• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Why is badminton unpopular?

direstraits

Hi...

I know this is the wrong forum, but there is a mystery in my universe that I hope good people here would be able to answer.

What does the word badminton mean to you guys? Why do you think you don't like the sport? Any comments welcome.

This is about the most intellectual thread I'm ever going to create, so please help.

ds

It has to be the name, ds. The game itself is delightful. 'Pings' and 'pocks' and things floating gracefully about -- that can't be the trouble. Volleyball is filled with grunts and thuds. Tennis has all those rules. I think if we just came up with another name for "Badmitten", many things would change -- and rapidly -- for the better. If more people played Badminton this would be a kinder, gentler world. And we wouldn't get all sweaty.

Does Goodminton sound funny to you?

Hahaha! I've been laughing at your posts in the Pet Hate 101 thread, Still, and now this. You have got to try goodminton yourself. However, Nanos are not standard issue equipment in the game, so I'm not sure how much you would enjoy whacking pocks without listening to some audiobook.

Btw, I'm not exactly sure we're talking about the same goodminton here. What exactly is floating gracefully about here?

I think I like badminton more, still. It sounds more dangerous. People here always go, "Yeah, I play bed-minton. Every night."

Hilarious. To them.

ds

Stewart said:
You won't hear me say anything bad about it as I play badminton every week.
Cool. I've only been whacked by, like, 15 Englishmen when I last played in England. That's in a badminton hall with about 16 men. The ladies were of course enthralled with my ability to miss the shuttles.

Are you playing the 21-point version or the good ole 15 points?

ds

I play twice a week. I think Still's post kinda explains why it's not as popular as other sports. Badminton has this image of being delightful, with wee little ladies gently shuttling the birdie this way and that. I don't think that people realise that it can be every bit as fast paced, competitive and intense as any other sport.

My nephew used to always tease me about playing badminton, then I took him with me, literally had to drag him there and now I have to drag him off the court. It's one of those sports that you have to try in order to appreciate it.

lol Still.

Is badminton bad? It's quite popular.

I have a certificate for badminton (and hockey, and trampolining) though never play, and certainly haven't since being at school. I think I'm just too rubbish at it. I mean the idea is to get the game over as quickly as possible, isn't it? Now how is that fun?

It's quite a lazy substitute for tennis, though? I do realise that's a completely ignorant thing to say and for that I apologise.

But watching tennis whilst sat on a nice patch of grass and making daisy chains is a far better way to pass an afternoon than leaning over the spectator area's wall at the gym. Squash is fun to watch, though.

I haven't played badminton in over 22 years. We bought a set when we were first married, and played now and then. I always had a hard time seeing the birdie:rolleyes: I'd forgotten about the game til this ds created this thread. I bet the kids would like it...

direstraits said:
I've only been whacked by, like, 15 Englishmen when I last played in England.

What's that got to do with me? ;)

Are you playing the 21-point version or the good ole 15 points?

Doubles, to fifteen points.

steffee said:
I have a certificate for badminton (and hockey, and trampolining)

Do you have any photos of you trampolining?

Actually, in badminton, you run many more miles than you typically would in a tennis match. I can't remember where I got that from, but I read it, and it must be true.

No sport that I know of is trying as hard as badminton to get the world audience to take notice of them. Golf or cricket or baseball doesn't go out of it way to explain it's convoluted rules (ducks from rotten pies), but badminton has changed it's scoring rules twice in the last 5 years, and had one of its governing officials come out and say ladies should wear more fashionable clothes while playing in international tournaments to attract more fans.

I mean, come on! I can smell the desperation from my house. It's a good game that simply needs more exposure, not short-term fixes. More exposure so that people will learn to appreciate the intricacies of the game, like how NASCAR fans enjoy the intricacies of cars racing over and over in a circular/oval track.

(ducks and rolls out of the way of an incoming NASCAR)

ds

p.s. Although sexier clothes work for me.

Wow, I play this seasonally and VERY informally. My youngest and I began a short spate of games last week, but I was so out of shape I thought I had permanently wrecked my racquet arm. It's better now and I'll work up to it next time.

What I like about it is that I feel like a cat after a bird. Bat that feathery little chump!

direstraits said:
What does the word badminton mean to you guys?

Honestly, it's what happens at my house every summer during parties when everyone has had a tad too much to drink. If you are going to have a party you must set up a net, not that any of us actually know how to play or keep score.

I don't think I dislike the sport, I just don't really know how to play correctly and wouldn't have anyone to play with on an average day.

What does it mean to me? Backyard barbecues and half-slogged family members falling over one another to hit the shuttlecock.

Badminton to me means rich, brain dead chinless wonders galloping expensive horses over jumps made out of telegraph poles and lakes.

It's a three day event isn't it?

SFG75 said:
What does it mean to me? Backyard barbecues and half-slogged family members falling over one another to hit the shuttlecock.

it doesn't get any better than that:p

Jaybe:
Badminton to me means rich, brain dead chinless wonders galloping expensive horses over jumps made out of telegraph poles and lakes.

It's a three day event isn't it?

:confused: :confused:

I don't think the word "shuttlecock" helps any.

Though I actually used to play - it's the one sport I've ever tried my hand at playing formally. It's a lot more fun than tennis, IMO, both as a sport and as a backyard game... though it doesn't come close to croquet for sheer enjoyment (read: sadism).

Back