• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

would you rather...

Miss Shelf

write a marginal literary phenomena such as "Harry Potter" and be a gazillionaire, or write a timeless classic that will be taught in high school and college classes like Shakespeare?

You never ask easy questions, do you? :) That is one that I will have to think on for a bit if I am to be honest with my reply.

Well, both choices sound pretty good to me—the Harry Potter series might be literarily "marginal" but it isn't one of those popular successes that people talk a lot of well-deserved crap about. It is generally greatly admired for what it is, and what it is is something very important. Imagine being so beloved by so many readers. On the other hand, I honestly don't want to be a gazillionaire. So ideally, I would be a much-loved and well-respected upper-middle-class success who would stand the test of time. That's not too much to ask, is it? :rolleyes:

No, no, minnie, you can't go for the middle ground here-either be a gazillionaire or a timeless classic who will still be read in two hundred years. ;)

Miss Shelf said:
No, no, minnie, you can't go for the middle ground here-either be a gazillionaire or a timeless classic who will still be read in two hundred years. ;)
To prove I really meant it when I said I don't want to be a gazillionaire, I will call myself a timeless classic. ;)

Yeah....the gazillionare option is the way to go. Lots of money and people still read your books all around the world, even if they are classed as tripe :)

Catalyst said:
Yeah....the gazillionare option is the way to go. Lots of money and people still read your books all around the world, even if they are classed as tripe :)
They may be classified as tripe by some but there is a good possibility that they will become classics in their own right and continue to be read generations from now........or am I really out in "left field".:)

My sense of posterity is stronger than my plans that require money. I really am trying to go for the classic.

I'd go for the gazillionare. I'd much rather see people enjoy my book while I'm alive. How great would it be to be J.K Rowling! Plus, I love getting letters, and if I was like her than I'm sure that I would get enough to be happy for the rest of my life :) The money wouldn't be too bad, either.

If I were single with no dependents-you bet, only the good die young.;) Married with kids-show me the money! as CDA says.:)

I'd like to write a timeless classic because I would like for my writing to live on for as long as it can, even if I don't become a gazillionaire.

sorry to spoil the fun, but i don't want to write at all, not if i get money, not if people still read it in 100 years... i don't think i want to give soo much of my personality to all the people to read... i think every writer and author puts a piece of himself on the blank piece of paper...

go on.. =D

Wow. It seems Honeydevil said what I liked most.

As for me - I would not have thought of the two alternatives.
If I ever started writing, that would not be because I wanted to be famous, to have my sons & daughters spread evenly over the entire world, or for any reason other than the need to express myself. To do that and to keep reader interested, not breaking his jaw yawning is the difference between a good book and a bad one. Zillions or thousands of dough come after that, and are not real proof of wether the book is good or not.

Sorry for not playing by the rules,
:)

I think I'd go for a "timeless classic" if it brought in enough money to get a bigger house, a new car and pay off some bills. I don't need gazillions, but a few hundred thousand wouldn't hurt either. If my "timeless classic" wasn't going to bring in a penny I'd have to go for the gazillionaire option. Besides, I could then quit my job and spend all my time writing a second novel that would be a "timeless classic".

Back