild, yeah he's got a little angst going on but wouldn't you if you found out your entire world was fake and someone was trying to kill you?
And Acheron from Sherrilyn Kenyon's Dark Hunter series, basically because he's my favorite vampire ever!

As far as female chacarters go I've enjoyed....
Elizabeth Bennett from Pride and Prejudice, because she has her own mind and doesn't conform to what everyone thinks she should be.
Clarissa Rue Hawthorne from Shana Abé's The Smoke Thief, another heroine who just wants her freedom, and I wanted to see her get it.
And Violet Mathers from Lorna Landvik's Oh My Stars, this book had me in tears more then once, and reading about all the things that Violet went through and overcame was very moving.

Sir Percy Blakeney from Baroness Orczy's Scarlet Pimpernel books would be my favorite character at present. He's gallant and bold, risking his life to save not only the aristocrats in danger from the guillotine, but also the other innocents who get caught up in the Reign of Terror. He will play the part of the fool to prevent anyone from suspecting him of being the elusive floral hero. Also he is very romantic and the absolute love he feels for his wife is so touching.

Back