• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Bad influence of Harry Potter

First of all, books of educational value are those, which provide some informaties of the world or are examples of classic literature. It doesn't have to necessarily be non-fiction, there are many books for children who can do it and also serve as good, interesting read. For instance, in Poland in 5th grade is read "In desert and wilderness"- but giving much knowledge about history and geography.
IMO, chosing book to discuss at school, the question asked shouldn't be "What is wrong with that book?", but "What it can give".
All people form opinion about books before reading them- that's how they decide which book should they read. And parents have more things to do than read children books.

Beatrycze said:
All people form opinion about books before reading them- that's how they decide which book should they read. And parents have more things to do than read children books.

But shouldn't those opinions be based on more than faulty media hype and rumors?

I don't think that parents need to read every single thing that their kids read, but they should be familiar with some of it so that they can discuss it with them. The discussions that books engender are often more valuable than the books themselves, especially with children.

Ashlea, exactly. My daughter was thrilled when I started reading a series she was involved in and we were able to discuss these books as well. Now she wants to try reading the novels that I'm currently reading. Does it mean I'm going to read every book she decides to read? No. Does it mean I'm aware of what she's reading? Most of the time, yes. If she brought home a book that was highly controversial would I check it out? More than likely I would. Would I forbid her from reading a book because people decide it's evil and they'd rather burn it instead of read it? Get real.

Idun said:
Funny coincidence: in Polish edition, in HP part4, a ritual which is indicated as satanistic by those who regard HP as a dangerous book is described on the page 666. Is it also in British or American edition?

In the American version it is at the end of the fight between Harry and Voldemort. The golden light is coming out of the wand and souls are apparently appearing. Is this the ritual you are talking about. I have a feeling you are referring to the one a few pages back though. Would be kind of interesting if it was the same :eek:

There always seems to be something that people are outraged about, be it Pokemon, Harry Potter, etc. YES there is magic in it..Is it realistic...is it real..NO! People always seem to claim that things like this are satanic. First of all, the reason the occult is considered evil is because of Christianity and its close relatives. Well, as far as I can see it, occult worship does a lot less harm to society than christianinty does. How many religious Crusades have pagans had. How many groups of people has it forced into its religion, offering conversion or death? Not nearly as many as Christianity. Either way, all these mythologies (or religons as they like to call themselves) are too archaic and ignorant for todays world. Society has progressed, and yet people still have faith in these ancient beliefs, without a shred of evidence. That alone perplexes me.
Anyway, anyone who says Harry Potter shouldn't be allowed in school is pretty much an idiot in my book (The Big Book of Idiots, if your interested ;) )

Nice that you consider me as idiot...So probably you'll understand why I think that you are complete ignorant whose opinions deserve only a deep contempt.

Perhaps you care to offer an explaination of your opinion...Why is it bad?
Edit: found your earlier post about it not being educational.
I agree that children should read educational books, but most won't. ANyway, just because it isn't factual doesn't mean it isn't educational. Whenever you read, you are learning to read better. Besides, in todays world, most children won't read ANYTHING, much less something educational. If they are improving their reading skills, albeit with a fictional novel, why should we interfere. Its better they do that then not read at all, right?

Beatrycze said:
IMO, chosing book to discuss at school, the question asked shouldn't be "What is wrong with that book?", but "What it can give".

Harry Potter books have given millions of kids an interest in reading who had never been interested before. The books started a phenomenon I certainly never experienced as a youth. It has been mentioned that the process of reading itself is learning. I couldn't agree more, and would like to add that when you read well, you tend to speak well. Another benefit of reading! Wahoo! :D

Beatrycze said:
And parents have more things to do than read children books.
If a parent already reads, then they have time to read a children's book. They just choose the kid's book to read instead of their regular selection. Pretty simple.

I'd be remiss if I didn't point out that many adults have enjoyed the HP books.

I've never said that children (in appropriate age) shouldn't be allowed to read HP, but it's great difference allow to read and read at school, as school is an authority.
I wasn't talking about adults, who read HP because they want to, but about those who don't want. Why should they be made to do it? Wouldn't it be better for all if they rather had their "regular selection", broaden their view on world and then talked with their children about it?

Are you talking about having it available at school, which I think is right. I never said they had to have it be a mandatory book. However, even if it was, its hardly different than most of the stuff they read anyway.

And if you were referring to anything I said, I don't believe I said it was mandatory reading...it was used as a recreational read aloud and the students had an option to listen or not...they also had a choice as to which book they wished to read. I never stated making it a mandatory read nor did I say that every person who changed their mind and read HP fell immediately in love with the series...that's just silly. I would be the last person in the world to force someone to read something. But I still feel that unless that person has taken the time to check it out for his/her self, then they do not have the grounds to condemn a book as to being a satanic influence on children. Oh, pardon me, I've got to go and get my daughter off of her broomstick, she's been reading those damn Harry Potter books again.

Beatrycze said:
I wasn't talking about adults, who read HP because they want to, but about those who don't want. Why should they be made to do it? Wouldn't it be better for all if they rather had their "regular selection", broaden their view on world and then talked with their children about it?

My point was that if an adult is going to condemn a book like HP and also keep (school) children from reading it, then they should at least take the time to read the book so they know what they are talking about. You implied parents don't have the time, but this is not true if they already read. I merely mentioned that adults enjoy the book as an afterthought, that they may unexpectedly enjoy the book.

Addie Cay said:
But I still feel that unless that person has taken the time to check it out for his/her self, then they do not have the grounds to condemn a book as to being a satanic influence on children.

Exactly

Addie Cay said:
Oh, pardon me, I've got to go and get my daughter off of her broomstick, she's been reading those damn Harry Potter books again.

LoL
:D

To my mind, you don't necessarily have to read a book to know that it may have a bad influence. There are such things like synopsises, reviews, interviews with authors, etc. For example: if I read a review of a film and it was described as "extremely bloody, cruel, with nudity and swear words" , I wouldn't go to the cinema to check if it would be appropriate for my child. Partly because I wouldn't like to see such a film myself. ;) We would rather go to see a Disney cartoon.

But, Idun, I'm sure you consider the source of the review carefully. For instance, you would expect the person who reviewed the movie to have WATCHED it.

Sure I do. I just wanted to say that you don't have to read a book personally if there is someone, on whose opinion you rely on, who has already read it.

I disagree. I think to have a valid opinion about a book, you have to have read it. Otherwise you are just repeating and accepting someone else's opinion.

Halo said:
I disagree. I think to have a valid opinion about a book, you have to have read it. Otherwise you are just repeating and accepting someone else's opinion.

I agree with you, Halo. Especially if there are many conflicting opinions about the book or its contents.

I disagree.We all form opinions on books before reading them and it's our choice whether to read them or not.
You don't complain about parents letting their children read HP even if they didn't read the books, do you?

True, but then you you force your opinions on your children who may have different likes or dislikes than you do. Let them make up their own mind.

Beatrycze said:
I disagree.We all form opinions on books before reading them and it's our choice whether to read them or not.
You don't complain about parents letting their children read HP even if they didn't read the books, do you?

To your first point, yes, but you couldn't really call it a true or informed opinion, could you? For example, you read the blurb or the review and think "that sounds great/rubbish", but it's not until you have actually read the book that you can really state your opinion. You might have thought before reading it that it would be excellent/rubbish, but then have completely changed your mind once you'd read it. So, what I am not-very-clearly saying, is that your first feeling is just that; a feeling, or gut reaction or even a guess about what the book is like. You can only form a true opinion once you have read it.

As for your second point ... good point! The only thing I can say is that in this modern world, where a lawsuit can be just around the corner, a publisher is not going to go ahead and print anything too bad. They are very careful with what they will publish, especially with children's books, so anything racist, sexist or any other -ist will be weeded out pretty damn quickly and not published in the first place.

Back