• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Your reading routine

Apart from making sure I'm in a room that has a music-playing device, I don't really follow any ritual. I do like listening to music when I read, provided it's not extremely loud.

I have to have a book. After that, anything goes. I can multi-task quite easily, so I read while watching movies, listening to conversations, playing Monopoly, listening to music, bathing, cooking, walking, standing, etc. If it is a good book then nothing can distract me.

I love reading in the bathtub, especially I am reading sea novels. Melville, Dana, London, Stevenson...love reading them while the bathwater is running. The only trouble is the tub keeps filling up.

I tried to read in bed, but found that it triggered me to get sleepy whenever I read. I could be reading at lunch and start to doze off no matter how interesting the book. Had to stop that.

The only place I cannot read is in a car. I have extreme motion sickness and it exacerbates it badly.

The only thing I need around me when I read is a diet soda of any variety.

In bed or on the lounge with a couple of big fluffy pillows, some classic music in the background with a cup of tea :)

Anytime and anyplace.
I'll read on my lunch hour at work, or in bed before going to sleep, or in the morning if I wake up early, sometimes just for 5 or 10 minutes while i'm waiting for something.
Anytime's fine by me :)

In other words, what other items do you have to have around you for the ideal reading environment?

The train or the bus. I usually don't read at home, I read while I'm going to and coming from work.

So basically I end up with: a book + a public transport.

(At home, if it's possible: bed + bedside lamp + music. But usually I end up falling asleep, so transports are definitely the best option)

Dharma

I like to have quiet when I'm reading, so I don't like the TV or music on in the background. I like to completely immerse myself into the pages. Other than that I don't mind where I read. If I'm working away it'll be in my hotel room or a train or plane. I love reading on holiday - tend to get through at least 2 or 3 books. At home I tend to just read in bed before going to sleep.

At the beach is my favorite place to read... Sadly that can only happen in the summer, so most of my reading takes place at my bed.

Good question! I'll read any place, any time. I don't really have a ritual exactly! However, I suppose I do have a "most enjoyable" reading ritual. I love to curl up in a big chair with a book, blanket, cup of tea and (preferably) a log in the fireplace! Throw in a late night sky and some rain, and I'm set for the night! My boyfriend and I quite often do this and it's a great night in.

I don't have a routine, but I like to be reclining, almost lying down. My cat is allowed to join me, but only if she's not disruptive. Sometimes I eat popcorn while I read:) This was fun with Harry Potter books, like being at the movies.

I like to be reclining, almost lying down.
I replaced my ugly burnt orange recliner with an ugly brown recliner. The color makes no difference while I'm reading and I need to have my feet up. A cup of rapidly cooling coffee is good too.

I don't know if you'd call it a ritual, but I pretty much have to read at least one chapter as soon as I get home from work. It relaxes me and allows me to put the workday out of my head. The hubby appreciates it because I don't "vent" about work. After that, it all depends.

I've been known to read a book with the TV on, while playing poker online. I also read every time I step out onto the deck for a cigarette (no "Quit smoking, it's bad for you" rants, please. I know it's bad for me, but I enjoy it-I'm gonna die anyway). I read while I'm waiting for the timer on the stove while preparing dinner. I read during the commercials of the football game. I read while listening to music. I read when "the boys" are over and playing on the Playstation (even if I'm playing too, I read when it's not my turn). Basically, I'm always in the middle of a book and will stick my nose into it at any and every opportunity. While on vacation I usually read at least 3 books either while sitting on the beach, by the pool or in the hot tub at night. I've also been known to read by flashlight when a hurricaine or storm has knocked out the power.

My ideal reading environment would be stretched out on the futon, cold beer in hand, cooler full of beer beside me (or substitute wine for beer), classical music playing in the background and my dog sitting on my toes keeping them warm and nuzzling me for attention every once in a while so I return to reality long enough to relieve myself and acknowledge the hubby's presence.

I need to get much better. Usually, I sneak a few minutes of reading before bedtime.

On the other hand, I spend a great deal of time writing, so it's not wasted.

Ideal book reading setting? Outside on an overcast day sitting on my Adirondack chair with a beverage by my side or wintertime in front of a fireplace sitting on my favorite chair with a hot chocolate.

I read whenever I have time. I don't have a ritual or anything. I just pick up the book and read. I normally read on the couch by the tv, in the kitchen, on the deck by the lake when its warm, or in bed. Most of the time my days are so busy I really only get time to read when I get back from the gym in the morning or before bed.

All I need is reading material and earplugs and I can read anywhere, sitting, standing, lying down....ok walking is dangerous.

Back