• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Besides Reading what other hobbies do you have????

I am an athlete. I'm going to run a marathon every year for as long as possible I think. Going to try to do a different one every year. Gives me a reason for a vacation, eh?

I also enjoy disc golf, but I prefer the term FROLF (frisbee golf). Mainly because frolf is just a fun word to say (frolf off!). I enjoy ultimate a lot also.

Rock-climbing, biking, hiking, kayaking, canoeing, cross-country skiing, etc. Anything that requires the body to be active and athletic. I'm a bit of an adrenaline junky.

Also, mall in minnesota is called the Mall of America. It's right next to MSP (airport). You can get a tram there from the airport. It's a fun place. I live near there. I can never think of anything to buy in the entire mall though. I'm a rejected consumer.

No I'm in the UK. We do have a Legoland however, but I've never been.

Legoland ROCKS! I think I'm due for another visit this year. Admittedly it's not quite Alton Towers, but there are only a few things you're not allowed on if you're over two feet tall. I went when Lego Racers was just out and they had one 'ride' that was you competing against other people in the game, and they had special chairs with pedals and steering wheels. I was on the last lap before I realised the reason I was doing so badly was because I was so tightly wedged into the chair that I'd had my foot on the break the whole time. They didn't quite have the one size fits all driving seat worked out. But my bf came first and had no qualms about shouting 'IN YOUR FACE!' to a room full of five year olds.

Anyway. Hobbies. Knitting, crochet, spinning, sewing, pillaging, caking, monkeys and just generally being great.

I am an athlete. I'm going to run a marathon every year for as long as possible I think. Going to try to do a different one every year. Gives me a reason for a vacation, eh?

I also enjoy disc golf, but I prefer the term FROLF (frisbee golf). Mainly because frolf is just a fun word to say (frolf off!). I enjoy ultimate a lot also.

Rock-climbing, biking, hiking, kayaking, canoeing, cross-country skiing, etc. Anything that requires the body to be active and athletic. I'm a bit of an adrenaline junky.

Also, mall in minnesota is called the Mall of America. It's right next to MSP (airport). You can get a tram there from the airport. It's a fun place. I live near there. I can never think of anything to buy in the entire mall though. I'm a rejected consumer.

Funny. Every time I go to MSP, I make it a point NOT to go to the Mall of America.

BTW, I am planning a week long canoe trip. Any thoughts on some good ways to get my arms and upper body ready for 12 hours of paddling a day?

Wanna get your ARMS in shape for canoeing? Well, as a canoeing expert, I can tell you a number of things.
Work on your back a lot. A lot of your power for turning comes from your core (abs and lower back).
Work on your shoulders. These are good for the normal slow paddling. You usually paddle with one arm higher than the other and then use that arm to sorta push top of the paddle while pulling with the other. You also need strong shoulders for carrying the canoe.

Mostly though, just do basic things. Push-ups, pull-ups, abs, and back. That should be good enough. It depends on how expereinced of a paddler you are. If you need to work on your shoulders a lot, do decline push-ups (put your feet up on the bed and do push-ups). It helps a lot. Or, you could just do hand-stand push-ups if you have the ability for that. Those rock your shoulders a lot.

That's all I would suggest. Remember to use mainly power from your center.

Good one Litany!
2n8vuyr.jpg

I don't get it. What does a kayaker have to do with a canoeist disappearing?
You'd think that the BBC news could at least tell the difference between a kayak and a canoe. It's tragic how the UKists decimate the english language.

Wanna get your ARMS in shape for canoeing? Well, as a canoeing expert, I can tell you a number of things.
Work on your back a lot. A lot of your power for turning comes from your core (abs and lower back).
Work on your shoulders. These are good for the normal slow paddling. You usually paddle with one arm higher than the other and then use that arm to sorta push top of the paddle while pulling with the other. You also need strong shoulders for carrying the canoe.

Mostly though, just do basic things. Push-ups, pull-ups, abs, and back. That should be good enough. It depends on how expereinced of a paddler you are. If you need to work on your shoulders a lot, do decline push-ups (put your feet up on the bed and do push-ups). It helps a lot. Or, you could just do hand-stand push-ups if you have the ability for that. Those rock your shoulders a lot.

That's all I would suggest. Remember to use mainly power from your center.

Thanks. Now I just need to get the OK from my physical therapist.

What kind of canoeing experience do you have? How long is the trip? Where in Panama are you going?

Seriously though, where are you going?

Does anyone else have any outdoor hobbies? Sparkchaser has offered to take anyone on the board with him. Who's in?

What kind of canoeing experience do you have? How long is the trip? Where in Panama are you going?

Seriously though, where are you going?

Does anyone else have any outdoor hobbies? Sparkchaser has offered to take anyone on the board with him. Who's in?

I haven't canoed in close to 7 years so for all intents and purposes, I have 0 experience. I talked to my friend who is a physical therapist assistant and she gave me some good tips in addition to what you gave me.

Trip is about 360 miles. I hope I can cover it in the 7 days I have allotted.

Where am I going? It's a secret. ai5.photobucket.com_albums_y187_sparkchaser1998_smileys_devillook.gif

Back