• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Worthy re-reads....

karalk

I have NEVER read a book twice although I am accumulating books I love for my old age, when I will forget I ever read them, LOL!
I just read a post from 2004, (yes, I'm catching up!) where someone said they read a particular book TWICE in one day! I just feel that there are so many books, so little time, that re-reading is out of the question!
However, I thought a list of these worthy re-reads would be good fodder for my TBR shelf, so fire away! What do you consider a worthy re-read?

I
have NEVER read a book twice although I am accumulating books I love for my old age, when I will forget I ever read them, LOL!

Our re-reading thread would be great for you, you aren't alone in not having re-read something, I assure you.

I just read a post from 2004, (yes, I'm catching up!) where someone said they read a particular book TWICE in one day! I just feel that there are so many books, so little time, that re-reading is out of the question!

re-reading the same book twice in one day?, what, it's 100 pages long or something?, perhaps 65? Not something I would do.

However, I thought a list of these worthy re-reads would be good fodder for my TBR shelf, so fire away! What do you consider a worthy re-read?

The Grapes of Wrath if you like politics and history. I also highly recommend anything by Nabokov, just love his writing. Can't quite explain it really, it's formal, yet somehow obtuse. :cool:

I re-read on occassion, and have been known to re-read passages of a book I just finished, just to make clarify details. I even will re-read only favorite parts of favorite books.

Lately I've been re-reading certain passages and scenes from books I've really enjoyed. I used to reread books quite a bit, but now I'm trying to find new books that captivate me as much as the ones I used to read often.

I don't know for sure, but I think it might have been me that read the same book twice in one day. I did that with Life of Pi, but other than that, lately I really don't re read at all. The only exception being Barbara Kingsolver's Prodigal Summer which I do read about one-two times a year.

Some books that I have re-read a few times are Raymond Chandler's The Big Sleep and F. Scott Fitzgerald's The Great Gatsby and The Last Tycoon. They all have writing style and characters that I love to re-visit.

There are some other books that I keep intending to re-read, but I always find something new to read instead. Jim Dodge's Stone Junction, Jeffrey Eugenides' The Virgin Suicides and Richard Rayner's The Devil's Wind are a few of them.

I do reread books on occasion - I have those books that are like comfort food...especially Anne McCaffrey's Dragonrider series (especially the older books)...I usually reread one or two per year in the autumn. I've reread others, but like you, I'm saving most of those I want to reread for old age, when I've forgotten the details.

I think the only books I have read more than once are the Harry Potter ones.

I think it was back when the fifth one came out and it had been so long since I read the fourth that I went back and read 1-4. The same thing went for 6 and 7. I re-read all the previous ones before reading the new ones. THOSE I could read over and over, but I can't really image doing that with any other book....

There are certain old friends I like to revisit every few years. Authors like Mark Twain, Tolkein, Douglas Adams. Maybe not a terribly distinguished "highbrow" list, but like someone else said, "comfort food." In addition to being good stories they take me back to the same time and place as the first time I read them.

I think many of the time-honored classics you may have read as a teen deserve a reread as an adult. Looking back from the crusty old age of 29 ;) I know I appreciate them more now than I did then.

I think many of the time-honored classics you may have read as a teen deserve a reread as an adult. Looking back from the crusty old age of 29 ;) I know I appreciate them more now than I did then.

Totally. I can't believe how much of The Outsider and The Great Gatsby I missed when I read them in grade 11. I should read Sons and Lovers and Great Expectations soon.

I have re-read every Poe story, every Shakespeare piece (at least once), The Iliad and The Odyssey by Homer. Other than those, I remember entirely too much to re-read many others. The only time I will re-read something is if it was something that was required reading in school and it has faded in my memory. To date, that has only been one book at that was Le Morte D'Arthur by Sir Thomas Mallory.

I have entirely too many books in my "to be read" pile to reread anything other than Poe, Shakespeare and Homer. I am almost always in the middle of one or the other of those even while reading others. They're fodder for my mind and comfort for my soul.

I find most of Italo Calvino worth re-reading; his language (even in translation) inspires different interpretations with every read. This is especially true for "On a Winter's Night a Traveler" and "Invisible Cities." Apart from Calvino, I've read Slaughterhouse-Five about a dozen times. Not much else on my shelves gets re-read (which led me to the serendipitous discovery of the library).

Re-reading, though a good idea, takes oodles of time. On my second go with any book I have to fight the feeling of "shouldn't I be reading something new and expanding my horizons?"

Re-read

Hi,
Of all the 1000's & 1000's of books i have, i still go back probably once a year and re-read all of my favourite books.

I love HORROR, so that's mainly what this collection is:
Endless Night - by Richard Laymon
Quake - by R.Laymon
Island - by R.Laymon
Dark-Hunter & Were-Hunter Series by S.Kenyon
Werewolf/Vampire Series by K.Arthur
Broken - by Kelley Armstrong
Dark Celebration - by Christine Feehan

Richard Laymon is probably my favourite author. Endless Night is definately my favourite, favourite book of all time.
I could just read these books over and over again. I dont know what it is about these books, but i just love to read them.

Regards
CARY:D

Woooo.......you 'non-rereaders' are weird :D. Do you buy a CD and only listen to it once? Would you buy a picture and only look at it once? I love to reread my favourite books. Currently reading 'Wuthering Heights' for the third time, and believe me, it gets more enjoyable each time!

A few other favourites of mine (in no particular order) -

Silas Marner
One day in the life of Ivan Denisovich
The Coldest March (non-fiction)

I'm also a big re-reader because I usually find something new every time I read a book. I've found this is especially true with Jane Austen because it seems like there is so much packed in there - on the second read through you can feel like you're chuckling with Austen and that you're in on the inside joke. I really want to read Heart of Darkness again because I remember it was also totally packed with meaning and depth.

Other books I've re-read include the Chronicles of Narnia, Jordan's Wheel of Time series, Eragon (I know, but I like it), and The Scarlet Pimpernel. More recently I've been interested in finding new things, so I've been gleaning recommendations from this and other forums to add to my To Be Read list, so I haven't gone back to my favorites for a while.

Back