• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Best book to movie?

justgoofin

Generally horror books do not translate well into movies. A few of my favorites are: "Silver Bullet" by Steven King, the book I believe was "Cycle of the werewolf", and "The Relic" which is by Douglas and Preston. I am most likely biased since I like books and movies involving some sort of creature; mainly werewolves, but the most profitable and sucessfull horror book to movie conversion is probably "Jaws" by Peter Benchley. I'd be interested to know which ones you think translate halfway decently into movies. :)

I liked the translations of Barkers books: T'he Hellbound Heart' filmed as 'Hellraiser' and 'Cabal' filmed as 'Nightbreed'. Most other times I prefer to read the book than see the film.

I never read 'The Green Mile' or 'Shawshank Redemption', but these movies were critically aclaimed, and I confess that they are on my all time favourite movies list. How did the films compare to the books in these cases?

Kookamoor said:
I never read 'The Green Mile' or 'Shawshank Redemption', but these movies were critically aclaimed, and I confess that they are on my all time favourite movies list. How did the films compare to the books in these cases?
I also love both these movies - The Shawshank Redemption is one of my all time favourites, and I have liked it even more once we studied it this year in English. I never actually realised how complex it was.

I've read about halfway through The Green Mile (my school library had the book in a series and only had half of them :mad: ) and I think the only major ways in which it is different is thatthe story is told all muddled up. Also, the guy who had Mr Jingles (I've forgotten his name :eek: ) /always/ used to feed him peppermints. I did read it when I was about 10 or 11 though, my memory is a little sketchy.

From what I have heard about the novella Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption, I get the impression that it was a bit darker than the movie? I know that Brooks had a very small part in the novella, which they extended considerably in the movie. I believe the story is contained in 'Different Seasons'.

For me it would be...

Stephen King's Interview with a Vampire and The Queen of the Damned. I love both movies. Although the movie version The Queen... has a different ending. actually, most novels turned into movie usually have different ending. :p

Stewart said:
Saying that, I enjoyed Anne Rice's Cujo and The Shining. :rolleyes:

Which The Shining did you like? The Kubrick original? Or the King produced mini-series? I've never read any of his books, but I can't help but like Kubrick's movie.

Stewart said:
I wasn't really saying I liked it though. ;)

That's too bad. I thought it was fun and creepy, Jack Nicholson plays crazy just a little too well...

The other version was way too cute and "made for TV", although supposedly very close to the actual book.

Shaun said:
IMO, Misery was nowhere near as good as the book, which was a lot darker.
Agreed. The humour was also darker in the book.

Kubrick's adaptation of The Shining is a great horror flick but the second adaptation has more complex characters and a richer plot. The results are still not much to hang in the christmas tree.

I'm quite fond of the original adaptation of The Ring. I miss one of the main characters in the book that was amusingly provoking but on the overall I think that things were better in the movie.

I'm not sure if Cronenberg's adaptation of Spider is consider a horror movie but it's a very nice one anyway. Great acting performances.

Cronenberg's of Stephen King's novel Dead Zone was nice but still not very spectacular as I remember it. I haven't read the book however so I can't compare them.

Wolhay said:
I'm not sure if Cronenberg's adaptation of Spider is consider a horror movie but it's a very nice one anyway. Great acting performances.

I wouldn't class it as horror, but you're right - it is a good film.

I'd say the Hunt for Red October. Absolutely loved Sean Connery as the commander of the Soviet sub. :D

Best book to t.v. would be TNT's rendition of Animal Farm-had nightmares of plotting pigs ever afterwards. ;)

SFG75 said:
I'd say the Hunt for Red October. Absolutely loved Sean Connery as the commander of the Soviet sub.

Best book to t.v. would be TNT's rendition of Animal Farm-had nightmares of plotting pigs ever afterwards.

And what do either have to do with horror?

Back