• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Will monkeys really type Shakespeare if given enough time?

sparkchaser

Administrator and Stuntman
Staff member
We've all heard the infinite monkey theorem where "a monkey hitting keys at random on a typewriter keyboard for an infinite amount of time will almost surely type a given text, such as the complete works of William Shakespeare".

But is it true?

The study: A single computer was placed in a monkey enclosure at Paignton Zoo to monitor the literary output of six primates.

Who and when: Students at University of Plymouth, 2003, paid for from a £2,000 Arts Council grant

The aim: To test the "infinite monkey theory", which states that if a monkey hits keys at random on a typewriter keyboard for an infinite amount of time, it will almost surely type a given text, such as the complete works of William Shakespeare.

What was learnt: The theory is flawed. After one month - admittedly not an "infinite" amount of time - the monkeys had partially destroyed the machine, used it as a lavatory, and mostly typed the letter "s".

:lol:

Awesome.

It's official animal research is ridiculous!They probably just saw what they were supposed to type and went in a rampage.

What was learnt: The theory is flawed. After one month - admittedly not an "infinite" amount of time - the monkeys had partially destroyed the machine, used it as a lavatory, and mostly typed the letter "s".
I believe what they were attempting to type was "SOS". I would, if I was in their situation. :D

The theory needs to be rewritten; that's how the scientific method works.

My suggestion: "a monkey hitting keys at random on an indestructible typewriter keyboard for an infinite amount of time will almost surely type a given text, such as the complete works of William Shakespeare"

My suggestion: "a monkey hitting keys at random on an indestructible typewriter keyboard for an infinite amount of time will almost surely type a given text, such as the complete works of William Shakespeare"

And don't forget waterproof as they used it as a lavatory...

And don't forget waterproof as they used it as a lavatory...

In that case, it seems more like a monkey hitting keys at random on an indestructible typewriter keyboard for an infinite amount of time will almost surely type a given text, such as the complete works of Dan Brown.

In that case, it seems more like a monkey hitting keys at random on an indestructible typewriter keyboard for an infinite amount of time will almost surely type a given text, such as the complete works of Dan Brown.

:lol:

Someone actually gave them a grant to do this? If they have so much money to burn, I'll gladly take some off their hands!

Stupid study perhaps, but solid theory I think.
I'm with joderu.

Anyone for butterflies in Burma causing snowstorms in NY?
Same ilk.

Both unimaginable.

Ahh, but why wouldn't you just end up with an infinite amount of gibberish?

Back