• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Why is badminton unpopular?

Interesting. Looks like badminton isn't as unknown as I previously thought. However, there may be a debate on how the game is actually played, judging from the way you guys have been describing it.

SFG75 said:
It's not all bad. The junior high kids at my school set a new badminton record lately.:D

Hahaha! I loved that!

Okay, so let me summarize what we know so far. Badminton is unpopular because:
1. It's the name. It should be goodminton, or anything as long as it isn't was weird sounding as something ending with '-minton'.
2. 'Shuttlecock' is also a little short of the mark. ([snort!] Laugh! [snort!])
3. It's the impression that is a gentle game with dainty ladies swinging racquets and laughing behind silk hand kerchieves. Sometimes they float. (Don't ask me, Still will have to clarify that one). :)
4. It's like tennis, but is over faster.
5. Not enough people who play, and therefore the interest isn't there.

Hmm... interesting.

If I were to launch a marketing blitz in a neighbourhood near you on how to popularize the sport, what should I be concentrating on? What would you like to see in the ad that I'll spend millions on making?

ds

direstraits said:
Interesting. Looks like badminton isn't as unknown as I previously thought. However, there may be a debate on how the game is actually played, judging from the way you guys have been describing it.

Hahaha! I loved that!

Okay, so let me summarize what we know so far. Badminton is unpopular because:
1. It's the name. It should be goodminton, or anything as long as it isn't was weird sounding as something ending with '-minton'.
2. 'Shuttlecock' is also a little short of the mark. ([snort!] Laugh! [snort!])
3. It's the impression that is a gentle game with dainty ladies swinging racquets and laughing behind silk hand kerchieves. Sometimes they float. (Don't ask me, Still will have to clarify that one). :)
4. It's like tennis, but is over faster.
5. Not enough people who play, and therefore the interest isn't there.

Hmm... interesting.

If I were to launch a marketing blitz in a neighbourhood near you on how to popularize the sport, what should I be concentrating on? What would you like to see in the ad that I'll spend millions on making?

ds

Emphasis "real people" playing the game, and the workout one gets from playing the game. "You think you know badminton?" "Check this out!" You could have fun with the misconceptions most people have.

Wow, I haven't thought about it since they made me play it in highschool PE, I actually liked it better than a lot of the other games we had to play.

It's one of the few sports that I am somewhat decent at playing so I shall not say anything bad about it. I didn't know that it was an unpopular game.

Jaybe,

Ah, that Badminton. You had me scared there for a minute, I was worrying about how I was going to get a horse onto the court.

ValkyrieRaven88 said:
I don't know what you mean; I love badminton.
I mean, there are plenty of people out there, especially in your neighbourhood, who do not like badminton, have never heard of it, and has no idea why it should be popular in the first place.

What I'm trying to do is understand why it is possible for such a fast moving sport to be so neglected by the general population over in the west? What is it about badminton that your neighbours don't like about it?

Maybe I should rephrase... it's not that you don't like it, it simply isn't popular. Is it because of logistics? That you don't have enough courts to make it a convenient sport to play?

ds

I can't understand why it's not popular DS, though a sports' popularity does seem to go in cycles. Being almost totally useless at sports, I found I really enjoyed badminton, perhaps it was because the shuttlecock floated down slowly enough for me to take aim. It makes a very satisfying thwack. I don't suppose advertising 'The sport for those who are useless at everything else', is going to be very popular or of much help though.:D Just to be different, I like the word 'shuttlecock'. Very onomatopoeic.

I love badmington but most of my friends don't like it. They think its a "girly" sport. I think its fun and if you ever watched some of the professional leagues, you'll be surprised of the athleticism!

Its a sport that you can play leisurely and also competitively if you want. :)

Poppy1 said:
Just to be different, I like the word 'shuttlecock'. Very onomatopoeic.
Who says you don't learn anything on a forum? :)

I looked it up, Poppy, and found that the shuttlecock you're playing with generates very weird sounds indeed. :D

ds

I used to love playing badminton, one summer my friend and I would play for literally hours every day. I haven't played it in years, though, I'd take it up again right now if I had someone to play with.

SFG75 said:
It isn't anything bad, I certainly can think of worse sports to watch, let alone participate in.
OK, no one gets to badmouth curling while I'm here. I think it's a great sport - one of very few winter sports that doesn't take strength, just intelligence, tactics and precision. In a world where everything moves faster all the time, and almost every single sport is about getting bigger and getting there quicker and scoring more goals, curling takes its time. The stones glide across the ice slooooowly and get there in their own time. It's mesmerizing.

Also, it's heavy metal. Team Sweden vs Hammerfall 80-0 (about 12 megs, but well worth it).

Didn't get the video to work, will have to try that when I'm on a more powerful computer with a kick-butt server. I'll admit, I haven't given curling a fair shot, but then again....scrubbing ice to get the thing to go farther.......nah.....just......yeah.

beer good said:
...one of very few winter sports that doesn't take strength, just intelligence, tactics and precision.
I'd like to add that badminton is also about intelligence, tactics and precision.

Sometimes when the ladies are pretty, it just gets a little distracting, that's all.

:eek:

ds

th_crylaugh.gif

direstraits said:
Sometimes when the ladies are pretty, it just gets a little distracting, that's all.

ds

direstraits said:
I'd like to add that badminton is also about intelligence, tactics and precision.

ds

Your wife is about as pretty as they get! ;)

Back