• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

your top ten tv shows

Buddy Knox said:
everybody loves Seinfeld

No. They most certainly don't.

If you were to say that everbody loves pie, then I would whole heartedly agree with you. But on this I stand firm. Everbody does not love Seinfeld. I can't even bear to be in the room if it's on, not that it ever is on as I don't know any real people who actually watch it. As with Mile-O, the only people I know of that watch it, only exist on computer screens. And I don't really believe that any of you are real. You're just a sophisticated AI sent again of the main invasion fleet in order to guage our reactions and intelligence.

lol. i didn't know you guys took your dislike of Seinfeld so seriously. I'll have to watch my general statements in the future. :p

Mile-O-Phile said:
I find a difference between British comedies and American comedies. While the audiences of British comedies are likely to laugh at jokes, wordplay, sarcasm, and basically putting folk down, American comedies seem to get their laughs from actions and observations.
this may be true, but your response almost has a 'British Comedies Are Superior' sort of feel to it. I agree that we produce a lot of garbage in the States, but i'm sure that's the case everywhere. I appreciate shows like Mr. Bean, Are You Being Served?, & Keeping Up Apppearances. I find them all very funny and watch them every now and them. However, when i think of British comedies in general I think about Fawlty Towers, a show that's so boring it makes me want to digest a bottle of sleeping pills whenever I see it on. It's all a cultural thing, we just find different things funny. Saying which brand of comedy is superior is like comparing apples and oranges. I'm sure your intent wasn't to come off the way I say that you did, I just wanted to add my two cents.

Litany said:
I don't know any real people who actually watch it. As with Mile-O, the only people I know of that watch it, only exist on computer screens. And I don't really believe that any of you are real. You're just a sophisticated AI sent again of the main invasion fleet in order to guage our reactions and intelligence.

hahahaha. oh we're very real...and there's a ton of us out there... BEWARE.

trying to narrow it down, wonders whether it has to be contemporary. no order.

1. Have i got news for you
2. Black books
3. Sharpes rifles etc.
4. simpsons
5. Porridge
6. documentaries about archaelogy (that doesn't involve baldrick running around and telling us that they've found an important bit of slag)
7. University challenge (the only quiz show with intelligent questions, paxman is a god and makes ann robinson look like the stupid tart she is)
8. IQ c'mon it's stephen fry
9. spaced
10. kath and kim

i've missed out loads of things there, i also love seinfeld but they never gave it a chance it britain, same as scrubs - kept switching what time it was on untill i lost track of it. no room for red dwarf, black adder etc.

it's just occured to me how stupid it is that we're discussing tv shows and not books, can't remember the last decent debate that was had on this forum about books?

ksky

Buddy Knox said:
It's all a cultural thing, we just find different things funny. Saying which brand of comedy is superior is like comparing apples and oranges. I'm sure your intent wasn't to come off the way I say that you did, I just wanted to add my two cents.
I think its also a personality thing. Almost all the engineers I know love British humor as compared to American humor. Those whom I know who are not in a scientific/engineering profession tend not to enjoy British humor as much.

Not in order of preference:

Buffy (I'll be sad with Phil then)
Angel (doubly sad?)
Blackadder
Porridge
Brass
The Prisoner
American Gothic (RIP) :(
Father Ted
Futurama
The Simpsons

PS - I like Time Team too! :p

Mines are

ER
Dawnson's Creek
Relocation Relocation
Parkinson
Sex in the City
Book Club (Not right title, I can't remember, it was comedy in Channel 4)
Historal dramas

Most of programmes are rubbish, that's why I don't watch much.

VTChEwbecca said:
I think its also a personality thing. Almost all the engineers I know love British humor as compared to American humor. Those whom I know who are not in a scientific/engineering profession tend not to enjoy British humor as much.

my dad is an engineer and he hates british comedy.

Ok, I've seen other people add their crap so I guess it's all right for me to make a deposit too.
These are my all time top 10 in no particular order.

The Muppet Show
MASH
Barney Miller
WKRP in Cincinatti
Hillstreet Blues
SG-1
Antique Roadshow
I Love Lucy
Monty Python
All in the Family

I don't watch much TV now and many of the shows listed on the thread I never even heard of.(what's family guy?) You can set a match to any reality show (American Idol? Gimme a friggin break) And if a hockey game comes on, there's no other channel worth watching. :cool:

RaVeN

Okay, okay!

Okay already!

Stop nagging!

I'll post mine (of course, in no particular order):
  • Six Feet Under (Fantastic! I own the first season on DVD)
  • ER (Very well written)
  • 24 (Well, the first season, that is)
  • Red Dwarf (It's not on at the moment, but still the best comedy out there)
And that's honestly all I could think of right now. I used to like Buffy and Angel but then my puberty ended.

I'll post more if and when I think of them.

Cheers, Martin :cool:

RaVeN said:
Barney Miller
All in the Family

And if a hockey game comes on, there's no other channel worth watching. :cool:
Barney Miller & All in the Family both rock! Did you know they just put season 1 of Barney Miller out on DVD? I haven't gotten it yet, but I plan to do so.

Hear ya there...hockey and football are the only reasons I consider watching tv anymore.

A whole four, Martin!! :D

And .... did someone say Dawson's Creek!! Mwahahahahaha!!! :p

A load of thirty year olds pretending to be kids whining about EVERYTHING .... not that ive ever watched it you understand ....

.... WHAT, it has Katie Holmes in it, dammit!! :D

Phil

Yes, Phil, a whole four .. I have better things to do. Like spamming, and reading, and spamming, and spamming ...

Cheers, Martin :cool:

RaVeN said:
what's family guy?
:eek:

Family Guy is only one of the most hillarious shows ever made.

i would tell you to buy one of the DVD sets, but they're $40 each (American). i'd hate for you to buy it and then not find them funny, although i don't think that's possible. if i were you i'd download a few episodes to get an introduction to the show. they should be pretty easy to find.

I think they are half price at the mo on Amazon actually (Simpsons & Futurama both are - £15 per series!! (about $30!!)

Phil

Most of what I watch is all on dvd or on the computer, but out of that:
1. Rurouni Kenshin(not on cartoon network)
2. Ah My Goddess
3. Witch Hunter Robin(not on cartoon network)
4. Tenchi Muyo
5. Reccord of Lodos War
6. Outlaw Star
7. Marmalade Boy
8. Love Hina
(...Those are all anime, talk about variety.)

The rest of what watch is hgtv, or the history channel.

Back