• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

50 foods you should try in your life time

Wabbit

The food section of the BBC's online presence has an a list of 50 foods you have to try in your lifetime Members of the public were asked this question and the list was compiled. Terrible! I really despair of this country's cuisine!

The list is just nonsense anyway. WHO did they ask? Did they take their questionnaire to an idiot convention? I mean, who the hell when asked "what food must you try in your life said... SANDWICHES!!!!???? Apparently quite a lot of people think this is a food you must try before you die since it's at no.24!

In the top 10 we have ice cream, pizza, curry and Chinese??? Alright, I love those things but I wouldn't really go so far to say as they were "to die for"

No Risotto? No Chicken chicken chasseur? No Steak Tarte? Paella and Tapas at the bottom under such things as pancakes, sandwiches, and burgers??? :eek:

The top 50

1. Fresh fish
2. Lobster
3. Steak
4. Thai food
5. Chinese food
6. Ice cream
7. Pizza
8. Crab
9. Curry
10. Prawns

11. Moreton Bay Bugs
12. Clam chowder
13. Barbecues
14. pancakes
15. Pasta
16. Mussels
17. Cheesecake
18. Lamb
19. Cream tea
20. Alligator
21. Oysters
22. Kangaroo
23. Chocolate
24. Sandwiches
25. Greek food
26. Burgers
27. Mexican food
28. Squid
29. American diner breakfast
30. Salmon
31. Venison
32. Guinea pig
33. Shark
34. Sushi
35. Paella
36. Barramundi
37. Reindeer
38. Kebab
39. Scallops
40. Australian meat pie
41. Mango
42. Durian fruit
43. Octopus
44. Ribs45. Roast beef
46. Tapas
47. Jerk chicken/pork
48. Haggis
49. Cornish Pasty
50. Caviar

What would your answer have been?

I think grouping Chinese food into a single numbered point is simply too, well... simplistic. Travesty!

Same goes with Thai food.

But I must say I'm impressed with the inclusion of durians. I just had some over the weekend, and it's simply heavenly...

ds

I can only answer this in terms of what foods changed my outlook and gave me immediate great pleasure, and also in terms of foods that are simply amazing just in their pure form.

Prepared dishes with many ingredients depend too much on each ingredient and the execution to make a blanket statement. Like, pizza can be wonderful or terrible, as can paella or chicken chasseur, depending on the ingredients and skill of the cook.

So, with that in mind, my list of mood-altering foods includes:

perfectly ripe unpasteurized Camembert
yellowtail sashimi
perfectly ripe Brandywine tomato fresh off the vine
Stilton--at its best--with a dram of Porto
Iranian Beluga caviar, just as it is

Well, this list is obviously flawed, as chocolate only makes it to number 23. :eek: Also, I am allergic to most of the top 20. :D

direstraits said:
I think grouping Chinese food into a single numbered point is simply too, well... simplistic. Travesty!

Same goes with Thai food.

But I must say I'm impressed with the inclusion of durians. I just had some over the weekend, and it's simply heavenly...

ds

I thought the same too. How can you just lump "Chinese food" into one single thing? China is VAST with many different regions and styles of food that vary considerably. Same goes for Indian and Thai.

Novella said:
I can only answer this in terms of what foods changed my outlook and gave me immediate great pleasure, and also in terms of foods that are simply amazing just in their pure form.

Prepared dishes with many ingredients depend too much on each ingredient and the execution to make a blanket statement. Like, pizza can be wonderful or terrible, as can paella or chicken chasseur, depending on the ingredients and skill of the cook.

So, with that in mind, my list of mood-altering foods includes:

perfectly ripe unpasteurized Camembert
yellowtail sashimi
perfectly ripe Brandywine tomato fresh off the vine
Stilton--at its best--with a dram of Porto
Iranian Beluga caviar, just as it is

There is something in what you say :)

However if you take that argument to it's logical conclusion everything can be terrible. You can get bad cheese or spoiled wine. I would make the assumption that whatever dish you are talking referring to is of a decent quality.

I do like your take on the question!

Halo said:
Well, this list is obviously flawed, as chocolate only makes it to number 23. Also, I am allergic to most of the top 20.

I didn't notice that! Chocolate should obviously be number one! Let us go and beat those responsible with sticks till they recant their terrible heresy :D

Wabbit said:
3. Steak
4. Thai food
5. Chinese food
6. Ice cream
7. Pizza
8. Crab
9. Curry
10. Prawns
13. Barbecues
14. pancakes
15. Pasta
17. Cheesecake
18. Lamb
20. Alligator
22. Kangaroo
23. Chocolate
24. Sandwiches
25. Greek food
26. Burgers
27. Mexican food
28. Squid
29. American diner breakfast
31. Venison
37. Reindeer
38. Kebab
41. Mango
44. Ribs
45. Roast beef
46. Tapas
47. Jerk chicken/pork
48. Haggis
49. Caviar
50. Cornish Pasty

I've not got much left to eat then having sampled all of these.

Also, if there's 50 foods shouldn't there be a list of 50? ;)

I know, I feel so lucky that I have tasted sandwiches, bugers, and pancakes. I couldn't imagine not having sampled those delights.

Don't look at me! Have a look at the link! They only list that many :confused: Stupid list :p

Stewart said:
I've not got much left to eat then having sampled all of these.
You've eaten Kangaroo and Guinea Pig?

I've got to say that this list is pretty weak and doesn't have many adventurous items on it. There were less than 10 that I hadn't eaten and it's only because I don't have anywhere to get them (or what some of them even are).

11. Moreton Bay Bugs
19. Cream tea
22. Kangaroo
32. Guinea pig
40. Australian meat pie
42. Durian fruit
48. Haggis
49. Cornish Pasty

11. Moreton Bay Bugs
19. Cream tea
22. Kangaroo
32. Guinea pig
40. Australian meat pie
42. Durian fruit
48. Haggis
49. Cornish Pasty

Those are the same ones I haven't eaten and am curious about. Are the bugs like grubs or crunchy like a grass hopper? Cream tea sounds like it could be good but what is it? Does kangaroo taste like chicken and if so why not have chicken instead? I had a pet guinea pig and would never consider eating one. What kind of meat is in the meat pie? From what I've heard haggis is I have no desire to eat it.

Ewww! Too much fish and seafood on that list for my liking. Where's the cranberry pie, granny cake, beef stew with dumplings, Navajo fried bread, those raisin things my grandma makes (I can make them too), my sloppy joes, my meatless buritos?

MANGO??
the is'nt something people desperetly need try is it ?
(i don't mind mango but it's the point)
i've had octipus sushi though that was good ...
by the way why isn't lizard ( its called dhab) on the list aligater is; here people eat them sometimes (traditionaly desert food)

Picture time!

Since I just had some last weekend, and took some pictures, thought I'd share with you the fantastic king of fruits: durians! Which also happens to be in the list of the top 50 food to try.

durians7ur.jpg

durians21ta.jpg

Yup, it's the spiky green fruit you see with the yellow fleshy thingee that you actually eat (but watch the seed!).

Yum.

ds

p.s. The guy sitting there attempting to split open the durian isn't me.

Stewart said:
You've got to try haggis. Look about online, you might find some. :)

I see that it's a big dish in Scotland. Do you folks actually like it? Or just eat it out of tradition? Honestly though, I'd give it a shot. Organs don't bother me at all. Although I do see it's served with turnip & mashed potatoes, which are gross as hell.

mehastings said:
Do you folks actually like it?

It's nice. Spiced meat served within a sheep's stomach. The actual stomach is just used to parcel it up and is a thin skin - it's not the stomach with guts hanging off it. ;)

Neeps and tatties can go to hell. :)

You should try the fried pig's blood that is Black Pudding. :D

Back