• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Your favorite fantasy series

Anon666

kickbox
Mine is most definitely Gotrek & Felix by William King. The diction is absolutely poetic, I will never get tired of reading this series. The first book Trollslayer in particular was an incredibly quick read. It was a collection of short stories surrounding the characters Gotrek and Felix, I read it in a day. Marvelous books....

So what's your favorite?

Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth saga. Despite his unpolished style I enjoy his stories and characters immensely. Plus his books were the first ones that really made me start reading fantasy on a regular basis.

I also really like Kushiel's Legacy by Jacqueline Carey. Her prose is beautiful and she has excellent worldbuilding skills. Also, Barb and JC Hendee's Noble Dead series is worth a look. It combines vampire fiction with sword and sorcery fantasy; quite interesting.

A Song of Ice and Fire - George R R Martin.. and i am waiting for the next one... waiting.....

Robin Hobb's Farseer Series comes in as a close second...

I like the George RR Martin series a lot, but my favourite fantasy series by a long way is the Discworld series by Terry Pratchett.

Sword of Truth suffers in the same way as Wheel of Time - too many books spread over too many years... but at least it's finished. :)

Bah, forgot about Discworld! Those are so funny (most of them; The Last Continent was boring as hell).

Now if we're talking about modern fantasy, then I'll go with Jim Butcher's The Dresden Files and Laurell K. Hamilton's Anita Blake: Vampire Hunter (despite its decline in quality). Kim Harrison's books aren't too bad either . . .

im just starting to read pawn of prophery in the belgariad! is it good?

btw is thta other seiries you mentioned a sequel seiries?

im dunno what my favorate is...The Inheritance Cycle by Christopher Paolini rocks because of all the action and blah blah XD,the Pellinor books by Alison Croggon because of the same reasons as Inheritance,and the Demonata by Darren Shan for its amazing plot!

if anyone likes complex plots,i mean REALLY complex,try darren shans demonata,hes been able to really confuse the plot because the first six books where not wirrten in order,he wrote the first book first,the 4th book second,the 5th book third,the 6th book fourth,the 3rd book fifth,and the second book sixth,so hes been able to play aroudn with the plot alot!

The Belgariad is pretty good; personally I don't find it a series I want to read over and over, but it has some very interesting characters although IMO the plot is rather unoriginal. Polgara is one of the most compelling fantasy characters I've ever come across (although on the whole I prefer Granny Weatherwax).

Personally I love the whole series (yes Mallorean is a sequel) There are also 3 companion books Belgarth the Sorcerer, Polgara the Soceress and the Rivan Codex (which essentially is the outline David Eddings use to create the series.)

I do suggest reading the companion books after completing the series then reading the series again if that makes sense. The companions books are a spoiler of sorts in my opinion but rich in content that will make a second read more enjoyable.

There is another series by David and Leigh Eddings, The Elenium and The Tamuli which I also enjoyed immensely. Its interesting to note, Leigh Eddings, David's wife, wasn't originally listed as a co-author, but she did indeed co-author every book. Her presence I believe was strongly felt, if not acknowledged, in the characterization of the female characters.

The warmth and the humorous interaction between the various characters, some scenes making me laugh outloud, is why I list this as my favorite reads, and ones I go back to over and over and over.....

Sadly I don't enjoy his latest creations nearly as much but I will continue to read any thing they publish.

YAY!!!! A Pellinor fan!!!!!I'll see if I can find any of the books you guys have recommended,they sound cool.Another good series is The Chanters of Terimaris series,the first one is The singer of all songs,really good.

The Well World Series by Jack Chalker

I read the Well World series years ago when almost all I read was science fiction for the most part. Jack Chalker's series is a combination science fiction/fantasy. I am pretty sure you could pick it up at American Book Exchange but I wouldn't count on it being in the local bookstore (at least not the whole series). When I reached the end, I remember being so disappointed because there was no more to read. A sure sign of a good book. Anyone else out there read this series?

I loved David Edding's series The Belgariad,The Mallorean and the 2 sequels.I havent read The Rivan Codex yet.I dont care for The Dreamer series but The Elenium and
The Tamuli were great.I am reading The Sword of Truth series now.They are not too bad.I have read some of The Wheel of Time and plan on starting over and than finishing the series.....Thanks for all the great read ideas.

Harry Potter are my favorite fantasy books. But the pellinor books sound cool. Ill have to try them!

harry potter sucks........well i supose that when you read them they seem like the best books in the world,but afterwards you realise man other books are WAAAAY better!

and im reading the belgariad,is it pronounced Bel-ga-ri-ad or Bel-gari-ad

Harry Potter isn't that bad.I have read all seven of the books and have loved them all.I used to consider Harry Potter as my favorite book until I read Pellinor then all that changed,but Harry still makes top ten.

Back