• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Who is your favourite author, and why?

Michel Faber ( Under the Skin, Crimson Petal and the White etc) is a stunningly original writer who nevers disappoints. Ray Bradbury is in a class of his own too - an absolute master who even today has few serious rivals in his genre. Those two would probably top my list.

Dickens. Dostoevsky. Tolstoy. Depends who I'm reading I guess. Of what I have read my favourite would be one of those three. Current favourite living author is probably Atwood.

Favourite books

I can't name any favourite books because as soon as i think of one another comes to mind to take its place but i really loved Garcia Marques's About Love and Other Demons and the book of happyness by Nina Berberova, I also enjoy japanese authors a lot...

Brenda Terzian, author and screenplay writer

Hi everyone.
:) My most recent favorite author, who I found out also writes movie screenplays, is Brenda Terzian who some critics are comparing her writings to the eeriness of Edgar Allan Poe. I haven't read it yet, but I plan to soon, her newest book Warrior Poet Verses , is supposed to be developed into a movie by a production company. I did read A Poetry Memoir which I recommend highly. It received good ratings, and the author has received letters from famous persons, such as Arnold Schwarzennegger, Pres. Jacques Chirac, Gov. Jeb Bush, Mel Gibson, and the Queen of England, and some others.
I'll write about it when I read Warrior Poet Verses, which I am purchasing.:)

Philippa Gregory is my favorite she writes books on historical fiction. I've read almost all her novels and I have to say that while I was reading them I wasn't able to put them down (except for The Virgins Lover). Her books are always descriptive but not in so much detail that while reading your thinking ok let's get on with it...It's because of her novel The other Boleyn Girl that I started reading about the tudors....and now I just can't seem to get enough historical fiction.

voicetotheworld said:
My most recent favorite author, who I found out also writes movie screenplays, is Brenda Terzian who some critics are comparing her writings to the eeriness of Edgar Allan Poe.

Er, that's you!

I don't tend to have favourites, but some authors I really like, in no particular order of preference, are:

Jane Austen
Leon Uris
James A Mitchener
Katherine Kerr
Frank Peretti
J R R Tolkien

Has anyone read Per Olov Enquist? I've not read this author yet so have no opinion but did just read a review of the book entitled Lewi's Journey and wonder if anyone is familiar with the author.

Thanks,
Nancy

Nancy I've heard good things but have never actually read any.

My favorite author is Dean Koontz. He's the only author I've found in my short life that I consistantly enjoy.
Fave picks:
Seize the night
Fear Nothing
False Memory
The Frankenstein series

If anyone else out there has another author they enjoy who has written multiple satisfying reads, outside of the mainstream obvious one's, I'd be really interested to try them!!!!

Maybe because you are consistently reading the same book.

Dog? check!
Twilight? check!
Sodium colored lights? check!

Thanks for the reply regarding author Peter Olov Enquist. I've not read any of Dean Koontz' books, though I've seen a slew of them on the library shelves.

Nancy

^ I agree - I've found his books so hard to get into. Watchers is the only one I enjoyed.

My favourite authors would be Margaret Atwood and Stephen King. :)

Nancy said:
Has anyone read Per Olov Enquist? I've not read this author yet so have no opinion but did just read a review of the book entitled Lewi's Journey and wonder if anyone is familiar with the author.

Thanks,
Nancy

I've read one of his books, the royal physicians visit. I enjoyed it, and i'm planning to buy his latest book about Marie Curie and Blanche Wittman.

He is well known in europe for his particular type of historical fiction, and is often said to be one of the few possible scandinavian canditates for the Nobel Prize in literature.

After having read a few of her novels and adoring the exploits of the Scarlet Pimpernel, I think I can safely say that Emmuska Orczy is my favorite author at the moment.

My favorite author is Brian Jacques. He is the author of the Redwall series, and a couple of other books. He also is working on a series of books that have to do with pirates.

Jane Austin
Sherrilyn Kenyon
Nora Roberts
Nicholas Sparks
Nick Sagan
Juliet Marillier
Lewis Carroll
Robert Frost
William Shakespeare

Back