• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

art? what's your favorite?

Stewart said:
The problem with modern art is that it isn't worth anything yet prices do get attached to it. It's a concept, supposedly; I beg to differ - it's crap. Yet people, such as Saatchi, insist on buying it and giving reason for people to piss in a bottle, or whatever, and call it art. The major art contests are jokes - the fact that a room with a light turning itself on and off can win a big money prize is ludicrous. Tracey Emin's Bed, is another. It's literally her bed, covered in empty vodka bottles, tampons, and cigarettes; looking at the minging bitch you can't help but know it's just her bed moved from a bedroom to a studio or gallery. Crap!
Stewart, when I read this bit here I immediately thought of Ayn Rand. "Don't raze the shrines, you'll scare the people. Enshrine mediocrity and all shrines are razed."

I was first introduced to Klimt only recently - I bought a Klimt mug in Vienna, which I thought was very nice. :)

I like Van Gogh.

ds

jenngorham said:
what's on the mug?
The Kiss.
gk023.jpg

ds

Nah... It's the nice embossed stuff they had on the mug (and all the paintings around the shop, actually). All that dazzled my eyes and mind and before I knew it I had a mug in my hands. Wasn't a deliberate purchase. Really.

I wanted to go back into the shop to return it but the sight of the St Stephen's Cathedral in front of me was just too nice.

Too late now for a refund.

ds

Well, on the plane back I said to myself, "What a nice mug I have here. I'm sure glad I bought it." And proceed to stroke the mug lovingly in my arms.

ds

p.s. I used to think I like Dali, but actually I'm a little undecided. I like his ideas, but not his art. I prefer oil painting with strong colours and bold strokes. And I love fine lined watercolour works, especially common in Japanese and Chinese traditional art.

hmmm. ok then. you are a complex man with compelling and sometimes conflicting tastes. but you are obviously of superior intellect, as most blue banana's are.

ok back to the topic.

i do like japanese art quite a bit. i bought a couple of beautiful wood block prints and this really great kite which i had framed.

Would be a big list but some favs are Van Gogh, Goya, Pablo Picasso, Salvador Dali, Monet, Pissaro, Michelangelo, Edvard Munch, H R Giger... and yes I think Hurst is very good.

Last time I went to Spain ( Barcelona ) I got to see all those wonderful Antoni Gaudi Buildings! He really was a rare genius! I also got to see Pablo Picasso museum and went to Figures via train to see the Salvador Dali museum there! It's bright read and covered with bread rolls :D It was FANTASTIC! He was a great man. I think a lot of people miss his that a lot of his works are created with a big sense of humour, tongue in cheek, and a big finger to the Establishment.

Could talk a lot about this artists but better leave it there...

Of all the painters mentioned Van Gogh is by far my favourite.

jenngorham said:
you are a complex man with compelling and sometimes conflicting tastes.
Ah, and all this while I thought I was just confusing. I think I like your version better.

Actually when you think of it, doesn't Klimt's art share some characteristics with Japanese art, especially the way he draws the people?

Like: aimg162.imageshack.us_img162_2513_geisharujpeg5vl.jpg

ds

yes. and also when he paints material or cloth. both really focus on pattern and bright colours.

since we're in japanese and chinese art... i like the art from japan and Thailand better than the Chinese... Really interesting i think is the contrast to the western world... i mean not so much the motive but when you look in the background, you see nothing or just very light while in western art people try to give the background almost as much attention as the forground...

I like the architecture and i actually believe that architecture is far more compact than any ather artform (except performing art, maybe... )

(oh man i sound like i know something about art, don't let yourself be fooled...:D )

My favorite piece of art at the moment is by the british sculptor Antony Gormley.

Its 100 iron figues looking out to sea,and i am lucky enough there on the beach at the top of my road!

There very impressive to look at.:)

Stewart said:
Is that the ones that stand there as the tide comes in and, at high tide, get submerged?

Yes stewart there the ones and when the tide is in they look even better! :)

I'm not a fan of anything modern, well most anything past the last century lol

anyways two that come to mind now are Kano Motonobu and Qi Baishi

but I do love a lot of ancient art from around the world also as well as a few of the Renaissance artists

oh and since islamic, japanese, chinese and korean calligraphy is also considered art I'd add one of each I like the most: Ono no Michikaze , Wan-Joo Kang, Su Shi, and Sheikh Hamdullah

but there are waaay to many people I could add here, they are just so brilliant! :)

I looove Edvard Munch & Juan Gris! They are my favorites. But I also like Gaudi, Klimt and van Gogh.

I like Juan Gris for his graphic and painting abilities. His work has a warmth to it, that I enjoy. I have posted a photo as I know not many know Juan Gris. He was one of the 4 Cubist.

I like Edvard Munch for ALL his work! I have been to see an art exhibition and I was So taken by his work.

I adore Rodin! His sculptures are simply fantastic!

ai21.photobucket.com_albums_b299_FlowerDK_JuanGrismancafe.jpg

Back