• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Worst or most disappointing book?

Hey, I'm working on it, sometimes I post a whole sentence or two and while that may not be all that impressive, consider that when I started here I basically just got out a grunt in the affirmative or the negative. :p :D

well, it goes without saying!

the davinci code of course!

and where is stewart? i thought he would have jumped on that right away! another chance to slam dan brown!

I'm used to getting "one-liner" answers, even when I do include a "why" in my question. And, in that case, I usually reiterate the why.

So, I guess that leads me to ask lady cordelia:

Why didn't you like DaVinci Code when so many other folks did?

well, just because a lot of people like it doesn't make it good. i have found that many books that make the bestsellers list are often not all that great - they just appeal to a mass populace. they are often not as well written with rich characters and environments, as well as eloquent prose. they are written to be quickly and easily read with a quick understanding of the plot and story, which is similar with da vinci code. it isn't great writing and isn't even enjoyable to read, at least for me. it is quite sad that such a famous author has only one outline and plot for all of his stories.

I picked up the first Dark Materials book, because I'd read/heard so many people raving about it, but couldn't actually get past the first chapter - I thought I'd it was dreadful and I've read some wierd books in my time :)

However, a year later, after my sister had sung it's praises to me over and over I gave it (and ultimatley the whole series) another try and persevered with it. I got into the series eventually and thought it quite good, though I found it all very linear.

I read the Da Vinci code cos of all the hype too, and thought it good for what it is. It's not a litery masterpiece, but still quite enjoyable. I guess the main reason I liked was because it questions the things that the church would have us all blindly believing (but thats a whole other debate ;) )

A Farwell to Arms by Ernest Hemmingway. If you want to know my opinion on it, feel free to look up any one of my long rants on how much I hated it, which are floating around the site somewhere. I really don't think it's worth using up more space.

I got into the series eventually and thought it quite good, though I found it all very linear.

Well it is a book aimed at younger readers. :)

The book I didnt "get" was Catcher in the Rye. It was frustrating and didn't go anywhere and I really didn't sympathise with the character at all.

I picked up the first Dark Materials book, because I'd read/heard so many people raving about it, but couldn't actually get past the first chapter - I thought I'd it was dreadful and I've read some wierd books in my time

I also found this book to be very peculiar.

Some books are universally beloved, and deservingly so. But have you every read a book based on tons of glowing recommendations and ended up hating it?

Hmmm...well, to turn the question on its head (sort of), I rarely read anything simply because it is highly recommended. In fact I'd probably avoid some books simply because everyone else was recommending them! I don't often recommend books to anyone else either. I know what I like and I keep finding new books that I, but my taste is not necessarily the same as anyone else's.

But to answer the original question, no, I haven't. I have started books for other reasons and found that I didn't like them, but I just stop reading them if that happens. Too many other books out there for me to find without wasting time reading stuff that I don't enjoy!

I said I didn't like Wuthering Heights, and I accept that disliking a novel that is considered a classic is probably an odd thing. I wasn't made to study the content in depth, so cannot blame school, I simply didn't enjoy reading it. I found the story difficult to get into and never got beyond page 34 on numerous attempts before making it to the end. I found the characters unappealing - especially Heathcliff who is certainly no where near my idea of a romantic lead - and the whole thing is dull and dreary as a wet afternoon.

...I found the characters unappealing - especially Heathcliff who is certainly no where near my idea of a romantic lead...

Perhaps that is part of the reason you cannot seem to get beyond page 34. Heathcliff is not supposed to be a romantic hero. If you approach 'Wuthering Heights' expecting it to be a romantic novel. you will be disappointed. It is a study of obsession, jealousy, revenge, everything that is dark and unpleasant about human nature. I think a lot of people have problems with this book because of preconceptions based on (a) the various filmed versions and (b) the likes of Cliff Richard - 'Wuthering Heights, the musical' - please, what is that all about?

It is a study of obsession, jealousy, revenge, everything that is dark and unpleasant about human nature.

I wasn't expecting a fluffy romance, but all consuming passion and obsession. Not a man who should be locked up for the safety of all.

As for Cliff, who knows??!

Heathcliff belongs more to the Gothic villain tradition; his conception of love is rather demented. He wants to possess Catherine. He's callous, he acts without a consciousness to reach his goals. How can anyone not like such a character :D

But to answer the original question, no, I haven't. I have started books for other reasons and found that I didn't like them, but I just stop reading them if that happens. Too many other books out there for me to find without wasting time reading stuff that I don't enjoy!

Where do you get your books, the library? That's the only way I can feel okay about abandoning a book. Otherwise I feel like I need to get my money's worth.

Back