• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Your Best Books of '10?

shadforth

My top 5 are:

1 The Missing by Tim Gautreaux
2 A Dream Of Wolves by Michael C White
3 The Witch's Trinity by Erika Mailman
4 Everlost by Neal Shusterman
5 Dark Matter by Michelle Paver

Special mention also:

The Wilding by Maria McCann
Sovereign by C.J Sansom
The Snowman by Jo Nesbo
The Declaration by Gemma Malley
The Killing Jar by Nicola Monaghan
Incarceron by Catherine Fisher
Spark Of Life by Erich Maria Remarque
Rollback by Robert J Sawyer
The Owl Killers by Karen Maitland
The Last Ride by Thomas Eidson

Best reads of 2010

An even dozen, ranked:

Outstanding
1. The Universal Baseball Association, Inc, J. Henry Waugh, Prop., by Robert Coover
2. Ill Fares the Land by Tony Judt (Non-fiction)
3. The Grand Design by Stephen Hawking and Leonard Mlodinow (Non-fiction)
4. Nocturnes by Kazuo Ishiguro. (Short stories)
5. Me and Miss Mandible by Donald Barthelme. (Short story)

Also Noteworthy
6. Our Kind of Traitor by John LeCarré
7. 2666 by Roberto Bolano.
8. The City and the City by China Miéville
9. Tinkers by Paul Harding.
10.The Perfect Scent by Chandler Burr. (Non-fiction).
11.Less Than Zero by Bret Easton Ellis
12.Possession by A. S. Byatt

My favorites of 2010 were:

A Widow for One Year by John Irving
The Night Listener by Armistead Maupin
Last Night by James Salter
Tinkers by Paul Harding
The Last Child by John Hart
A Gesture Life by Chang-rae Lee
The Loves of Charles II [3/1 book] by Jean Plaidy
The Brooklyn Follies by Paul Auster
Close to Shore by Michael Capuzzo
Regeneration by Pat Barker
The Eye in the Door by Pat Barker
The Ghost Road by Pat Barker

Close runner-ups were:

The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets' Nest by Stieg Larsson
The Blue Afternoon by William Boyd
Comedy in a Minor Key by Hans Keilson
The Snowman by Jo Nesbo
Sovereign by C. J. Sansom
Cleopatra, A Life by Stacy Schiff

A good reading year, all in all, I believe I could rate 85% of the books I've read this year at 4 or 5 stars.

My favorites for 2010:
The Translated Man by Chris Braak.
Bounce: Mozart, Federer, Picasso, Beckham, and the Science of Success by Matthew Syed.
The Bookman's Wake by John Dunning.
The War of Art: Winning the Inner Creative Battle by Steven Pressfield.
A History of the World in 6 Glasses by Tom Standage.
Looking for Calvin and Hobbes: The Unconventional Story of Bill Watterson and his Revolutionary Comic Strip by Nevin Martell.

Hmm. Lots of non-fiction in my list. Ah, well. :)

-David

My favorite reads for the past year were the following:

The Lovely Bones, by Alice Sebold
Geisha of Gion (a.k.a. Geisha: A Life), by Mineko Iwasaki
Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter, by Seth Grahame-Smith
The Book Thief, by Markus Zusak
100 Heartbeats, by Jeff Corwin
A Summer of Hummingbirds, by Christopher Benfrey
The Strain Trilogy: Books 1 and 2, by Guillermo del Toro and Chuck Hogan
Blood Oath (The President's Vampire #1), by Christopher Farnsworth
Homer's Odyssey, by Gwen Cooper
Cleopatra: A Life, by Stacy Schiff

In no particular order:

Perdido street station, China Mieville
Justice Hall, Laurie R King
The windup girl, Paolo Bacigalupi
Hullabaloo in the Guava orchard, Kiran Desai
People of the book, Geraldine Brooks
The Gargoyle, Andrew Davidson
Angel of ruin, Kim Wilkins

I started the year off strong, but didn't even pick up a book for the last three months of the year. I also started and gave up on two books, which wasted about three or four weeks.

Here's everything I read in 2010 in the order I read them:

The Things They Carried - Tim O'Brien
Even though it was a fictional account of the Vietnam war, much was taken from personal experiences. More people should read about that war and not forget about it. The book is broken into many short stories. So many terrible things happened over there. Quite depressing and disturbing. 4 stars

Chronic City - Jonathan Lethem
The first book of his that I've read and all I can say is that Lethem is certainly talented, but this story was the most inane bunch of crap I've ever had to suffer through and the only reason I did was because the book was a gift. I've never been so dumbfounded at such an intricate story that went absolutely nowhere with so many worthless characters. I don't doubt that he was trying to use the story as some kind of hugely complex metaphor, but I wasted enough time reading it and not about to try an decipher some "inner meaning." Ridiculous. 2 stars (the only reason this gets 2 stars is because Lethem's prose is so good)

A Storm of Swords & A Feast for Crows - George R.R. Martin
The last two books in the Song of Fire and Ice series. A Storm of Swords was incredible. So many huge twists and turns. A Feast for Crows was slower and left out several major characters, but it was necessary as he brought in new characters and gave more background on existing ones. I can't wait for the HBO series!! 5 stars

The Lovely Bones - Alice Sebold
Read this for the Book of the Month and thought it was fairly unremarkable and amateurish. I stated my complaints here: http://www.bookandreader.com/forums/f22/february-2010-alice-sebold-the-lovely-bones-19668.html 2 stars

Water for Elephants - Sara Gruen
Another Book of the Month read. Complete waste of time. http://www.bookandreader.com/forums/f22/march-2010-sara-gruen-water-for-elephants-19760.html 1 star

Last Exit to Brooklyn - Hubert Selby Jr
Fantastic and as gritty and unforgiving as anything you'll read. So incredibly intense. 5 stars

Falconer - John Cheever
I posted my review of it on my facebook:
A book about a prisoner named Zeke Farragut, Falconer is one of those antiquated "classics" in which the story is more centered around meandering thoughts and loose memories than any real description of the people and places that Farragut interacts with. The prose is exceptional however, but Cheever's style is much too poetic and rambling to connect with most people these days. Even though I called it antiquated, it was only written in 1977 which doesn't make it ancient or anything, but someone under 50 reading it these days will feel very disconnected.

Falconer is a fictional state prison named after a very small town in extreme western New York state. You never find out exactly where the prison is located in the book, but it's certainly somewhere in the northeast. Farragut is drug addict convicted of killing his brother. As you can expect with a story of prison life, there are multiple seedy characters that Farragut has to live amongst as well as the guards. But even so and considering all of the prison movies and tv shows we've been inundated with over the past 25 years, the story is extremely benign and reserved. It lacks intensity and drama. Characters are paper thin and faceless as Cheever rarely describes much about them. Much is left up to the imagination. Sure, we all have an image of horror of what kinds of things take place in prisons and I have to think that it wasn't any prettier and more than likely was a ton more brutal in the seventies. So to have a story about doing hard time be so uneventful and tiresomely poetic seemed intentionally unrealistic.

All in all though, it wasn't a chore to read. I finished it in about 5 days and didn't feel cheated or anything. Just indifferent. Just makes you wonder what it really means to win the Pulitzer Prize, or meant, at the very least.
3 stars

The Music of Chance - Paul Auster
My review: (could be a spoiler in there, but I tried not to)
Paul Auster is quickly becoming one of my favorite authors. His books nearly always revolve around very strange happenstance and coincidence that puts characters in some of the oddest situations that you could imagine. He develops personalities so fluidly and without effort that when they're thrust into these weird circumstances, you, just as much as the character, are thinking, how did I end up in this position? Look at me... a minute ago, a month ago, six months ago I was doing *this* or my life was going *this way* and here I am faced with this predicament? How did this happen? The Music of Chance might be the most far-fetched of these coincidental stories, but Auster's style is so grounded in reality and so identifiable that he can make it seem perfectly believable. Because, what's more unpredictable than life? Crazy things like this can happen at any time and I've always said that if you can't think it, then it's probably happened.

The difficult part of trying to explain a Paul Auster novel is that in order to do so, you end up telling the whole story because it's never anything you can stick into one particular genre. Without giving up too much, The Music of Chance is about a guy in his mid-30s who inherits a few hundred thousand dollars from his estranged father and like some people who have never known money, loses his mind with the prospect of temporary freedom. He quits his job, pays off all debts, buys a new car and drives all over the country for no other reason than to just do it. He's recently divorced and his daughter has been living with his sister in Minnesota and his cross-country touring always brings him back there to see her for a week or so at a time before he's off again. This continues for almost a year before his money is nearly dried up. By chance (this is a theme as you'd expect), he's driving down a mostly deserted country road and sees a young man staggering along the side of the road and notices that he's been severely beaten and offers him a ride. Skip forward a bunch and you understand that this kid is a hot-shot poker player that got roughed up by some people at a game. He mentions in passing that he knows of a high-stakes game that he's been invited to play in whenever he's ready if he can come up with the money to buy in, about ten grand.(remember that this was written in 1990, way before the World Series of Poker became such a pop-culture phenomenon on tv) The main character has about 14k left to his name and sees this as an opportunity to use him to win back a lot of the money he blew. Fast-forward again and it's down to a pressure-packed game of poker with two highly eccentric and massively wealthy old guys who the kid had just recently beaten the pants off of in Atlantic City about a month ago. This time he's not so lucky. In a desperate move, they agree to go into debt to keep the game going and again lose it all. With no way to pay, the rich guys keep them captive and force them to hard physical labor on their property. The physical labor is constructing a wall made of stones they bought from a dilapidated castle in Ireland. They're forced to live in a trailer in the woods together and build the wall for as long as it takes to pay back the money owed. Following all this?

Anyway, as preposterous as it sounds from a summary like that, it comes together perfectly believable. Of course, unexpected things happen and it builds to an intense climax. I read this book faster than any other book. In two days. Everything that kept happening was like a drug making me keep reading to see what would happen next. At several points in the book, you no doubt keep thinking, "how did they get to this point? a few hundred pages ago, they were *here* and now look at them.. crazy."

Paul Auster has written about a dozen books and this is the fourth of his I have read. Of those four, I'd put this one as the fourth best. It's definitely good, but nowhere near as good as The Book of Illusions or The Brooklyn Follies. Compared to those, it almost seemed like he was just messing around with this story, but it just shows how talented of a writer he is.
3.5 stars

The Road - Cormac McCarthy
Didn't like this as much as the movie. My review: (again, could be a few mild spoilers, but not really)
This is my first Cormac McCarthy novel and has made me a fan. However, from what little I explained to someone who has read several of his books, it's very different in terms of his style. The Road is written in a very unconventional format with the pages being fragmented into multi-spaced paragraphs and no definable chapters. Like a few other authors I've read, he used virtually no punctuation and no quotation marks around the dialog. The description is very dry and segmented at times in the form of very short sentences. It's different and mildly refreshing but after already having read books by Kent Haruf and Hubert Selby Jr, it's not new or innovative. If anything, it shows that you don't have to follow the strict rules of literature to write a compelling novel.

Before I saying anything else, know that I saw the movie first which I think is absolutely fantastic and heartbreakingly depressing. The book probably could have evoked similar feelings had I not already known what was going to happen, but not at the same magnitude. The book is too curt and devoid of personality for you to really have any feelings for anyone. It reads like someone calling play-by-play of a sports game; calling it as they see it with sparse moments of lucid descriptions.

The story is set in a post-apocalyptic world where brute force is a way of life. A father and son barely stave off starvation as they make their way along the road heading south all the while struggling to fend off and avoid the ruthless barbarity of the other starving and ultra-desperate survivors. With no animals and no crops, cannibalism is the norm and people will resort to even the most unthinkable ends to survive. There is a certain scene that was left out of the movie and probably rightfully so.

Because of the nature of the style of the book, there were several scenes brought to life in the movie that were infinitely more powerful than they were in the book. Be it the original score or the acting in general, the movie actually shows you what you couldn't see in the book because of the sometimes bland or even non-existent description. The book is hard and rigid and lifeless as no one has a face or a name. In fact, it's almost like it was written as a perfect screenplay for a director to bring to life. Take the scene with the old man on the side of the road and compare it to the adaptation in the movie and there just is no comparison.

I liked this book a lot, but it suffered from a lack of descriptive dialog. The dialog always moved too fast leaving too much to the imagination when it comes to facial expressions or tone of voice. I need to see the horror on the father's face when they go into that basement; I need to hear the desperation in the thieve's voice who stole their cart and see the pain on his face when they leave him on the side of the road. I saw and heard all of that in the movie and none of it in the book.

Good book and very good author, but I need not be more impressed by the movie.
3 stars

The Demon - Hubert Selby Jr
My review:
Hubert Selby Jr, most recently known for being the writer of Requiem for a Dream, is becoming one of my favorite authors. Selby was clearly disgusted with humanity and his seething bitterness was brought to life in his novels. Last Exit to Brooklyn was the first book of his I read which hooked me as a fan immediately. Banned in several countries, Last Exit is a brutal and unforgiving take on the realities of a big city and failed attempts at normalcy in a family atmosphere.

The Demon is a perfect example of the old adage, "he has demons," for someone who struggles with inner turmoil and can't be helped. Many authors have attempted the "sane person loses his mind" story, but nothing will compete with The Demon in that regard. I've never been more convinced of a character in a book who just completely loses his mind and Selby's erratic and unconventional writing style builds an atmosphere of panic that will affect the reader. Harry White is an immensely successful businessman in New York City with an amazing wife and family who struggles to control his temptations and the only way to satisfy his demons is to slowly up the ante. Selby never tries to make him a sympathetic or tragic character; to try and make his actions seem reasonable or identifiable. He simply shows you the essence of a complete mental and emotional breakdown that erupts to pure insanity.

You can be sure that Hubert Selby Jr's stories will not end on a positive note. There is no light at the end of the tunnel with him. I am in awe at the intensity of his writing.
5 stars

Moon Palace - Paul Auster
Another Auster story that is like five stories in one and again, trying to explain what it's about would mean almost describing the entire thing. Moon Palace rivals The Book of Illusions for my favorite of his books at this point. Paul Auster's imagination is astounding. 5 stars

Breakfast at Tiffany's - Truman Capote
Very good, but I didn't expect it to be so short. The dialog is dated but the prose is still fantastic. I watched the movie right afterwards having never seen it... good god. What a joke. :lol:

Deadwood - Pete Dexter
I know virtually nothing about westerns, but either my idea of them is completely off base or this is the black sheep of westerns. Basically a drama set in the "wild west" with no shoot outs or Indian rampages. Very impressive nonetheless. Pete Dexter is a very underrated author. 4 stars

I read a lot last year, but pick of the crop would have to be an oldie but a great, rollicking ride: Raymond Chandler's The Big Sleep.

20 books I loved this year:
Purge - Oksanen, Sofi (Finland)
A Dictionary of Maqiao - Han Shaogong (China)
The Library At Night - Manguel, Alberto (Canada)
Small Gods - Pratchett, Terry (UK)
Lowboy - Wray, John (S)
Darling River - Stridsberg, Sara (Sweden)
A Minute's Silence - Lenz, Siegfried (Germany)
My Struggle, vol 1 - Knausgård, Karl Ove (Norway)
Minnen - Lindgren, Torgny (Sweden)
Just Kids - Smith, Patti (US)
A Single Man - Isherwood, Christopher (US)
Almost Transparent Blue - Murakami, Ryu (Japan)
Hunger - Hamsun, Knut (Norway)
Hopscotch - Cortázar, Julio (Argentina)
The Unbearable Lightness Of Being - Kundera, Milan (Czech Rep.)
Kallocain - Boye, Karin (Sweden)
Voices From Chernobyl - Aleksievich, Svetlana (Belarus)
The Black Dahlia - Ellroy, James (US)
Death In Venice - Mann, Thomas (Germany)
W Or The Memory Of Childhood - Perec, Georges (France)

My favorites of 2010 were (in no particular order):
Hello, Darkness, by Sandra Brown
Rebecca, by Daphne du Maurier
Chill Factor, by Sandra Brown
The Boy with the Cuckoo-Clock Heart, by Mathias Malzieu
The Age of Innocence, by Edith Wharton
The Lovely Bones, by Alice Sebold

Off of the top of my head:

The Passage by Justin Cronin
Apartment 16 by Adam Nevill
The Kindly Ones by Anthony Powell
The ABC Murders by Agatha Christie
The Fall by Guillermo del Toro and Chuck Hogan
Use of Weapons by Iain M Banks

2666 - Roberto Bolano
In Other Rooms Other Wonders - Daniyal Mueenuddin
Labyrinths:Selected Short Stories - Borges

How would you rank that among his others? I've read it, so just wondering what someone else thinks.
I've read some rather uncomplimentary reviews of The Brooklyn Follies dude, but I suspect that is because Follies is not as typical an Auster as, especially, his earlier ones. His New York Trilogy for example stymied me, at least for now. :)

In addition to Follies, I've read Invisible, Moon Palace, In the Country of Last Things, and The Book of Illusions, that's all. It's difficult for me to rank them. I thought Illusions brilliant, maybe my favorite so far. Follies is very different in one way, but of the 5 I've read, all are about men struggling with life and identity in general. I guess I could say my heart has the softest spot for Follies though.
How did you feel about it?

I've read some rather uncomplimentary reviews of The Brooklyn Follies dude, but I suspect that is because Follies is not as typical an Auster as, especially, his earlier ones. His New York Trilogy for example stymied me, at least for now. :)

In addition to Follies, I've read Invisible, Moon Palace, In the Country of Last Things, and The Book of Illusions, that's all. It's difficult for me to rank them. I thought Illusions brilliant, maybe my favorite so far. Follies is very different in one way, but of the 5 I've read, all are about men struggling with life and identity in general. I guess I could say my heart has the softest spot for Follies though.
How did you feel about it?
It was the first of his that I read, so I guess I'll always have a soft spot for it, especially considering I just grabbed it off the shelf at a used book store not knowing anything about him. Since reading it and after several other books of his, I see how it's not quite as far-fetched of a story as the rest, but that might have been good for an entry-level read. I'm not sure that I would have been able to make it all the way through Book of Illusions if that were my first Auster book. Still though, I though Brooklyn Follies was very entertaining and had just enough happenstance and coincidence to make a good movie, which I wouldn't doubt might have been his intention as well.

One thing I noticed in a few of his books that you might have, or not, is that the women always seem to be the ones to "come to" the men or "make the first move" if you will. It happened in Brooklyn Follies, Book of Illusions and Moon Palace. I'm not sure if he's doing that intentionally or if he doesn't even realize he's doing it. Just an observation.

One thing I noticed in a few of his books that you might have, or not, is that the women always seem to be the ones to "come to" the men or "make the first move" if you will. It happened in Brooklyn Follies, Book of Illusions and Moon Palace. I'm not sure if he's doing that intentionally or if he doesn't even realize he's doing it. Just an observation.
I can't say I recall the specific instances, but since his males do tend to be searching for themselves, floundering lets say, that would make sense. That would certainly appeal to the maternal instinct in many women, and cause them to reach out.

Back