• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Banned books

That's actually banned here in Holland, it's only available in some libraries where it may be used for research purposes by students and/or scholars. Can't take it home with you from the library though.

Want me to smuggle you a copy?

That's actually banned here in Holland, it's only available in some libraries where it may be used for research purposes by students and/or scholars. Can't take it home with you from the library though.

Wow. I've never heard of anything like that. O.O

That's fascinating.

Banning books in Holland? wow, I remember taking walks in Rotterdam and seeing little shops with all kinds of....

and we "looked " at window shoping....the operative word here "looking and not buying;)

Banning books in Holland? wow, I remember taking walks in Rotterdam and seeing little shops with all kinds of....

and we "looked " at window shoping....the operative word here "looking and not buying;)

Ahaaaaa that kind of window shopping. And those shops are everywhere here, though the government is going to ban the mushrooms.

And as far as I know Mein Kampf is banned here in order to prevent people from getting the same ideas as HItler after reading the book. I don't think it should be banned but it would take one very brave politician to unban it since a lot of people get very upset when people mention unbanning it.:confused:

As you see not everything is legal in Holland.

Ooo can't edit my post anymore, anyways. The Dutch government has banned the book from being reprinted, owning it or getting it in the library however, is not illegal.

Here are some more interesting books that have been banned:

* Alice's Adventures In Wonderland - Lewis Carroll - Banned in China in 1931 as it depicted animals & humans on the same level

* Brave New World - Aldous Huxley - This was one of the worlds most frequently banned books in literary history.

* Gone with the Wind - Margaret Mitchell - Banned in the late '70's and early 80's for use of racially insensive wording!

Lol! I'm sure there is a silly reason to ban almost any book.

The most common reason for banning a book seems to be "I don't like it, so you have to not like it as well."

Is it because it is easier to hurt than to help? By this I mean, rather than take the time and effort to understand and discuss other points of view it is easier to shut them down and deny them.

In 1986, Graves County, Kentucky, the school board banned this book about a poor white family in the midst of crisis, from its high school English reading list because of 7 passages which made reference to God or abortion and used curse words such as "bastard," "goddam," and "son of a bitch." None of the board members had actually read the book.
My emphasis above.

In all good conscience, how can anyone ban something they've never read.

Additionally, does the school board think high school students have never heard (or used) those curse words? Who do they think they're protecting? It's baffling.

From what I've read, banning without first reading a book is standard proceedure from the Pope right on down to your local school board.

I can respect people that want to protect their children, but I agree that it doesn't make sense to ban a book for material that children are exposed to on the school bus.

Aside from the Necronomicon, is there ever really, truly a good reason for banning a book?

Maybe if it's a how-to book about creating deadly microorganisms or nuclear devices or something. I know there are controversies about publishing certain scientific papers that might give enough detail in their Experimental Procedures sections for terrorists and criminals to use to create some really dangerous things.

Maybe if it's a how-to book about creating deadly microorganisms or nuclear devices or something. I know there are controversies about publishing certain scientific papers that might give enough detail in their Experimental Procedures sections for terrorists and criminals to use to create some really dangerous things.

I don't know if I buy that. I own a copy of The Los Alamos Primer: The First Lectures on How To Build an Atomic Bomb and it pretty much lives up to its name. Fortunately it takes millions upon millions of dollars of specialized equipment to produce a fission bomb. The same could be said for creating a deadly virus. Anyone with a large enough bankroll to finance either project would find it far more cost effective to bypass the R&D and manufacturing and just buy the product on the black market.

Another banned book

The Satanic Verses by Salman Rushdie.

Banned in Pakistan, Saudi Arabia, Egypt, Somalia, Sudan, Malaysia, Qatar, Indonesia, South Africa, and India due to its criticism of Islam. Burned in West Yorkshire, England (1989) and temporarily withdrawn from two bookstores on the advice of police.

Five people died in riots against the book in Pakistan. Another man died a day later in Kashmir. Ayatollah Khomeini issued a fatwa, or religious edict, stating. "I inform the proud Muslim people of the world that the author of the Satanic Verses, which is against Islam, the prophet, and the Koran, and all those involved in its publication who were aware of its content, have been sentenced to death."

Challenged at the Wichita, Kans. Public Library (1989) because it is "blasphemous to the prophet Mohammed."

Now that's what I call a "problematic" book :lol:

The Satanic Verses by Salman Rushdie. (...)

Now that's what I call a "problematic" book

Really? I call it one of the best and most unfairly maligned novels I've ever read. What did you think of it?

(Also, the text you c&p-ed there made me laugh. Death sentences, schmeath sentences; it was CHALLENGED AT A PUBLIC LIBRARY IN KANSAS! Take THAT, Rushdie!) :lol:

Really? I call it one of the best and most unfairly maligned novels I've ever read. What did you think of it?

(Also, the text you c&p-ed there made me laugh. Death sentences, schmeath sentences; it was CHALLENGED AT A PUBLIC LIBRARY IN KANSAS! Take THAT, Rushdie!) :lol:

Mr. "I think that I`m a GOD". What is with this bull***? It is a banned book in some places, and I have not wrote that it's a crap or something like that. You are bored or wtf?!? Go chill and talk mature and not offencing. You don't like something don't read. Jeez :banghead6mx:

You said the book was problematic. It isn't; the problem is with idiots who would sentence someone to death for a work of fiction. The book in itself is not a problem. Don't blame the victim.

And putting "the author was sentenced to death" and "the book was challenged in Wichita" in the same post as if the two were in any way remotely comparable is a bit ridiculous, really. You'll note that I laughed not at you but at whoever wrote the bit you copied and pasted.

And from what I can tell, it's you who haven't read the book.

/God

Really? Is that something you found bg, or are you quoting m00nc0w? Just curious since I'm here in the Sunflower State...I just looked at our ILL site and there are 92 holdings for Satanic Verses..

Ooops! Now I see what I'd overlooked! Wichita does have a large Islamic community...which in no way means they should be able to get the book banned
Anyway, one thing I look at is who is challenging the book and why...even if its my own pastor telling my 'Don't read ____" I'd probably want to read it for myself to see what the commotion is about.

Really? Is that something you found bg, or are you quoting m00nc0w?
m00nc0w said:
Challenged at the Wichita, Kans. Public Library (1989) because it is "blasphemous to the prophet Mohammed."
And of course, you're absolutely right. The only person who should be allowed to tell you what you can and cannot read is yourself.

And of course, you're absolutely right. The only person who should be allowed to tell you what you can and cannot read is yourself.

That's right. If the work or author is faulty somehow, that will become evident as one reads. The more some group rants and raves, the more the thinking reader has to ask, "what's the big deal?"

Back