• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

A Bestseller You Hated

I have quite a few.

Catcher in the rye

:blink: salinger? have u read anything from the seymore story lines? a perfect day for a bananafish (from "nine stories")? franny and zooey? raise high the roof beams carpenters? gives a different perception on salingers writing instead of the obligation u feel when a teacher forces holden caulfield on you.

im actually currently reading J.D.: The Plot to Steal J.D. Salingers Manuscripts and it is fantastic (*makes a mental note to update currently reading status on account*)

i know why i hated certain parts of catcher, and its probably my least favorite from what hes written

i hate the lotr series..

i dont know but i dont like the characters and i think the story is not as exciting as other series..

but i love the twilight series..

cant wait for newmoon in movies..:lol:

leighton- i didnt like the lord of the rings series other than the hobbit... the fantasy series im reading right now is kinda similar in a bunch of ways but it has more plot and better character development and they do more than just travel from place to place lol

i hate the insane fans of twilight more than the books themselves, but i still dont like twilight... it plays to the insecurities and emotions of every single teenage girl instead of having any kind of actual writing in it. he descriptions are extremely limited and the woman needs a thesaurus ... granted- the story is an easy read the keeps u interested but other than that it has nothing else to offer. but thats just my opinion... i dont mind people liking the book and obviously you have read more than just the twilight series but those ignorant people who say its the greatest piece of literature in years needs to be shot in the face lol

and now im glancing up seeing both great gatsby and jane eyre being disliked.. everyone is entitled to their own opinion but oh man can i PLEASE ask why? i loved jane eyre so much that my daughters middle name is "Adele"... and i have read the great gatsby more times than any other book haha... im very curious as to reasons why they were unliked! i didnt watch either movies...

It's been a while since I read these books, but I will try to recall.

Jane Eyre - I didn't hate this book as much as I hated the protagonist. I know there are people who see Jane Eyre as the epitome of love and humanity, but I find her unreal. The true love and sacrifice for love sounds melodramatic to me. I am so used to seeing these kind of characters in Hindi movies, probably I am suffering from an overdose. Overall the book didn't do anything to me. There is nothing I took back from the book. So, I should probably change my sentence from 'I hated Jane Eyre' to 'I didn't like Jane Eyre'.

The Great Gatsby - I went back and read my notes about Gatsby and looks like there are a few things I liked about the book. The opening sentence, for example, and the last 40-50 pages. So, I again correct myself to 'I didn't like Gatsby'.

To answer your question about Salinger - no, I haven't read anything else by this author and I don't think I will because Catcher was such a disappointment for me. I simply hated this book. First of all, the language was a big problem, the swearing and curse words in every other sentence and the depressing tone of the narrator - I don't remember much about this book but that I hated it. If you really think I might change my opinion about Salinger, then please recommend one book and I will give Salinger another try.

This being said, I sometimes wonder if I lack that property as a reader to appreciate such books. I have hardly liked a classic which people absolutely love, one exception being Pride and Prejudice (I didn't like Emma though). I have sincerely tried to read every classic with the hope that I will like it, but haven't succeeded yet.

Let's talk about Jane Eyre. What do you like about this book? I am trying to figure out what I lack to appreciate this book by asking you what you like about this book.

sorry if i sounded offended, it wasn't in downplaying what your opinion is, it is more of how much i absolutely ADORE those books. they were all on my top books list haha. so i have no problem with ur taste, i was honestly just curious.

as for jane eyre, after seeing the posts in this thread i decided to read it again for probably the 9th or 10th time haha. i'm not too far into it yet but i have already annotated some of my favorite lines and social commentaries charlotte has made. (charlotte bronte, just to be clear on my opinion, is the most unbelievably dark romantic socially adept authors and i respect her and appreciate her more so than her sister or austen because the other authors tend to be so upbeat and all about the romance, while charlotte is making an utter and complete novel on how society was and had a small love story in it which got twisted with a suicidal crazy wife hidden in the attic and what not...) but in the beginning of jane eyre this line really hit me "no; you are less than a servant, for you do nothing for your keep. There, sit down, and think over your wickedness"... this is the maid talking to a ten year old jane eyre who is verbally emotionally and physically abused by the family she was left to when she became an orphan... she was always well behaved and was only terrorized but still they give her no credit and tell her to think on her "wickedness".. then when she finally retaliates she says [about the other children] "they are not fit to associate with me!" it's like an outcry of individualistic women in that time who didnt just sit and do what they were told. they realized that they are more than that and i think this is such a beautiful portrayal of not a ten year old girl but of any woman who did not want to be the same as everyone else. the beginning of the independence we have now bellowing from the lungs of a ten year old jane eyre. also when she runs away and lives days without barely anything to escape the tyranny of everywhere she was placed, she learns the real world to gain her own perception. im sorry i will stop because there is so much more i love about the book and i just realized how long my rant was.. haha

all i have left to say is to read "nine stories" by salinger. i agree with everything you said about catcher in the rye but my only defense is that ... well.. thats the point! haha. salinger spent a ton of time in this one woolworths listening to and observing kids... his whole point in the book is of innocence and changing your perspective from "the rebel victim who causes trouble" to a responsible adult. but again, seymore is and will always be my favorite salinger character .. read a perfect day for a bananafish (one of the nine stories) and you will meet seymore.. beautiful.

sorry if i sounded offended, it wasn't in downplaying what your opinion is, it is more of how much i absolutely ADORE those books. they were all on my top books list haha. so i have no problem with ur taste, i was honestly just curious.

No, you didn't offend me. Just like how you were curious about why people didn't like these books, I am curious to know why people like them :)

im sorry i will stop because there is so much more i love about the book and i just realized how long my rant was.. haha

No, it was not a rant. It was your appreciation for the book and I respect it.

all i have left to say is to read "nine stories" by salinger. i agree with everything you said about catcher in the rye but my only defense is that ... well.. thats the point! haha. salinger spent a ton of time in this one woolworths listening to and observing kids... his whole point in the book is of innocence and changing your perspective from "the rebel victim who causes trouble" to a responsible adult. but again, seymore is and will always be my favorite salinger character .. read a perfect day for a bananafish (one of the nine stories) and you will meet seymore.. beautiful.

I will sincerely give this a try and I hope I like Salinger this time.

The Twilight series... really not for me...
The Da Vinci Code was a lot of badly written rubbish as far as I was concerned...
And last, but by no means least... Bridget Jones's Diary. I just wanted to give her a slap and tell her to pull herself together!

Interview with the Vampire - I have tried to read this book a billion times and have yet to finish it once. Terrible. Too boring for me.

I'm struggling through the complete works of Jane Austen. It's not looking good though.

Also, the 2nd book in the LOTR series bored me to tears and I wanted to die.

I didn't like Atonement either. The writing wasn't particularly riveting or memorable and the story just moved too slowly for my liking. Strangely enough, the film version was really good. More tolerable than the novel at any rate . . .

i hate..

i hate the book star written by danielle steel..

i dont know but i dont like the way she writes a book and i dont read any of her books..even if my mum is her biggest fan,,.:whistling:

A Prayer for Owen Meany - John Irving.

EDIT: Must also agree with Jasmine about the dread She's Come Undone by Wally Lamb.

Da Vinci Code - I wanted to shove the book into a roaring flame, but realised the symoblism of my actions would have made too many DVC fans smug. I hate it, and i mean, i HATE it when authors treat their readers like imbeciles.

Bridget Jones Diary - for giving such a bad portrayal of women.

Twilight - Okay, i didn't read this but the movie made me gag. What the hell?? Vampires do NOT sparkle in sunlight (no apologies will be made even if no sparkling action takes place in the book; the storyline sucks).

Uncle Tom's Cabin - another book that i wanted to, and DID, set on fire within reading the first 10 pages of the book (okay, fine. This isn't exactly a best-seller, but i just had to get it off my chest).

If Jodi Picoult was a book, I'd burn her too.

Orphan;283471EDIT: Must also agree with Jasmine about the dread [U said:
She's Come Undone[/U] by Wally Lamb.

I really disliked that book too and it's kept me from reading any other Wally Lamb books.

This is an interesting thread. I agree with many of you and yet I disagree with many too. To each his own I guess.:)

Back