• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Who is your favourite author, and why?

deja vu!
didn't we have this convo before? about barker being sexy? lol
what is your favorite barker book?

ah you know, i've never seen them. i always assumed they were gory, and i'm not much into cinematic gore. i've really only read his books,which can get pretty gory, but i can 'black and white' my imagination somewhat.

I like special effects, especially non-computer effects. it seems like the horror film genre is the most innovative of all the other genres because you get to design giant man-eating worms, aliens, zombies, etc, and dead corpses for them to feast on, as well as other cool, gorey stuff. I think the hellraiser films were awesome, the special effects were especially fun. I really liked those hellhounds.

horror films are great. I mean, what other genre lets you have hell hounds and man-eating worms?

very good points. but sci-fi (my second favorite genre) lets you get pretty nuts. sci-fi horror must be right up your alley

ooh- i can't pick just one! here are a few i love, in no particular order:

twelve monkeys
alien
dune
the war of the worlds
planet of the apes
the matrix (they shoulda left it after the first one)
star wars
the fifth element
mad max
terminator and T2
the abyss
the andromeda strain
pitch black

as you can see, i'm a big fan of post-apocalyptic stuff

jenem, one thing I never understood was how unpopular dune has been. even the actors have discredited it, but I still can't find anything wrong with the film. though, all of david lynch's films are great, especially eraserhead and twin peaks: fire walk with me. those are great. if I could write like that guy can, I'd never leave my house.

SillyWabbit said:
No Blade Runner or Brazil? :eek: :)
Blade Runner was pretty good, but didn't hold my attention the way the others did. Also, I found some parts predictable (I haven't yet read Do Androids Dream... tho it's on my list). I haven't seen Brazil. I should rent that sometime.

bobbyburns said:
jenem, one thing I never understood was how unpopular dune has been. even the actors have discredited it, but I still can't find anything wrong with the film. though, all of david lynch's films are great, especially eraserhead and twin peaks: fire walk with me. those are great. if I could write like that guy can, I'd never leave my house.

i can't understand that, either. it's a movie that demands your full attention and is worth the effort, as far as i'm concerned. i found it a very good adaptation of the book. i haven't seen eraserhead, but twin peaks was excellent.

It'd be impossible for me to pick just one, and I'm sure that after I wade through some other books in my giant pile by authors I've never read before (James Joyce, Haruki Murakami, Joseph Conrad, amongst others) I'll have an entirely new set of favorites, but for now these are it:

Charles Bukowski, Toni Morrison, Hermann Hesse, Mikhail Bulgakov, Robert Anton Wilson, Robert Holdstock, Philip Pullman, and on and on...

Paulo Coelho

For me is PAULO COELHO ;) I recommend look at the author's website
www.paulocoelho.com

And read the books Eleven Minutes, The Alchemist, The Valkyries , The fifth Mountain, Manual of the warrior of light, The Pilgrimage, By the river Piedra I sat down and wept.... My personal favourites so far is Eleven Minutes.

:)

I like a lot of authors so it would be hard to find a favourite, I like Chris Ryan, Andy McNab, John Grisham, Tom Clancy, Dale Brown and Stephen Coonts.
I also like the works of William F. Owen (Blackfoot is Missing is an excellent read!).

Nick Pope, Jeffrey Deaver and Gerald Seymour also rate pretty highly (IMHO)

I'd have to say Sartre is my favorite, if anyone is familar with him (I haven't noticed much philosophy being discussed here)
Other than that: Dostoevsky, Kafka, and Camus are all pretty good.

Back