• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Worst or most disappointing book?

Where do you get your books, the library? That's the only way I can feel okay about abandoning a book. Otherwise I feel like I need to get my money's worth.

I buy more books than I borrow from the library. Mostly from secondhand book shops, or charity shops. I pick books that I am reasonably confident that I will enjoy, so I don't end up with that many 'rejects', and if I've only paid a £ or so for a book and I don't like it, it can go back to the charity shop. Sometimes I'll start a book that my wife has read and abandon it if it doesn't appeal to me. But overall I read most of what I buy/borrow - if I don't know what I like at my age, I never will!

Was really disappointed in iWoz; thought it would have been much better than it ended up being. Glad that I didn't purchase the book.

Did anyone else mention Wally Lamb's She's Come Undone? I read that book in a weekend. It wasn't at all what I expected and I consider it a weekend wasted on a depressing story.

1984. That's all that needs to be said.

Nooooooooooooooooo....one of my favourite novels! If 'favourite' is the right word - it's scary and unsettling, no doubt about it, but then it's supposed to be. I must have read it half a dozen times and it never fails to impress.

da vinci code

The Da Vinci Code - Dan Brown

Though it was widely popular, I didn't really like the book. It disappointed me, too superficial somehow. (no offense to anyone who did like it of course)

Nooooooooooooooooo....one of my favourite novels! If 'favourite' is the right word - it's scary and unsettling, no doubt about it, but then it's supposed to be. I must have read it half a dozen times and it never fails to impress.

I liked 1984 also. My most recent disappointing book was The Ruins by Scott Smith. I kept waiting for a twist that never came.

It has to be The world according to Garp. A good friend recommended it when I was in high school. It was such a bore!!

The most dissappointing book I ever read was "Dreamcatcher" by Stephen King. I am an avid fan of his and have all of his books. I gotta say, I don't know how that got published......only because his name was on the manuscript! The movie was just as bad! Look Out!

I read the trilogy of 'shock' writer William Christopher baer - distinctly average if that, Penny Dreadful was the best

however on his website fans were saying how the last in the trilogy was the best - hells half acre.

The plot was shoddy and the writing, poor

To add cheek, members of the forum kept stating he was better than most writers because he did not write as if he was in hollywood.

'Jude jumped on the motorbike and sped off into the sunset'
[something happened] and someones head fell off

To be fair, it was dreadful :eek:

Last disappointing novel I read was Günter Grass' The Tin Drum. To begin with he is not a favourite of mine: up to The Tin Drum I hadn't read anything that had made me see Grass as a literary genius; he writes efficient, but hardly breath-taking sentences; his characters' personalities are bigger than life because they're built on historical events that you're supposed to think are important (Grass is very good at making his novels sound solemn). Good books, usually, if somewhat dull at times. I expected The Tin Drum, his opera prima, would change that: it's one of the greatest novels of the 20th century, after all. And it's also dull as hell!

Oskar Matzerath is an impossibly unlikeable character who successfully brings misery to everyone around him in most unexpected ways, sometimes by accident, usually deliberately. That's probably why I preferred the first hundred pages of the novel, in which he has not been born yet. The novel starts wonderfully with an episode in magical realism to rival anything Gabriel García Márquez has ever written. But it quickly loses steam.

I don't know, maybe Grass is too subtle for me: I read somewhere this novel was a scathing satire of Nazi Germany, but I didn't see any satire and hardly any Nazis at all, except the petty officers Oskar's dad plays cards with. OK, I exaggerate things to fit my own perception: there were in fact some Nazi references every 50 pages (in a 500+ page novel that's a good average, I think). Like the satire, the quality of the novel must be too subtle for me. All I got from it was a narrative of bawdy episodes and a lot of dissertations on music.

Grass still has a couple of books I want to read, but my confidence in this author is badly shaken.

I've tried to read many Pratchett's, but I just don't get them, or something. They are pointless, with little story, awful humour, and I'll never, as long as I live, understand what the fuss is all about with him.

I actually read The Science of Discworld (Pratchett, Stewart & Cohen) all the way through, but after one of the 'fantasy' chapters, I ended up skipping them, and just reading the science stuff. I thought that was bearable, but even with that, I've read better - Bryson's A Short History of Nearly Everything, for example. And I've tried a few more.

The Five People You Meet In Heaven by Mitch Albom was a disappointment. I thought it was overly simple, and the style just didn't appeal to me. Atwood's The Penelopiad was a disappointment too. I love Atwood, and am interested in mythic gods and all that stuff, so I don't know why... perhaps, that too, was overly simple.

But I actually thought Paulo Coelho's The Alchemist was okay. It was simple too, but I wasn't expecting much, and it didn't take long to read.

I have been disappointed in everything I've read by McEwen. I've read Saturday, Amsterdam, Atonement and On Chesil Beach, and have found them all to be tedious. I can't quite put my finger on why, but they have all made me switch off, and have taken considerable effort to get through. Practically everyone I know has enjoyed them, though, and many with almost identical tastes in books to me, so I have continued to give them a go. I might give it up now.

David Mitchell's Cloud Atlas I thought was too much. He could have used any one of those methods and I might have been happy, but together it was just crazy.

The Boy On The Bus-Deborah Schupack (waste of time)
American Psycho-Brett Easton Ellis (couldn't even finish it)
The Memory Keepers Daughter-Kim Edwards (zzzzz)
Atonement-Ian McEwan (yes, I realize I'm the ONLY one who didn't like it, sue me)

Kite Flyer and Our Only May Amelia - I read this a looong time ago but it took me forever to read cause it was soooooooooooooo boring:(!!!

Atonement-Ian McEwan (yes, I realize I'm the ONLY one who didn't like it, sue me)

You are not the only one, after I saw the movie , I am glad I did'nt buy the book.

The Princes of Ireland....still haven't finished it. Got into it but then they lost me.

You are not the only one, after I saw the movie , I am glad I did'nt buy the book.

The Princes of Ireland....still haven't finished it. Got into it but then they lost me.

I ordered the book before seeing the movie and I still haven't got around to reading it but after seeing the movie a couple of weeks ago I don't know now if I will bother with the book either.

Back