• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Who is your favourite author, and why?

RESOLUTION: Become a morning person!

For me, it is JASON MRAZ .. I know, I know, he is a singer, but if you check out his web-site you'll notice that he is great with polaroids and words too:

"Happy New Year to all my freaks, geeks and friends! How’s life on the Internet? It’s been a while since I’ve posted anything here. That bums me out. It’s one of my resolutions to do this more often. Other resolutions include: remember to brush your teeth before going to bed, write to grandma once a week, remember to pay dad’s cable bill (I got him high-speed internet for Christmas to bring him into the 21st century and cut down his download time as he’s always searching for more interesting clips about his son), eat more fruit, stretch, play the lotto, learn a new language, become a morning person (that one’s left over from last year), finish my book, make a record, build a house, raise cattle, finger paint, floss, and gain those three desired inches (I get enough emails that offer great ways to do so.) "

Now what do you think? I especially love his resolution of "becoming a morning person" and then saying that "that one's left over from last year." I think it is hilarious! But maybe that is just silly me?​

I just realized I never posted my favorite authors in this thread.

Here are mine (In no particular order):

Anne McCaffrey (Dragonriders Series)
Fannie Flagg
Tom Clancy
Terry Pratchett
Doulgas Adams

Isaac Asimov
J.R.R. Tolkien
Fyodor Dostoevsky
Auldous Huxley
Robin Hobb
Terry Pratchett
Hayao Miyazaki

There are, naturally, many, many more, but that will do as a quick list. I resisted the urge to add Douglas Adams as H2G2 is simply far better-suited to its original home, the radio series, and it is there that Adams displays his true genius. Nonetheless one should read all of his books.

Some of my favourites are probably:

Peter Ackroyd
Paul Auster
Graham Swift
Ian McEwan
Nicola Barker
Will Self
Italo Calvino
Umberto Eco
David Mitchell
Iain Banks

Non-Fiction:

John Gray
George Monbiot
Theodore Zeldin
Sven Linqvuist
Richard Dawkins
W G Sebald

However hard I think about this I can't come up with one particular favourite, but the following do seem to be predominant on my bookshelves:

Charles Dickens
Joseph Heller
Salman Rushdie
John Steinbeck
Jack kerouac
Angela Carter
Aldous Huxley
Primo Levi
Peter Ackroyd
Eric Hobsbawm

Bernard Cornwell
J.R.R. Tolkien
Harry Harrison
Isaac Asimov
Jean Auel
Michael Chrichton
Megan Lindholm

Probably loads more I've forgotten to mention but as most of my books are boxed up I can't check :(

Favorite authors (sorry, can't name just one)

James Joyce
William Faulkner
Henry Miller
D.H Lawrence

Honorable Mentions to Douglas Adams, Anais Nin, and the Bronte sisters.

Irene Wilde

My all-time favourites are:

J.M.Barrie
J.R.R.Tolkien
C.S.Lewis
Lewis Carroll
Emily Bronte
L.M.Montgomery
Cornelia Funke
Arthur Ransome
R.L.Stevenson
Louisa May Alcott
A.A.Milne
Arthur Conan Doyle
E.Nesbit

Favourite authors:
Jane Austen, JRR Tolkein, Jules Verne
and one I believe I share with none : Mary R Rinehart.

nauric

Mary Roberts Rinehart was an American author around early 20th century who wrote all kinds of fiction (humour, detective, general) and several of whose stories I happened to read as a teenager (circular staircase, bab a sub deb, when a man marries, the man in lower 10) and found them a good read ( simple and funny enough ). She often wrote in the first person, and I liked her best then, the narrator being a not so perfect but a most likeable character and always in the thick of the action.
Regards.
nauric

I haven't answered in this thread because I find it difficult to winnow the selection down, but I suppose Voltaire and Poe would be my two list-toppers.

i love clive barker, jane austen and wilbur smith. how's that for variety?? :p they are my top 3, love them all

Back