• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Why is it so bloody hard ..

Some of the funniest stuff I've ever seen was on English TV:

the original Max Headroom
Jeeves and Wooster
Rumpole
Hitchhiker's Guide
The Young Ones, mostly

It got to the point in the 80s when everything on English TV was so funny I once put on sheepherding trials (never seen before) and thought it was a comedy show. I kept waiting for the punch line.

English comedy is great. Its hard to pick out one from the many excellent shows but i really loved Red Dwarf and Blackadder. Of the more recent shows i think i prefer The Office.

The first series was great although the second series has, to this date, never been released in English. And, with the Swedish doctor dying off, it doesn't look like a third series will be made, let alone released in English.

The second series is almost as good as the first. If you are interested it has been released on dvd with english subtitles. I dont know if you can get it in the Uk but you can order it online.

http://www.laserdisken.dk/html/visvare.dna?vare=1099406860396062

Zolipara said:
English comedy is great. Its hard to pick out one from the many excellent shows but i really loved Red Dwarf and Blackadder. Of the more recent shows i think i prefer The Office.
I agree. A lot of the reason that The Office was so funny was the subtle (or not so subtle) English humor throughout. Gervais and the others were very good at not overdoing it. They made it feel like a documentary. For a crash course in "what not to do" try the American bastardized follow-up. Painful.

Zolipara mentioned the Monty Python series and Spinal Tap...great stuff...

What about:

Blazing Saddles
Young Frankenstein

I love The Office, Brit version. Also the show called Brilliant in the US. Forget the English title. Also French and Saunders and Ab Fab were pretty funny.

More US movies that make me laugh:

Love at First Bite (disco dracula)
The Producers (original version)
Caddyshack (!!!!! Ted Knight is great)

2004 novella...sorry I missed 2000...congrats and stick around for a while please...even if you are a big meanie...

loved Caddyshack. Last good thing Chevy Chase ever did...

How 'bout Animal House ?

Motokid said:
2004 novella...sorry I missed 2000...congrats and stick around for a while please...even if you are a big meanie...

loved Caddyshack. Last good thing Chevy Chase ever did...

How 'bout Animal House ?

Thanks, Motomouth. :D

I only like the less obvious bits of Animal House, like when the guy ride his motorcycle up the stairs and plays a tune on his Adam's apple. And the way Belushi moves. I totally hate the romantic subplots. :rolleyes:

For pure cornball humor, I think I Dream of Jeannie is a giggle. I love squirmy little Major Healy.

Favorite all-time comedy from England might be Reginald Perrin. Anyone remember that?

For something recent...how about Napoleon Dynamite? I really really hated that movie, but everyone else I know thought it was really funny.

I've got to agree with you though Martin, I have a lot of trouble finding genuinely good comedies.

Er... Shrek 2? ;)

Also Monty Python films, especially Life of Brian.

TV comedy: Blackadder, The Young Ones, Bottom, Brass, Porridge, Spaced, Phoenix Nights... There aren't any good new comedies on TV at the moment. :(

bobbyburns said:
stop whining and watch arrested development. it's pretty hilarious.
I do love arrested development. I hope it comes out on dvd, as I never get to see it these days.

I really, really like Pixar movies. Like The Incredibles and Finding Nemo. They give me the giggles every time :)

i think that for enjoy most comedies, you must be on the mood for it, even if we are talking slapstick comedies.

but ill add a couple to the list, the french dinner de cons (the dinner game in english i think) and the spanish dia de la bestia (day of the beast)

Zolipara said:
How about:
Pretty much any Monty Python movie
Dr. Strangelove
The Big Lebowski (Pretty much any Coen movie really)
This is Spinal Tap.
Night on Earth.
Down by Law.
Delicatessen.
Henry Fool.
Bad Boy bubby.
Braindead.
Bad Taste.
La vita e Bella
Amelie.
Wag the dog.
State and Main.

Just to mention a few.

Too many comedies repeat the old "college movie" jokes that were worn out in the 80's. Too many comedies have crap actors and crap dialogue and really only tries to be funny by placing the lead actor in a embarrasing situation, preferably with his pants down.

i saw, and truly enjoyed almost all of those....!! :D

Back