• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Anne Rice

I've read Interview which I LOVED. I couldn't get through the second book, then I tried The Witching Hour, couldn't make it past the first 200 pages. Her books are so boring.

RobertFKennedy said:
Yep. The Vampire Lestat was a fantastic piece of work. Queen of the Damned, wasn't quite so good. And things progressed downhill from there.

Vittorio the Vampire was one of the worst books I've ever read.
She has a lot of ideas and she's a good writer, she just doesn't know how to end her stories. They go on and on, and then end abruptly and unsatisfyingly.

I'm curious to see how she handles the story of Jesus' life and earthly ministry. I hope it doesn't turn out to be a throwback to the dark ages of Christian fiction! This will definately be a library read, not an "I've got to own this book" read..

For my birthday, we went to a bookstore and I browsed the half-off table. I picked up a book that had an attractive white cover. I then found out that Rice was the author and then walked away. For some reason, I'm not surprised.

what a shame.. i read on the link given earlier in this thread, that she 'was ready to do violence to my career' well.. this will do it for me!

The Mayfair Witches were my favourite Rice books, altho The Violin made it's mark also... just for the richness and intensity of her words..

so many people of talent seem to put it all aside in the name of religion... such a waste.

While it's strange to see Anne becoming a "fundie", the idea of her writing about Jesus shouldn't come as much of a shock to her fans. She's expressed interest in this project ever since Servant of the Bones came out.

With that said, I read a few pages at the bookstore. I think I'll wait until paperback; her style just didn't seem as captivating.

I read Interview with a Vampire probably soon after it came out. Loved it. But it was downhill from there IMO. Didn't like the Witch series either. Same thing over and over, and over, and over.......:rolleyes:

I ran across some other supposedly erotic books of hers written under another name from a long time ago, and no wonder she wrote under another name!! Childish, and unimaginative are the nicest things I can say about that.

Is it? I checked the bestseller lists, and it seemed to be on there for quite a while. It never reached the #1 spot but didn't leave the Top 10 until recently.

The lady that works at my local book shop mentioned this to me recently and we talked a bit about it. She mentioned that Anne's husband had passed away and thought that was the reason for the change of subject. She was going to read it and let me know.

My favorite Anne Rice book was another that was not her usual forte, the Feast of All Saints, I loved it and it had none of her usual supernatural themes.

A bit off topic, but Moto I am reading a book called Lamb, The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal by Christopher Moore. It is a humerous look at what his early years may have been like. The fellow that gave it to me said it reminded him of Tom Robbins' style.

Ronny said:
A bit off topic, but Moto I am reading a book called Lamb, The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal by Christopher Moore. It is a humerous look at what his early years may have been like. The fellow that gave it to me said it reminded him of Tom Robbins' style.

that book is fantastic. i laughed the whole time i read it.

I looked up some reviews from Doubleday, and I guess one has to try it. Some like it, some don't. Can't judge it until you've read it.

CHRIST THE LORD, Feb 17,2006 Reviewer: CATHERINE S.Remarkable!
Never read Anne Rice before. Had no interest in vampires, and all that stuff! This book drew me in with its title and upon reading it found a talented writer who backs up all the fiction with facts based on history. Quite a read. Recommend highly! And glad she has returned to the fold. Blessed be the Lord!

CHRIST THE LORD, Feb 10,2006 Reviewer: BOBBI B.Don't Bother
I realize the story is centered on Christ and not vampires, but I just can't finish this book. I found it extremely booring!

CHRIST THE LORD, Feb 3,2006 Reviewer: HARRIET S.OKAY
If you have nothing else to read and can borrow a copy, go for it!!

CHRIST THE LORD, Jan 24,2006 Reviewer: KIMBERLY K.What have you done Anne
I love Anne Rice and all of her books but this one. I just cant get too the end of this book it's so booring.What have you done Anne ?Please go back too what you do best we miss the great storys you

CHRIST THE LORD, Jan 18,2006 Reviewer: KAREN L.WONDERFUL!
This is Anne Rice at her best! I loved it! She always brings life/depth and richness no matter what the story!

CHRIST THE LORD, Dec 28,2005 Reviewer: BONNIE F.Don't Bother
The storyline had so much potential, really. But "it" just never happened. The story went no where! Sorry I bothered!

surely a mixed bag of reviews there.. i have read others, and it is the same.. maybe it made the best seller list for a while with all her fans wanting to at least give it a go.. from what i have read so far in terms of reviews, and Anne Rice interviews, she certainly has given her all... but was it enough.... wonder how a sequel will fare..

Zolipara said:
When a author/musician/etc suddenly goes religious its usually a good indication that you should avoid anything he/she does from then on.
What??? How highly evolved of you!

If Anne Rice wants to write Christian books, I'm all for it. I think that's wonderful. If someone wants to write something, I say go ahead and do it.

But what gets me is her reasoning on why she can't write the vampire books. Nowhere in the Bible does it say you cannot write novels about vampires. I'm a good Lutheran and I go to church regularly and everything, and I write about vampires. Why can't Rice be Catholic and write about vampires? That's silly.

Why can't Rice be Catholic and write about vampires? That's silly.

I agree, but do you want ten more books along the lines of Blood Canticle or The Vampire Armand? After a certain point, the series was starting to get stale. To be honest I'm glad she's done with the Vampire Chronicles.

Of course, Memnoch the Devil was supposed to be the last Chronicle and look what happened afterward. I wouldn't be surprised if she writes one more book about vampires.

I finished this book not too long ago. While I'm glad Rice finally put her vampires to rest, this new direction of hers does not result in a fine work. Or even an "okay" one. She had a knack for creating intriguing characters in her Mayfair trilogy and Vampire Chronicles but her characters in this book were so dull. I neither liked or disliked any of them. Also, the writing is repetitive and poor for the most part.

I'll still give Rice's books a chance but she has officially been relegated to the "Wait Until Paperback" list (not that I have such a list...). A shame, really, because I thought she was such a talented writer. Oh well.

Back