• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Who is your favourite author, and why?

Originally posted by TownBear
john grisham... he writes books for guys.. i dun like 'em too much
Interesting....

What makes you say that they're just for guys?

i dunno, just the way he writes... seems sort of ... more the male physique
i've never found his books interesting (just me i guess)
but i came up with that opinion after hearing how many men i personally know that like his books and how many girl friends i have that don't
:D

I think I've only read one Grisham-book, but that one was enough for me to know that I shouldn't read any more by him. I don't know. It just didn't work for me...

Which book was it lies? Some are not as good as his other. I personally think that "The Firm" was his best of the ones I've read.

Let me consult the book then. That would have been... --ah, here it is: The Pelican Brief. My gosh, how could I have forgotten? :confused:

Guess you're really not Grisham fan then :( I quite enjoyed Pelcian Brief.

Any other authors people like? Do you tend to stick with a small group of authors or try to read a wide variety?

I remember walking into a bookshop and picking up a David Eddings. I'd heard a lot of praise for his stuff, so I thought I'd give "The Diamond Throne" a try. Loved it, and read other two in the series back-to-back.

i rarely pick books by author, i pick by what grabs my interest looking around the bookstore

sometimes if i read a book and it's really good, i may actually seek out another ont by the same author

or if i've read one i really didnt like, i keep that author in mind and remember to not get anymore of their books lol

i rarely pick books by author, i pick by what grabs my interest looking around the bookstore

sometimes if i read a book and it's really good, i may actually seek out another ont by the same author

or if i've read one i really didnt like, i keep that author in mind and remember to not get anymore of their books lol

I think that's how most people go about it -- including me.

There are of course authors I prefer, but there aren't any "rules"... I mean, even if I didn't like The Pelican Brief, it's still possible that I would like another John Grisham-book... But because I didn't like the first one, I won't be inclined to read another one by him.

Maybe that makes me prejudiced, and maybe I should work on that... :)

no... keep to that and dont read anymore by grisham ;) lollll
There I am, trying to become a better person, and you're trying to stop me? You're evil! :p

My favorite author is a tie between Tom Clancy and Dale Brown. Rainbow Six by Clancy might be my favorite novel, I've read it three times. Brown, having been a former captain in the Air Force, tends to really know what he's talking about more though but his plots are usually a little far fetched at times.

I don't really read a wide variety of authors or genres. Whenever I'm at the book store, I'm usually looking around the same area for books by the same few authors.

I haven't read John Gresham, though I've seen the movie The Pelican Breif and was mildly intrigued by it.

Joanne Harris

My favourite author at the moment is Joanne Harris. Having seen the film 'Chocolat', I was enticed into reading the Whitbread-shortlisted book which inspired the film. Her writing really appeals to the senses, evoking the colours, textures, tastes and scents of food and wine - she injects magic into the everyday. The indulgent sense of pleasure in 'Chocolat' was a welcome relief after previously reading Bridget Jones's Diary - a nice change to read a book which celebrates chocolate without guilt!

Equally indulgent writing is evident in her other books 'Blackberry Wine' and 'Five Quarters of the Orange', though the latter has a more bitter taste to it.

I am currently reading her latest novel 'Coastliners', but would like to get hold of the earlier novels 'Sleep, Pale Sister' and 'The Evil Seed', if possible.

ok here comes the list ...

5.Herman Hesse
4.Nawal El Saadawi
3.Albert Camus
2.Michel Houellebecq
1. has to be Umberto Eco

Originally posted by Darren Lewis
Some are not as good as his other. I personally think that "The Firm" was his best of the ones I've read.

I thoroughly enjoyed "The Partner." The ending made the story.

Jill

Darren,
I do like John Grisham's books. I enjoyed to read 'The Parnther'. I forget other one title. These are my favourite ones. I have ' The Street Lawyer' and The Testaments' as well but I haven't read them yet.

Just one author? That's tough. So, let me cheat a little with some qualifications. If you go by repeat readings, its Rex Stout (I think I've read each of the Nero Wolfe mysteries 4 or 5x). If you are talking about the classics, its Joseph Conrad. And, among modern authors, I have to go with Chuck Rosenthal (his Loop trilogy, now out of print, is a work of genius).
Over the years, I've read two Grisham books. They left me completely cold (no offense to Grisham or his fans). Umberto Eco (also mentioned here) is a puzzlement. Name of the Rose and Foucault's Pendulum were great. The Island of the Day Before was dreadful. Go figure.

Hermann Hesse was my fav for a long time....now I believe that Josephine Hart has taken the cake....After getting a hold of Damage, I was hooked and read three more of her books soon after....quite amazing

Back