• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Your future at TBF - Poll

Your Forum Crystal Ball indicates:

• I just joined and I love this place, goin’ no where

Votes: 7 15.6%
  • I’m perfectly happy with the way things are right now, no complaints

• I’m on my way out, it’s changed too much

Votes: 2 4.4%
  • One more major forum blowout will drive me away, can’t stand the drama

• I’m waiting to see who the new mods will be, and how their style will effect the forum

• I’m layin’ low for now, time will tell, I’m on the fence I guess…

Votes: 11 24.4%
  • A few more stupid threads/debates/polls in General Chat will drive me away

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I’m currently searching for some other playground to romp in

Votes: 1 2.2%
  • I don’t understand the point of this poll. The forum is, what you make it

Votes: 6 13.3%
  • Haven’t put much thought into any of this, most of this is normal forum life isn’t it?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I joined because I wanted to. I stayed because I liked the people here and the conversations we had/have. There are people here who challenge me on a daily basis. I like that. You, Stewart, are one of those people.

I don't see that we need 15-20 threads on the same book, but I don't see the harm in having a few. I don't see the harm in a handful of new members having their own "new" discussion when the last post in a like-minded thread was well over a year ago.

I also don't think it's extremely friendly to have new members pounced on so forcefully, and so regularly, about the same book, from the same member. Let the mods do the moderating. They can combine threads.

Why do you think every newbie needs to know your opinion? I'm sure after they've gotten to know the search function, and read the other threads on TDVC/DB they will know exactly how you feel. I just think you could let one go without your input.....that's all.

Stewart said:
"And if they start a thread saying anyone read the da vinci code??? when it shows that they are so damn stupid to think that nobody would have discussed it before deserves all they get. Search before posting, search before posting...it's called good housekeeping."

That's why we have mods. Maybe you could pm a mod and ask for assistance in dealing with new posters instead of slamming them? After all...they are discussing a book aren't they?

Butting in here...there are always going to be threads that people don't like. The solution is to just ignore them. If you're the kind of person who can't ignore something that irritates you in a public forum, then you're taking your chances by letting people know you don't like something that's being discussed. No wonder there are so many members who don't post, they're probably afraid someone will jump down their throats.

This DaVinci thing is getting a little old. See how it's worming its way into a totally unrelated topic? I don't understand it myself, but if a lot of people like a book, nobody has the right to tell them they're stupid for liking it.

novella said:
My point, Moto, is not whether you've read every post here or not, but how you should 'moderate' this discussion that you've opened. I think it's undiplomatic and bad sportsmanship to ask for opinions and then jump on those people who disagree with you, and use the thread to try to justify your position.

If someone says that the crud in General Chat is driving them away and they hate it, I accept that. Telling them to post more or to ignore something is not the point. They know what their options are. They still don't like to come to TBF and see a load of inane off-topic threads.

Ask the question, take the answer for what it is. It's not up to you to 'hold things together.' Sometimes people leave for reasons you don't know anything about. It's not always a reflection on board dynamics.

Am I jumping on people? I thought I was discussing. I thought having an open conversation was more than letting people make a statement and then moving on without commenting. I have not told anybody they are wrong for having the opinion they have. If that's the implication then I'm sorry. Not my intention.

I know I can't stop people from leaving, but I'd like to understand why in some cases.

But when I explain to you my reasons for seriously considering leaving the forum in an effort to help you explain, you dismiss my reasons by stating that I should just ignore the threads that I find so undesirable. Believe me, I have *tried* to do this. I have tried over the last four or five months, in which I have become less and less active on the boards. So, it is a last resort to leave. Purely because the excesses of General Chat have leaked out all over the forum.

You suggest that bandwidth is not a problem, otherwise we would have been told. However, we both know that Darren has not been around so much in recent months, so when would we have been made aware.

To all my genuine reasons for not enjoying TBF anymore, you don't take them on board and try to understand. Instead you try and excuse it and make me feel like I'm the one with the problem.

magemanda said:
You suggest that bandwidth is not a problem, otherwise we would have been told. However, we both know that Darren has not been around so much in recent months, so when would we have been made aware.

All we know is the server was changed recently; could be because of bandwidth usage.

magemanda said:
To all my genuine reasons for not enjoying TBF anymore, you don't take them on board and try to understand. Instead you try and excuse it and make me feel like I'm the one with the problem.

Post # 56 I think....I asked for new posts, and asked for spammers and lighthearted conversationalists to restrain themselves....I did hear you...
go read that post....please

I'm a little wary about stepping into this thread but here goes...

Wherever there is a large community of people, there are going to be differences of opinion. We all interpret things differently and tend to view everything rather subjectively.

My views (for what their worth) on the Book Forum:

I read posts in all the book threads, but i tend to only post sporadically - as most times my views tend to be similar to others and it feels silly to just repeat what 10 other people have said.

The way I look it at it, i'm a member of the Book Forum, therefore I read all of the sections and post in a variety of them. I stumbled accidently into the writers area of the forum first and ended up exploring the rest because i was really impressed with the honest advice given by people like Novella, Sirmyk, Ell, and so forth.

In my experience the Forum is welcoming to newbies, and yes i do see cliques but i've never felt ignored or left out. The General Chat area has really helped me to 'get to know' people better, its helped me to see whose advice re books etc i can rely on. Its given me a good idea about the members, their backgrounds etc - personally I like to know a little about the people whose thoughts i'm reading.
I myself have posted in the infamous farting thread, It may be deemed juvenile, but it sure put a smile on my face after a nasty day at work. I can understand though how some members are turned off by threads like this and also other spamming ones, especially when it spills out of the general chat area. I think that as long as they are contained in the general chat they are harmless. Some people are accused of posting inane threads, and others are accused of posting pedantic ones, it all confuses me. Unless a selection process of members is going to be put in place you are going to get a great big melting pot of people. As long as all 'discussions' are kept in the relevant sections I think this forum is fine and dandy.

Nice post Gem...please don't be wary of stepping into any thread. Your opinion and thoughts are just as important as anybody elses...

I just got a pm from Ronny...she's gone now too.... :( :( :mad: :(

So, if you're counting, or have been observing.....jenngorham is gone, ricky I assume is gone too, ronny is now gone....jay, shade...who else....

Haven't seen leckert in a while, sirmyk, robert obviously....ritalinkid, geenh, jenem....