• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Ask Me Anything ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Beatrycze said:
How many times in Spanish translation of "War and Peace" by Tolstoy is used the verb "hay"?

I am really happy about your knowledge of Poland's history!

as hard of believe as it may sound, the word "hay" appears only 99 times
if you were asking for all the posible conjuntions of the verb haber, thats a different matter, but if you really want to know i can check it out

i have a very important question, my husband may have sleep apnea. i know what it is and how its treated, by a breathing machine, but my question is, can there be anything elses that could help sleep apnea instead of this expensive loud machine?

Have you tried sewing a ping pong ball onto the back of his pyjama top? It'll discourage him from lying on his back, and while it won't cure the sleep apnoea it'll at least keep him on his side and belly while he's sleeping.

Hmmm, time to gather some answers again. Give me time, loyal followers, and I will enlighten you with knowledge.

Cheers

On every car (over here anyway) above each door except the driver door and the boot, there's something that looks like a handle. What's the purpose of such a contraption and why isn't one over the driver door?

I've seen people use them to hang suits and things from. Also might be useful if you are carrying a disabled passenger, they could use the handle to lever themselves out.

I'd watch out if I were you Martin - Freya's trying to take over your thread
14.gif

:D

You bunch of impatient bastards!

-- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
Ashlea:

I was trying to figure out yesterday how the moon always faces earth on the same side .. Can you find a diagram?

First, a very clear explanation:
We only ever see one side of the Moon. This is because when it formed and its inner liquids went solid, most were pulled towards Earth, making it egg-shaped, heavier on one side (the side that we can see) and therefore not able to spin freely. Instead, it spins with the Earth.

Graphic:

aimg79.exs.cx_img79_1559_ScreenHunter_006.jpg

CajunMama:

What is the English translation of the Hebrew phrase in Sapper's sig?

Well, my knowledge of the Hebrew language is none, but I can say this.

The first word means 'man', 'person', 'husband', maybe even 'soul'.
The second word means 'normal', or 'lead', or 'upright/vertical'.
The final word means 'peace', or 'well being', or something like 'farewell'.

Make of it what you want.

Idun:

Who won medals in gymnastics in horizontal bar at the Olympics in Sydney?

Gold - Alexei Nemov, Russia
Silver - Benjamin Varonian, France
Bronze - Joo Hyung Lee, Korea

Halo:

Which countries in the world today are Communist?

Could only find five:
  • China
  • Cuba
  • Laos
  • North Korea
  • Vietnam
Wabbit:

Why are we here?

We are here to repent for our sins, my son.

Where did we all come from?

Kentucky.

What's the meaning of life?

Asked and answered already - twice.

Where do we go?

Over there.

*points vaguely to the left*

And why is it that those tiny cartons in milk you get in fast food places always spill when you open them?

Because you're a clumsy git. :p

RaVeN:

What country had the first National Anthem?

"God Save the Queen" (at the time "God Save the King") was first performed in public in 1745, although some evidence suggests it may have been first performed 1740. The tune itself is likely much older than that. The interesting thing, and one of the difficulties with this question, is that it has never been officially recognized as the national anthem of the United Kingdom, either by royal decree or by act of parliament. To this day, the United Kingdom does not have an official national anthem. It is, however, the official national anthem of Liechtenstein, although with different words - theirs is called "Oben am jungen Rhein" ("High Above the Young Rhine").

The oldest national anthem to be officially declared a national anthem is "La Marseillaise". Written during the French Revolution, it which was officially recognized in 1795. Then banned by Napoleon in 1799, and again by Louis XVIII after restoring the monarchy in 1815. Then reinstated after the 1830 Revolution. Then banned again by Napoleon III in 1851. Then reinstated again in 1879. Then banned by the Vichy government in 1940. Then reinstated 1946 as part of the post-war constitution. And, just to make sure, it was again declared the national anthem in the 1958 constitution.

Are there countries without a National Anthem?

That I do not know and cannot find.

Occlith:

Each book of C. S. Lewis' Chronicles of Narnia is said to portray one of the deadly sins. Which book depicts which deadly sin?

In The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe the character Edmund Pevensie personifies gluttony.

In the second Narnian tale, Prince Caspian, Lewis emphasizes luxury (meaning sexual immorality; lust).

In The Voyage of the Dawn Treader Lewis emphasizes greed, pictured in the thoroughly obnoxious Eustace Clarence Scrubb.

The Silver Chair portrays the dangerous effects of sloth.

Pride characterizes three key characters in The Horse and His Boy.

The sixth Narnian tale, The Magician's Nephew, portrays the deadly nature of anger.

In The Last Battle Lewis displays the devastating power of envy.

Freya:

Can you purchase Krypton Factor tracksuits?

No.

And th .. th .. th .. that's all, foks!

NEXT!!

Cheers

Ice said:
Interesting order for the Narnia books (that's the order in which they were published)

I have seen debate over that. Some saying that the original published order is better and some saying the new version is better. Do you know anything about that?

I have read 2 of the books I think. I really want to, at some time, read them all :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back