• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Ask Me Anything ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man, I really mustn't let this one die.

I'll post answers to all the questions in the very near future - so keep those questions coming, folks!

Cheers

Back to work!

-- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
Avidreader55:

What is a glass-head?

methamphetamine.jpg

A glass-head is someone addicted to Methamphetamines. Methamphetamines are also known as speed, meth, chalk, crystal, ice and, obviously, glass.

Methamphetamine comes in many different forms and is snorted, swallowed, injected, or smoked. The smokable form is known as "ice" or "crystal," due to its appearance.

Methamphetamine is a powerful drug. It acts by changing how the brain works. It also speeds up many functions in the body. Methamphetamine has a chemical structure that is similar to another drug called amphetamine. Methamphetamine can cause lots of harmful things, including inability to sleep, paranoia, aggressiveness, and hallucinations.

Why do car manufacturers put mirrors on the passenger side which make objects closer than they actually appear?

It's not just on the passenger's side, it's both mirrors. I think this is because the mirrors are slightly curved, to enhance your view, causing the reflected image to be slightly enlarged.

Mr Michel:

The buddy list, has any practical funtion other than remind you who is your buddy?

From the vBulletin-manual:
This is a list of users you wish to identify as your Buddies ... Buddies will appear in the Users online list with a + sign following their username.
Phil:

Martin, why cant they have Broadband wherever you live, even if it is on a farm in the middle of nowhere, why, why, why!!

You must have access to electricity.

RaVeN:

How many boxes of Girl Scout cookies are sold a year?

awww.girlscouts.org_images_program_gs_cookies_cookie_history_cookiehistory_default.jpg

Can you imagine how frustrating it is, browsing through the GirlScouts-website for 30 minutes and not finding an answer?!

Ice:

Martin - what does No Yukimigata translate to?

Don't know, all I know it is a dog-kennel.

Beefcake08

Can you name all of the Wombles?

Yes.

I'll save you the effort of having to ask me to actually name them by listing them here:
  • Great Uncle Bulgaria - Womble in charge
    bulgaria.gif
  • Tobermory - Fixit womble
    tobermory.gif
  • Bungo
    bungo.gif
  • Orinoco - fattest, laziest womble
    orinoco.gif
  • Tomsk - largest Womble
    tomsk.gif
  • Wellington - smallest, shyest womble
    wellington.gif
  • Madame Cholet - chef womble
    madame-cholet.gif
How many British companies are involved in the manufacturing of ballistic weapons used by the British armed forces?

Haven't a clue.

Why are there so many "friendly-fire" or "blue on blue" incidents involving American forces wounding/killing its allies?

They're Americans. ;) Apparently, war ain't as easy as it seems.

Why is it not classed as sexist when someone proclaims to be a feminist?

Why would it be?

Serene:

No kidding!
I'm ready to fight!
I've been looking for my baby all night
If I get her in my sights...Boom! Boom! Out go the lights!

Do you think The Wiggles will ever sing that one?

Honestly?

No.

NEXT!!

Cheers

Where did the phrase "Who'da thunk it?" come from? AKA: Who woulda thunk it? Who would have thunk it?

Martin said:
I'm bored.

So ... ask me anything you want, the things you've always wondered about, and I'll do my best to answer them.

I challenge you to ask me stuff I do not know.

Let me have it!

Cheers, Martin :D

Ok, whats the IS-LM curve? :D

My work never ends.

M&O:

Where did the phrase "Who'da thunk it?" come from?

Thunk is a dialectal form of the past tense and past participle of think. In America, it is characteristic of the South and South Midland dialect areas, but it's also found in England and Ireland; Joyce uses it in Finnegans Wake. Thunk is about a hundred years old, and is formed by analogy with strong verbs such as drink, drank, drunk. As dialect, thunk could be considered nonstandard and inappropriate for formal circumstances.

Though thunk is a genuine dialectal form, it probably occurs most often in the frozen jocular expression 'Who'd a thunk it?', which is itself found as early as the 1880s.

Rafael:

What's the IS-LM curve?

This is one of the major models that is useful for explaining the nature of the aggregate demand curve. This model is called the IS-LM model after the two curves that are involved in the model. The IS curve describes equilibrium in the market for goods and services where Y = C(Y - T) + I(r) + G and the LM curve describes equilibrium in the money market where M/P = L(r,Y). The IS-LM model exists in a plane with r, the interest rate, on the vertical axis and Y, being both income and output, on the horizontal axis. The IS-LM model has the same horizontal axis as the aggregate demand curve, but a different vertical axis.

islmgraph.gif

The IS curve describes equilibrium in the market for goods and services in terms of r and Y. The IS curve is downward sloping because as the interest rate falls, investment increases, thus increasing output. The LM curve describes equilibrium in the market for money. The LM curve is upward sloping because higher income results in higher demand for money, thus resulting in higher interest rates. The intersection of the IS curve with the LM curve shows the equilibrium interest rate and price level.

The IS curve and the LM curve shift in response to economic activities. The IS curve shifts outward as a result of increased government purchases, exogenous increases in investment, decreases in taxes, and exogenous increases in consumption. The IS curve shifts inward as a result of decreases in government purchases, exogenous decreases in investment, increases in taxes, and exogenous decreases in consumption. The LM curve shifts outward as a result of increases in the money supply and decreases in the price level. The LM curve shifts inward as a result of decreases in the money supply and increases in the price level.

The aggregate demand curve can be derived using the IS-LM model. Recall that the aggregate demand curve relates price level to income and output. The simplest way to derive the downward sloping aggregate demand curve from the IS-LM model is to look at the effects of an increase in the price level on output or income.

When the price level increases, the LM curve shifts inward. An inward shift in the LM curve results in an intersection of the IS-LM model at a lower level of output and income and a higher interest rate. When a line connecting the old price level and the old output and income to the new price level and the new output and income in the price level and output and income space, the downward sloping aggregate demand curve appears. In general, from the IS-LM model, it is clear that aggregate demand slopes downward because as the price level increases, output and income decrease.

The IS-LM curve is a useful way to incorporate the money market into the logic driving the aggregate demand curve. By understanding the basics of the IS-LM model and the three reasons that the aggregate demand curve is downward sloping as presented under the previous heading, the nature of the aggregate demand curve is clear. The next step to work through is how shifts of and shifts along the aggregate demand curve function. In this capacity, the IS-LM model will become very useful.

NEXT!!

Cheers

Busy day today.

Freya:

Why are people so odd?

Wouldn't the world be a whole lot more boring if we .. erm .. they .. weren't odd?

What car shall I get?

A Mini.

NEXT!

Cheers

1 being extremely unreliable, and 58 being a Volvo, I'd say a 6.

But damn gorgeous!

NEXT!

Cheers

Freya:

Why are post-its yellow?

A post-it is actually just a see-through strip of sticky stuff. The post-its go to work every morning and they put on their uniforms - which just happen to be yellow.

NEXT!!

Cheers

Freya:

Martin, why are you such a twit?

Twit:
noun
"A very cool and amazing person, who performs heroic deeds on a daily basis."

I don't know why I am a twit, I just am.

NEXT!!

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back