• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Why you read books ?

arnuld

This post came out of the questions running on my mind from a longer time. I read both Sci-Fi and Non-Fiction and I do that to learn some skills about understading how ecomic structures work on aglobal level and to analyse the way people live lives and auoritative decisions that lay out the fiundations of good and bad governments.

Why you read book ?

I started a thread in Book Search and Suggestions section about the list of top 10 books you love but I got strange replies like "I read book sto escape the ordinary world and relax" :( . That led me to the basic question why people read books. I read them to get skilled . why YOU read books ?

Knowledge

I tend to read books to enhance my knowledge in various subjects. Although I do enjoy reading biographies. Probably because I prefer real life stuff to fiction, I guess.

Cheers

Steve

It's a good question, but I definitely disagree with the idea of reading fiction - especially science fiction - to learn facts. That's what non-fiction is for; fiction, by definition, is made up and may be completely unrealistic.

As for the purpose of reading fiction... it's hard to give one answer. Part of it is definitely escapism, and I don't see what's so strange about that; books enable you to travel through times, worlds and lives you could never experience yourself and allow you to lose yourself in that for a few hours. However, I also think there's other benefits to fiction.

You can learn stuff from fiction - to paraphrase Jeanette Winterson, not facts but truths. While reading a novel set in a certain time and place will not necessarily get you the same (hopefully) reliable facts that a non-fiction book on the same time and place will get you, it will get you one perspective on how people understand the world, how they deal with it. In other words, you learn not about the subject the writer writes about but about how the writer him/herself views the subject. It's an exercise in seeing different perspectives. To trot out one of my favourite quotes on writing fiction, from Ian McEwan's Atonement:
She could write the scene three times over, from three points of view; her excitement was in the prospect of freedom, of being delivered from the cumbrous struggle between good and bad, heroes and villains. None of these three was bad, nor were they particularly good. She need not judge. There did not have to be a moral. She need only show separate minds, as alive as her own, struggling with the idea that other minds were equally alive. It wasn’t only wickedness and scheming that made people unhappy, it was confusion and misunderstanding; above all, it was the failure to grasp the simple truth that other people are as real as you. And only in a story could you enter these different minds and show how they had an equal value. That was the only moral a story need have.

The non-fiction writer is restricted by facts; the fiction writer is free to make shit up and ask "wouldn't it be cool if..." Non-fiction gets an answer to the questions what, how, when, why; fiction helps you ask those questions. Non-fiction tells us what the world is or has been like; fiction helps us make sense of that world - poetic lie-sense, if you will. Non-fiction is either true or false; fiction is neither true nor false. Non-fiction tells us something about others; fiction tells us something about ourselves.

I ramble. One more quote, this from the astronomer (and SF writer) Peter Nilson:
In the library of the observatory in Ondrejov above Prague I once found a catalogue of stars that astounded me. It had hundreds of pages with tables of stars that had been observed and confirmed to exist. Towards the end there was a table of stars thought to have been observed but confirmed to NOT exist. But to my astonishment, at the back of the volume I found a list of stars which had never been observed and did not exist. Perhaps the most amazing thing about the universe is that we could create an infinite catalogue of things, worlds and beings that no one has seen and which do not exist. Each story in the realm of fiction is a small part of that catalogue.

It was first forced upon me.
I had to learn to read.
Then I started reading for enjoyment only.

Read for study purposes only.
Then discovered new ideas and things I never thought of.
Started to read non-fictions to learn about.

Nowdays I read non-fictions and fictions to find information, conjure up new ideas and share discoveries. To conclude, I read fictions and non-fictions to find deeper understanding of humanity and society we live in.

Because I enjoy a good yarn. For non-fiction, I read because I'm curious about a particular topic.

Reading doesn't warp my mind as much as TV. Unless I read movie novelizations. Those leave my mind in a state of abject goop.

I tend to read books to enhance my knowledge in various subjects. Although I do enjoy reading biographies. Probably because I prefer real life stuff to fiction, I guess.

Cheers

Steve
I meant that I prefer real life stuff not that I don't like fiction. I just read more non fiction than fiction. I agree totally about the amount of enjoyment that can be gained from a book written through someones imagination. Being honest, I'm now working on a fiction novel myslef and I have really enjoyed putting this story together. However, I've found that you just can't help putting a lot of my own experiences into it.

Its like the saying goes I suppose: Everybody has a good book in them.

Cheers

Steve

I didn't read a whole lot when I was in elementary school. But one day, at age nine, I picked up Mario Puzo's The Godfather. This is not an appropriate book for an elementary school kid, btw. As soon as I started to read it, I was totally immersed in the world Puzo created and was stimulated (in more ways than one). When I finished, I read it again. I thought I had just read the most eye-opening and enlightening book...EVER. Of course, I was only nine and I didn't know a whole lot of the way the world worked but this book gave me a crash course into the world that I never knew existed. The lessons learned from this book stayed with me for years and years. (of course, it helped that it contained a lot of sex scenes...LOL!)

That's why I read. I want to recapture that feeling -- being immersed in another world and learning a lifetime's worth of lessons in 300-400 pages. And having no control as the ideas from these books swim around in my head for years and years thereafter. Frankly, that feeling hasn't come around often, but when it did, it's worth the trouble of reading hundreds and hundreds of mediocre books.

I read for enjoyment and information, and sometimes the two meet.

That led me to the basic question why people read books. I read them to get skilled . why YOU read books ?

If you only read to learn, don't read fiction. Unless you want to improve your writing and vocabulary. No wonder you hated The Difference Engine!

If you only read to learn, don't read fiction. Unless you want to improve your writing and vocabulary. No wonder you hated The Difference Engine!

I don't know about that Spark,i learnd a lot in fiction,and still do.It is like being told the experiences of others,a different way of thinking,it is less factual but it still is enlightning.

I love reading a good story that takes me away with it, but that's not why I read. I read to sharpen my mind and explore new (and sometimes old) ideas. I feel I learn a lot from fiction especially - learning to see the world from a new point of view is so rewarding.

I read for entertainment, to widen my scope, to appreciate other points of view, to keep my brain ticking, to make conversations more interesting... the list is long but, in short, I LOVE IT!

If you only read to learn, don't read fiction. Unless you want to improve your writing and vocabulary.

Like Gilgamesh I read to understand the humanity and the society, for I select a subject to read only when the problems touch many people's lives (take corruption in India as an example) and then I scan the problems and start to search for the books that discuss those problems and the books that reason about the why rather than the how of those problems. Sci-Fi movies like CYPHER gave me clear picture of problems and Sci-Fi novels like The Man Who Sold the Moon gave me the why of some problems.

No wonder you hated The Difference Engine!

and I take pride in that :D

When I read, I walk through the jungle without fear of mosquitoes, travel to the moon (or further) and meet monsters face to face which would scare me witless if I met them in person.

Escapism, in other words. Nothing like fiction to get away from it all.

Back