• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Why do we like collecting books?

trames

The thread that has a vote on how many books you own, prompted me to ask why DO we like to collect so many books?

One of the posts said that they buy 10 books a month! I know you can't be reading all of them. So there must be something deeper.

For me, I like older used books the best. I don't really care for many of today's books that contain graphic sex, violence and vulgar language. I love going into a used bookstore and perusing the hardback books. What is it about that? Does seeing a shelf full of different sizes and colors of books have some asthetic appeal? I read some of the posts that say they have whole lofts full of books. I would like that too, but I don't know exactly why.

Awaiting your insights......

--Tim

I wasn't the one buying 10 books a month, but I do average ten books per month in reading.

I am obsessive about buying books...I learn of a new author/new book I'm interested in and I just have to have a book by that author or the book (say a new book from a favorite author) almost right then...just in case I get in the mood to read it. Reading is a bit of a passion for me.

I do like owning my own books, rather than borrowing. I think this is because I want to go back and re-read them if I like them enough, and there is just something about having one's own copy. I also don't watch tv or very many movies, so books are my primary form of entertainment, which increases my obsession for them.

What she said lol

Pretty much same for me :) Also, I would add, I do love the look and smell of them. But then... I'm a bit weird lol

Regards
SillyWabbit

Originally posted by trames
One of the posts said that they buy 10 books a month! I know you can't be reading all of them.

That would probably have been me and I don't read them all.

I buy a mixture of fiction and non-fiction so I have collections of novels by Eco, Ballard, Banks, Rice, and loads more and at the same time I have non-fiction books on topics such as the history of the banshee, the Celts, Russia's Cultural history, compuer programming, language learning guides, witchcraft, and Thelema.

Originally posted by VTChEwbecca
I am obsessive about buying books...I learn of a new author/new book I'm interested in and I just have to have a book by that author or the book (say a new book from a favorite author) almost right then...just in case I get in the mood to read it. Reading is a bit of a passion for me.

I understand that sentiment completely. The minute I hear of a new author I'm on my way to Borders, Waterstones, or WH Smith, or if I'm at work, logging onto Amazon.

Hmmm... As I have said I like hardbacks. It sure would be nice to know if a book is going to win a literary prize or something up front :) ! Some of these first editions can become quite valuable.

Are there any super book scholars in this forum that can tell us to "Buy that one, it will be worth a fortune someday!"

Trames,
I may have been the 10 book a week guy (I don't remember). At any rate, while I would agree with the motivations for the compulsive ownership of books, I hope that I am honest enough with myself to admit that there are deeper motivations. I don't really make a secret of the fact that buying books is a form of self-medication for me. Some people garden, some drink Wild Turkey, I buy books.
Also, there is appeal to my possessive tendencies. Everyone needs something in their lives that they can control. Once I buy a book, it is my for as long as I decide to keep it. Some people try to own their spouses, others clutch compulsively to their children, I own my books.

I don't buy them for their monetary value either. Most books that are worth a lot of money now were considered very good writing at the time they were published.

Consider the book Fahrenheit 451. Suppose you were shopping at your favorite grocery store way back when it was first published. You read the dustcover and thought "Hmmm looks interesting" and you tossed it in your cart along with your bagels and cheese. You didn't even look to see if it was a first edition or not (it was). Several years later you decide to sell some of your books on Ebay to make room for more. Low and behold that first edition F451 is now worth several hundred dollars! That's what I'm talking about... :)

Most people collect something, I notice. Books are more functional than most things, at least.

What books you own are an indicator of your interest, goals, your whole personality. I find out a lot about people by perusing their shelves.

the love of reading

I started buying books because my local library (even the vacation borrowing time) does not let me borrow them for as long as I can read them. I continued because I started with a series and why not get all the series. I suddenly liked the way the shelves were getting a lbraryesque feel and still continue to collect. I am now on my second big bookcase. And the #1 reason: for the love of reading!!!!!!!!!!

I find that I get really attatched to stories that I read, and can't stand returning them to a libary. I love owning those stories, and I read them over and over again, and it's not the same experience if you read them out of different books each time, if you know what I mean.

I think it's also just a collecting impulse. I love looking at a bookshelf full of books I love. I find it extremly satisfying to add to the collection.

Why?... Umm... Would you rather have your oxygen tank at a store or at yourr house when you need it?.....
I think that's how it is for me...

It's a great hobby. My happiest moments are spent looking for, purchasing, and getting lost in my new books. What's not to love? :D

With the rise of Internet, never before has information been available in such abundant quantities, but its form is transient, fast-changing and the space it occupies is intangible. Printed books on the other hand are solids that stake a physical claim over space. For me, collecting books seems to be a simple habit on one level but on a more intimate and perhaps self-indulgent level it is a symbolic attempt to fill the media-induced hollow of life with solid, intellectual matter.

I'm not sure if other's will agree with this but it is my feeling...for now anyway...and this marks my first post on thebookforum.com! Greetings to all!

A W Eglinton.

SillyWabbit said:
But then... I'm a bit weird lol
Only a bit? ;)

Stewart said:
That would probably have been me and I don't read them all.

I buy a mixture of fiction and non-fiction so I have collections of novels by Eco, Ballard, Banks, Rice, and loads more and at the same time I have non-fiction books on topics such as the history of the banshee, the Celts, Russia's Cultural history, compuer programming, language learning guides, witchcraft, and Thelema.

I can fully agree with this - whilst at university I could easily buy 10 books a week, though this included several computing books - some of which have never been opened, most are just for reference :rolleyes:

Not only do I buy more than 10 books a month, I read that many in a fortnight. I collect books because they make me happier than anything on earth! I stare at them, touch them, smell them... as I once said to an extremely religious person who wanted to borrow one of my books "This is MY religion". Needless to say, the book came back as if it hadn't been read (it had) and in a ziplock plastic baggie!

I love to collect books. I spent entirely too much money on them. I buy second hand and brand new books. There's nothing more satisfying for me than to have my own library space, with shelves filled with my books, knowing I can pick them up at my leisure and to read at my leisure.

Hah, enlightenment! I think I know now why personally I buy so many books, even though knowing full well I can't possibly finish them before buying more. And my flash of insight is: to fill up my dream library.

Ah, I feel better now.

ds

I collect books because when I want to read one I always buy it, because I can't borrow as I hate to give them back. Its also really satisfying to have so many. Plus it looks impressive when someone comes over and you can show them racks of books. The only thing that makes you look more intelligent is a Phd on the wall.

Like everyone else has stated, I love the feeling of owning books and being able to pick them off the shelf at my own leisure. However, my compulsive urge to keep buying books is in constant battle with my urge to keep everything organized. (What is the opposite of a pack rat?) As a result, I've sifted through my collection and donated books I haven't enjoyed or have been imposed on me as required reading material. That way, I'm left with a collection of books I truly love and want to keep.

Back