• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Author of Bin Laden raid book goes into hiding.

sparkchaser

Administrator and Stuntman
Staff member
It looks like Fox News has caused the author of No Easy Day: The Firsthand Account of the Mission That Killed Osama Bin Laden to go into hiding, a la Salmon Rushdie.

Book publicist says ex-SEAL author is in hiding

Don’t look for former Navy SEAL Matt Bissonnette on the airways promoting his account of the raid on Osama bin Laden in a book that the Pentagon and special operations community wished he had never written.

Because of security concerns, Mr. Bissonnette’s appearance on CBS‘ “60 Minutes” on Sunday will be his last, book publicist Christine Ball said.

He had planned more media appearances to sell “No Easy Day,” his firsthand account of the CIA/SEAL raid that killed bin Laden in a Pakistani garrison town in May 2011.

But then Fox News reported that Mr. Bissonnette was the ex-commando behind the pen name “Mark Owen.” The author has had to go into hiding and has scratched personal appearances — at least for now.

Did any USAians here watch the 60 Minutes interview?

I ordered the book the day it was released because I wasn't sure if it would end up being pulled off the shelves because of DoD claims that it wasn't vetted.

I have no respect for the author.

My wallet is staying firmly in my pocket.

No kidding! I wouldn't even waste my local library's resources by requesting this through inter library loan. besides The Dehydrator's Bible is much more useful:whistling:

I have no respect for the author.

My wallet is staying firmly in my pocket.

No kidding! I wouldn't even waste my local library's resources by requesting this through inter library loan. besides The Dehydrator's Bible is much more useful:whistling:

Why is this? I am curious.

Is it because:

1. you feel that he violated some sort of non-existent SEAL-bro code by attempting to profit from his role in the mission?
  2. the DoD says that he violated his NDA by writing this?
  3. he is not saying what percentage of the book sales are going to charities?
  4. it's like sausage: you like it but you don't want to know how its made?
  5. or something else?

There's absolutely no reason why he shouldn't tell his story. Not even Leon Panetta says the book divulged classified information. Frankly, I wish more people would tell their wartime stories, but I understand many don't want to because they will be indicted for braggadocio.

I may or may not read the book myself, it's not a priority and my TBR list is already a mile long, (oops, I divulged the specific length of my TBR list, did I violate the BARF bro code here? Don't ban me bro!).

There's absolutely no reason why he shouldn't tell his story. Not even Leon Panetta says the book divulged classified information. Frankly, I wish more people would tell their wartime stories, but I understand many don't want to because they will be indicted for braggadocio.

Agreed.

His publisher and lawyer say that the DoD vetted the information but the DoD says otherwise. That being said, to date the DoD has said nothing about pressing charges.

I may or may not read the book myself, it's not a priority and my TBR list is already a mile long, (oops, I divulged the specific length of my TBR list, did I violate the BARF bro code here? Don't ban me bro!).

:rofl:

Panetta saying Bissonette should be punished anyway: Panetta: Navy SEAL writer should be punished

So that tears it, a government bureaucrat wants to punish someone who hasn't violated any laws. I will right here and now divulge my activities related to guarding a nuclear weapon magazine during my time spent as an elite nightwatchman in the navy.

Our destroyer had just entered the shipyard in San Diego bay for major maintenance and repairs. Prior to entering drydock, all of the ship's ammunition must be offloaded to avoid accidental blowupedness. Since the magazine for nuclear torpedoes stays locked shut for years on end, it was opened up to air out now that it was empty. One of the overweight, cigar chomping, ice cream eating chiefs says to himself in the middle of the night, "hey, that goddamb nookler magazine don't have no guard on it!" Since I was the only one on board that night with the qualifications to guard a nuclear magazine, he rousted me out of my rack at 2 AM to stand guard duty. "The frickin' thing's empty!" I protested to no avail. Ten minutes later I'm standing in the cold night with a pistol on my hip guarding an empty magazine. I did the only thing an elite magazine guarder would do in that situation. I stepped into the majestic magazine that usually housed the most deadly weapons known to man, but was currently EMPTY, unzipped my fly, and pissed all over the god damb thing.

"A harrowing account of a bored 20 something who never grew up after leaving high school!" - USA Today.

"If you miss one book this summer, make it this one!" - Washington Times.

"He violated the rebel code. Asshole!" - James Dean.

Why is this? I am curious.

Is it because:

1. you feel that he violated some sort of non-existent SEAL-bro code by attempting to profit from his role in the mission?
  2. the DoD says that he violated his NDA by writing this?
  3. he is not saying what percentage of the book sales are going to charities?
  4. it's like sausage: you like it but you don't want to know how its made?
  5. or something else?

Ans: My own surmise about what he actually did. The list is all in your words.

When all the smoke and blustering and posturing clears, then we'll see what is what -- if anyone is still interested by then.

I doubt the book will be pulled. First ammendment is in the way of that happening.

I doubt he'll be punished. His defense lawyers will be in the way of that happening (and the NYT too).

Consider Daniel Ellsworth.

Did any USAians here watch the 60 Minutes interview?
This USAian did see that episode. It's the first Bin Laden killing related information I bothered with since it happened, other than Brought to Justice which I couldn't bring myself to buy because it seemed like a coffee table book.
The interview was fascinating however. I might read that book if my library has it.

@Hugh - don't pee on the Alamo...

Ans: My own surmise about what he actually did. The list is all in your words.

What is your surmise of what he did?

When all the smoke and blustering and posturing clears, then we'll see what is what -- if anyone is still interested by then.

No worries, there will be plenty of people still interested.

I doubt the book will be pulled. First ammendment is in the way of that happening.

Ooops. Poor choice of words on my part. I meant subsequent printings edited to remove any "classified" material.

Sorry, Sparky,
I'm not going to be adding to the confusion with personal surmises.
It will go along well enough without my input.

Back