• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Worst or most disappointing book?

The DaVinci Code. Oh, I read it through. But as it degenerated from the merely improbable to the farciful, I started expecting Abbot and Costello to pop up at any moment. Or at the very least, Gene Wilder.

Dune by Frank Herbert.

I did enjoy it and I thought that it was well-written and such, but I was quite disappointed with the book after all the hype I had been hearing about it. I really don't think that it deserves the high acclaim in which it is held and , for me, it did certainly not live up to it. :rolleyes:

But that's just my opinion.

Oh, and I second the choice of works by Terry Prachett. I just /cannot/ finish his books.

I've got Dune very near the top of my TBR pile. Not sure whether to read it or Pillars of the Earth by Follett first. Think I may go with Follett.

ions said:
I've got Dune very near the top of my TBR pile. Not sure whether to read it or Pillars of the Earth by Follett first. Think I may go with Follett.
Don't get me wrong, I do think that Dune was a good read, just not deserving of the hype. I was pretty disappointed after reading all the glowing reviews, but for someone who didn't know much about the book, the book would be much more enjoyable.

Pillars of the Earth is near the top of my TBR list also... I better get started soon if I want to finish before the monthly discussion...

Stewart said:
I've tried to read this twice, got about forty pages in, and decided it was boring. One day I'll find out what the "big secret" is.
I wouldn't bother. The big secret is just common place. I would like to know why his books are sold in the fiction section; they should be under self-help or as an overlong agony aunt column.

MonkeyCatcher said:
Don't get me wrong, I do think that Dune was a good read, just not deserving of the hype. I was pretty disappointed after reading all the glowing reviews, but for someone who didn't know much about the book, the book would be much more enjoyable.

That's how I felt about Stranger in a Strange Land. I mean, it was OK, but nothing to base a religion on, as some people seemed to want to try to do.

Come to that, I'm coming to believe Heinlein was over-rated as a writer. He had a few clever ideas, at least one per novel, and he was smart enough to smooth out all the wrinkes, but his dialog was awful, his characterizations, especially of women, were poor even by the standards of the genre, and his books completely lack any kind of psychological insight or believable emotional expression.

I need to read some A. E. Van Vogt. See how his stuff holds up.

I'm sure I'll get bashed for this (if not flayed), but, acutually, the author who is touted as the GREATEST WRITER OF ALL TIME (a.k.a. William Shakespeare) is pretty tough for me to get interested in. I'd rather curl up with a Laymon novel or even Stephen King any day of the week than try to read anything by the Bard.
There, I said it.

bluedahlia said:
I've tried to read it many times and finally gave up trying to "On the road" by Jack Kerouac.

Totally agree. No matter which stage of my life I have tried to read it, I have not been able to get into it at all. I don't know, maybe I'm not 'cool' enough.

hmmm, on the road was on my TBR list, maybe I won't bother anytime soon. For me...yeah it's Catcher in the Rye. Just can't get into it.

*edited because I"m stoned on Cold medicine and can't type or spell.

Sorry I haven't read the whole thread (no time right now!) but I thought P.S I Love You by Celia Ahern was the most dissapointing pile of pap I have read recently. I couldn't wait to get the book as it was plugged a lot here (England) but didn't like it. I felt it was just not exciting enough. it took me ages to read as I just couldn't get into it and was relieved when it was over!

I promise to come back and read this thread when I am less frazzled. :)

Sword Of Shannara- Was a New York Times best seller. Dont understand why. Basically a rip off of Lord Of The Rings. The second and third books are just boring and predictable

Sword Of Truth by Terry Goodkind- Once again boring and unoriginal. Also a bestseller for reasons unknown. Childish writting style as well.

Harry Potter by JK Rowling- Not sure why people like this book. There are hundreds of fantasy books better than Harry Potter.

to kill a mockingbird just b/c soooo many ppl made sooo much hype about it, especally my english teacher. they literally loved it. i guess i ended up liking it less than i would've if i didn't just spend months listening to how great it was going to be..

cheese777 said:
Harry Potter by JK Rowling- Not sure why people like this book. There are hundreds of fantasy books better than Harry Potter.
Which did you read? The first one is by far the worst, IMHO.

WoundedThorns said:
i guess i ended up liking it less than i would've if i didn't just spend months listening to how great it was going to be..
I think that this is the worst kind of influence on the overall enjoyment of a book - many books that I have read have been good books, but they didn't meet my expectations of them and were therefore very dissapointing. I try now to go into a book forgetting the hype and such, because I hate the feeling of a good book being ruined by my heightend expectations.

=Stewart](Just tossed The Rule of Four)/QUOTE]
So did I!

'Sophomoric' was my verdict. I went to high school with these guys, and I had way more than enough of them back then.

I enjoyed The Instance of the Fingerpost, but I read that one quite a while ago, so I can't give my reasons why ...

Where to begin

After repeated attempts by friends to shove the book into my hands I finally broke down and read I Know This Much is True by Wally Lamb. It reminded me of a poorly written after school special. The writing is so trite and precious at times that I laughed out loud.

LOTR - Received them as a gift years ago. I have tried reading them a few times. I have never gotten further than fifty or so pages and would rather hammer spikes into my own feet than read more.

Angela's Ashes - Covers the same ground as my family reunions but in a much less interesting fashion. Boring.

Catcher in the rye - JD Salinger

I could understand why people enjoyed the book but to be honest i found it dull and it annoyed me after 80 pages.

On the road - Jack Kerouac

Again i could see why people enjoyed it but i didn't enjoy it in the slighest maybe its a case of you having to be 16 when reading it. I tend to dislike most of 'the beats' that i've read i think i'm adverse to their style (exception being charles bukowski)

Back