• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Why do we like collecting books?

I like to collect books for three reasons. The first (and probably biggest) is that I like to pass books along to other people. If I got books from the library I wouldn't be able to do this. I could recomend books, but then who knows if the person ever gets their hands on a copy. If I have the book on hand I don't need to worry. Sometimes my books come back to me and I can share them again. If they don't make it back, I rarely stress over it.

The second reason is that I might want to re-read something. My reading moods really vary. Sometimes all I want to do is read something I've already read. There are a couple books that I have gotten rid of through bookcrossing and I regret not having them to reread.

The third reason is that I think I may want to read them someday and should have them on hand. A lot of these are classics (Shakespear, Dumas, Homer, etc).

mehastings said:
The first (and probably biggest) is that I like to pass books along to other people.
Oh la la. Can I come over and do some choice pickings? :D

I, uhm, can't really do this. I terribly lousy at borrowing books.

ds

direstraits said:
Oh la la. Can I come over and do some choice pickings? :D

I, uhm, can't really do this. I terribly lousy at borrowing books.

ds
heh. That would be OK. Some of my friends aren't either, and my mother. She's had books of mine for years. When I finally get them back they are all mangled and look like they've been wet. I'm not so sure what she does to them.

Oops. Explanation. I have no problems coming over and do some choice pickings, and since you don't stress over books not returned, let's just say your chances of seeing the books I picked up from your shelves are less likely than Michael Jackson brawling in a bar.

I also meant to write "I am terribly lousy at *lending* books." I don't know why the word "borrowing" came out. :D I feel like I'll never see my beloved books again, and it's a feeling I intend to keep to a minimum once my library is up.

I can't stand to 'borrow' books, coz that means I'd have to return them. Having to return my friend's excellent Timothy Zahns scarred my (then) young mind. :eek:

ds

direstraits said:
since you don't stress over books not returned, let's just say your chances of seeing the books I picked up from your shelves are less likely than Michael Jackson brawling in a bar.

HAHAHA!! :D

If the book isn't there, then at 3am, when you can't sleep and JUST must re-read a line that is driving you nuts... what will you do?
Or, if you need to prove a point in a discussion, if the book isn't there, that would be the end of the discussion.
Not to mention how comforting it is on a stormy day, to light a fire, and reach for a few favorites. You never know what mood you will be in with respect to what you want to read, so having a lot of books there insures comfort, as well as security of knowing that you could not possibly be caught with nothing to read?
(although I have said that, surrounded with rooms full of books.)
vi

I love acquiring books! I have a lot that are library rejects I bought for 50 cents, or found second-hand, and a lot were my parents (or other relatives). Hence most are falling apart and are old.
My parents have never really bought me books (for b'days and stuff) because they claim I read too fast, and I only buy books for myself when I really want the book and know I'll reread it to death.
I like having something to read when I'm bored, and that if I want the book in the future, I know I'll be able to find it because I have it.

Stewart said:
I buy a mixture of fiction and non-fiction so I have collections of novels by Eco, Ballard, Banks, Rice, and loads more and at the same time I have non-fiction books on topics such as the history of the banshee, the Celts, Russia's Cultural history, compuer programming, language learning guides, witchcraft, and Thelema.

I realize this post is old, but I wonder what books you would recommend on banshees and the Celts.

Why do we like collecting books? Because we're nerds! *avoids rotten tomatoes*
But seriously, I think that if a person owns a great amount of books, they own a great amount of thoughts and ideas and personalities and lives not their own. Whether they've read them or not, the possession of those things drives them to collect more. And besides, you can never own too many books. (I actually know a girl who collects them because she thinks they make her look smarter, even though she only reads a few of them.)

ValkyrieRaven88 said:
But seriously, I think that if a person owns a great amount of books, they own a great amount of thoughts and ideas and personalities and lives not their own. Whether they've read them or not, the possession of those things drives them to collect more. And besides, you can never own too many books. (I actually know a girl who collects them because she thinks they make her look smarter, even though she only reads a few of them.)

LOL! Chelsea is so stupid!!!! Books are awesome for us nerds, but for the dumb blondes (I mean brunette) that has to collect them to look smarter-er.

I love books. LOVE THEM!

ValkyrieRaven88 said:
But seriously, I think that if a person owns a great amount of books, they own a great amount of thoughts and ideas and personalities and lives not their own. Whether they've read them or not, the possession of those things drives them to collect more. And besides, you can never own too many books.
No rotten tomatoes from this sector. :)
You know I have had so many people ask me that very question....and frankly I cannot imagine not needing to own books, but I believe that you have given one of the best and btw, most accurate answers. When we read, the story, book becomes a part of us. Even when we haven't read it yet. For better or worse. Mostly better though. :cool: 99.9% better. ;) There is always that stray one tenth running about.

I think I collect books, at least in this forum I don't feel bad saying that I do :rolleyes:, because for whatever reason I feel all tingly with satisfaction when I leave a bookstore with a newly purchased book in my hands (well, the bag that is :p). After spending many years when I didn't purchase many books because I was a university student and had to save my money for school-related expenses, I finally feel the freedom to go into a bookstore and purchase a new book without feeling too bad about it. Almost like I am finally able to purge my system of not buying books and the fact that I have had an incentive to buy so many new books. :eek:

I have many reasons. I'll only mention a few though...

I just love to collect things. I'm a junky for old beads and buttons off the ground. I have stamp collections, Magic the Gathering cards, and even my old Pokemon cards! Yes, I am a nerd, and darn proud of it. :p Since I mainly get my books second hand I can afford to buy 15-20 in one outing, but this doesn't add up to that much since I don't get to go out as much as I'd like. I love the feeling of satisfaction I get from a bargain. :) I also love having the books I've read around me. That way I know that I if I do forget one I can just look in my shelves for it. I love to reorganise them every one in a while and when I finish one I love the feeling I get from placing it on my shelves with all the others. :)

Kind of weird but here goes: When you read a book it expands and molds who you are. When I die I want someone to look at my huge collection of hardbacks and see me and what I was about on the inside.

Plus I find having books around me a great comfort

drmjwdvm said:
When I die I want someone to look at my huge collection of hardbacks and see me and what I was about on the inside.
So let me get this straight: you live your life now, so that people will have a certain impression of you when you die? Hmmm.

Like everybody else I love books! The smell of them, to nice feeling of holding a new book in your hand and then of course all the knowledge you get from reading them.

The other day I was looking around in my living room and thought to myself, what would a home be without books??? :eek:
To have your own private liberary is such a treat and it sure adds to the deco of the house.

Also I like the fact that my 16 year old son has started to look at my books and actually wanted to read some of them, that makes me happy! We have even started to discuss some books and its so nice to point out things he hadnt noticed in a story.

drmjwdvm said:
Kind of weird but here goes: When you read a book it expands and molds who you are. When I die I want someone to look at my huge collection of hardbacks and see me and what I was about on the inside.

Plus I find having books around me a great comfort

I can see this, one of the first things I do when in someone's house for the first time is scan the room to see what, if any books they have. It has a practical reason for me as well because I am often on the shy side and if there's books present I can start off talking about them. I often collect books that I wish to share with others, I lend a lot of mine out or give them to friends/family. I also just like having them around, knowing that at any given time I can go to my shelves and find some lovely to read.

Back