• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Worst or most disappointing book?

novella said:
I think Lord of the Rings is a guy thing. Sure, some girls/women like it okay, but don't go crazy over it like guys do.

Anyone else see that phenomenon?

Not really, I love LOTR and i'm female - though I agree with Litany re: Terry Pratchett - I really don't enjoy his books and don't see what poeple's obsession with him is but thats just my opinion.

:)

For me it was Wuthering Heights. I was so looking forward to reading it, everyone told me it was so great and yada yada yada...I appreciate the book for what it was meant to say about class and society at the time it was written; however, that didn't help me to enjoy it. I was frustrated and angry with Catherine and Heathcliff for their behaviour and choices. And frustrated and angry with myself because I couldn't enjoy the book. At least it got a reaction out of me, I guess.

Jenem said:
For me it was Wuthering Heights. I was so looking forward to reading it, everyone told me it was so great and yada yada yada...

I'll agree with that. Big pile of steaming dog poo it was.

I don't think LOTR is a guy thing, in fact I always thought it was a girl thing- so much for that idea. I didn't like the book really, good use of the English language, but that's about it. My ex would witter on about LOTR and the whole middle-Earth thing ( I call it Flat Earth!)- stuck in some romantic haze, and she would get upset when I would point out that people didn't bath and it wasn't a nice place for women to live in reality :p

Right- I didn't like Dune by Frank Herbert, this is the second time i'm trying to read it, and I'm finidng it hard work! A good book shouldn't be that way should it? So that's two "legendary" books I've found hard work.

"On The Road" by Jack Keurac, I found OK, with some interesting parts, but a bit directionless- perhaps that's the nature of the roadie book genre though. I'm glad I read it....

Re Kerouac's On the Road, as a (maybe the first) stream-of-consciousness drug-addled crossing-America work, I think you really have to place it in it's time. By today's standards, it might seem directionless and so-what, but in the 50s it broke a lot of rules and rewrote the American experience for a lot of people.

I love that book, not because it is so well written (on the contrary), but because it is profoundly antithetical to a lot of other social and cultural developments that were happening in America at the time.

Novella

Well put, Novella.
But, you also can't discount the degree to which Road was autobiographical. Kerouac, himself, was pretty directionless at that point, which is one of the major themes of the novel.

I finished this book called The Mummy, its a point Horror book but I can tell its rushed at the end. I found it quite disapointing because I can see its rushed...

Anything written by $%& #@$%&! Litany please translate for the people.

First word, three letters...sounds like Can, like shit can, where this authors belongs.

Second word, five letters...is the color of poo, which his writing represents!

Good luck :D

Litany said:
Anything I've tried by Terry Pratchett ... on a personal level I did have a minor dealing with him and he was incredibly rude and in need of a good, solid thump.

Ooh, please elaborate, I'm interested in what happened! :)

Halo said:
Ooh, please elaborate, I'm interested in what happened! :)
It genuinely was only a very minor dealing, so I'd rather remain mysterious. Suffice it to say there was a cow involved.

Litany said:
It genuinely was only a very minor dealing, so I'd rather remain mysterious. Suffice it to say there was a cow involved.

But now I'm even more intrigued. :mad:

novella said:
I think Lord of the Rings is a guy thing. Sure, some girls/women like it okay, but don't go crazy over it like guys do.

Anyone else see that phenomenon?

nope, not at all. I'm a girl/woman and i LOVE the lord of the rings and am an ardent admirer of J.R.R. Tolkien. i don't know why something like LOTR should be labeled as "a guy thing" considering its immense depth and emotion. that is not to say that guys cannot be deep or emotional...well, not entirely to say that. personally, i have met only one guy who seems to be a true Ringer.

warm_enema said:
Everything by F. Scott Fitzgerald.

Ooh! Beware of blanket statements, Mr. Enema!

Was Mr. Fitzgerald The Great American Novelist? No. But "The Beautiful and Damned" is not without merit. And even "The Great Gatsby" had some lovely descriptive language in it.

Irene Wilde

For grossly over-rated, I'd have to go with anything by Erica Jong. Great voice of feminism? Not hardly.

Honestly, I have no place in my heart for The Color Purple by Alice Walker. I don't know why I didn't like it, but I had the roughest time getting through that book. Also, Death Comes for the Archbishop. That is the only book I have ever fallen asleep reading.

White Teeth by Zadie Smith. In fact i didnt just find it disappointing, i stopped half way through and ripped it to shreds one night at work.

My most over rated book

It would have to be The DiVinci Code. I had that one figured out after the first few chapters. I finished it, but it was a little over rated.

Back