• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Zombie Novel Recommendations

SLot Dave

Does anyone have any recommendations in zombie post-apocalyptic horror, similar to Romero's Night/Dawn/Day of the Dead stories. I've always enjoyed this niche but it seems to be more of a movie niche than book.

Some that I've read, with my opinions:

* The Dead (Mark Rogers) - 4 of 5 stars. Formulaic in the lines of one of Romero's movies. Not a bad thing, but no real twists.
* Reign of the Dead (Len Barnhart) - 2 of 5 stars. Couldn't get into it, the characters actions were stereotypical including near-bulletproof protagonist.
* Reign of the Dead: Apocalypse End (Len Barnhart) - 1 of 5 stars. Couldn't finish it. Implausibility level was too high. Characters were still flat.
* The Dead Shall Inherit the Earth (Vince Churchill) - 2 of 5 stars. Zombies in space. The universe progression didn't seem very well thought out. Motivations seemed current-day even though it was set many years in the future. Made it so I couldn't like the characters.
* I Am Legend - (Matheson) 5 of 5 stars. I wish it were longer!

Hmmm, I'm not too sure of zombie-specific books, but a couple of the early books in Laurell K Hamilton's Anita Blake series featured some excellent zombie scenes (being as she is an animator). Might be worth checking them out. The series begins with 'Guilty Pleasures' and is now on the 12th book!

An interesting twist is Poppy Z. Brite's short story Calcutta, Lord of Nerves from her short story collection Swamp Foetus (UK); Wormwood (US).

"The Rising" by Brian Keene

I read that book a few months ago. I was enjoying it and then it just kind of...stopped. Hopefully he will make a sequel. The zombies were interesting in that they were "possessed" by ancient, evil spirits. And there weren't just Human zombies, animals were fair game as well (zombie wombats!). I also read "The Zombie Survival Guide" by Max Brooks which is constructed like an actual how-to guide with instructions on the best methods of survival after the inevitable zombie takeover.

Sell Sword said:
I also read "The Zombie Survival Guide" by Max Brooks which is constructed like an actual how-to guide with instructions on the best methods of survival after the inevitable zombie takeover.

I have that book!! I love it, especially the 'true' documents in the back!

lenny nero said:
The Rising has a sequel coming soon, City of the Dead. I thought the 1st one was a fun read.

This was a post from another thread I started last week:
Sell Sword said:
F. Paul Wilson - Infernal (04/30)
Steve Alten - The Loch (04/30)
Julian May - Ironcrown Moon (04/30)
Brandon Sanderson - Elantris (05/01)
James Rollins - Map of Bones (05/01)
Jim Butcher - Dead Beat (05/01)
Brian Keene - City of the Dead (05/31)
Glen Cook - The Tyranny of the Night (06/01)
Dan Danko - The Brotherhood of Rotten Babysitters (06/01) *Y'know...for my kids
Kate Forsyth - The Tower of Ravens (06/07)
Douglas Preston & Lincoln Child - Dance of Death (06/07)
James Clemens - Shadowfall (07/01)
Kevin J. Anderson - Scattered Suns (07/18)
Patricia Briggs - Raven's Strike (07/26)
Holly Lisle - Talyn: A Novel of Korre (08/01)
Barbara Hambly - Sisters of the Raven (08/01)
Jacqueline Carey - Godslayer (08/01)
Dan Danko - Invasion of the Evil Teachers From Planet Buttface (09/01) *see above
John Marco - The Sword of Angels (09/06)
Sarah Ash - Children of the Serpent Gate (09/27)
Elizabeth Haydon - The Assassin King (10/01)

I'd agree that zombies are pretty under represented in horror fiction (certainly compared to the movies). I seem to remember that 'Deathday' by Shaun Hutson was kind of fun, although much motr in the vein of Lucio Fulci than Romero.

There are some zombie-like objects in GRR Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire series. I recall that Roger Zelazny uses them in Lord of Light. Also, they make up a sizable part of the plot in one of Piers Anthony's Xanth books but I have tried to forget reading those.

Lots of movies, not too many books.

Wet Work

Philip Nutman's l994 WET WORK was great. Keene's CITY OF THE DEAD will become legendary---this one blows THE RISING away!

-Nick

Christopher Fowler's Darkest Day has zombies although it is, to be fair, a tongue-in-cheek treatment.

Don't have any zombie book recommendations for you. But i can tell you that Resident Evil, a video game, is the greatest thing ever!!!! Go Play! :cool:

Xombie horror

Almost finished Xombies by Walter Greatshell. It's a pretty decent read, but I liked The Rising better.

Actually i was going to suggest that, Resident Evil has quite a few books, i read them when i was younger. From what i remember they dont take long to read but have an interesting story. I wouldn't call it top notch but if you like the game or movies they are actually kind of cool.

Back