• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Best Horror of the past decade?

I read most of the King titles, Heart-Shaped Box, The Lovely Bones, and The Traveling Vampire Show.

Has anyone read Edward Lee? I keep forgetting to try one of his books.

Nice to see Let The Right One In make the list.

So if I've never read any novels by Laymon, where do I start?

So if I've never read any novels by Laymon, where do I start?
The Traveling Vampire Show is one of his better ones. Most of his other stuff is the literary equivalent of slasher movies, horny protags being chased by knife-wielding lunatics.

Has anyone read Edward Lee? I keep forgetting to try one of his books.
Most of his books have a b movie feel, with over the top sex and violence to the point that it's almost comical. Flesh Gothic, The Black Train, City Infernal, and Succubi are my faves of his.

There's quite a bit of stuff on their list that I wouldn't even classify as horror: The Night Class, The Lost, The Road, The Lovely Bones, The Descent.

i really liked The Ruins. Never saw the movie though. Other than that i only read The Road and Let The Right One In. Which was awesome and so was the movie....It's to bad they are remaking an american one....The first was almost perfect.

What I've read:
  • DT by King (this is horror?) :star5:
  • some of House of Leaves by Danielewski (yeeeeeeears ago)
  • Heart Shaped Box by Hill :star4: -- the beginning kinda freaked me out.

I was also surprised to see Lisey's Story on there. It struck me as more of a fantasy/supernatural novel than pure horror. I also didn't like it but that's besides the point ;). I also wouldn't have put The Lovely Bones and The Road on there as those books weren't meant to scare the reader, even though they may contain elements of the genre.

Lisey's Story

I was also surprised to see Lisey's Story on there. It struck me as more of a fantasy/supernatural novel than pure horror. I also didn't like it but that's besides the point ;).
I bought a nice hardcover of that for half the price. I was excited because at that time I felt like I was overdue for a King novel. And I was sooo disappointed. I couldn't get past the first couple o' chapters... I tried to twice. Couldn't do it.

People have a weird idea of what horror is.

Just because King is a horror writer, doesn't mean all his novels fall under the horror genre.

I bought a nice hardcover of that for half the price. I was excited because at that time I felt like I was overdue for a King novel. And I was sooo disappointed. I couldn't get past the first couple o' chapters... I tried to twice. Couldn't do it.

People have a weird idea of what horror is.

Just because King is a horror writer, doesn't mean all his novels fall under the horror genre.

Yea I wasn't to impressed with Lisey's Story. At times it was a struggle to keep reading and I wouldn't have classified it as a Horror book

I since have read Duma Key by SK and thought this to be horror and vintage King. Great book!!!

I think I'll use that as a good reading list. I've only read one of the books the list ("American Gods", which I didn't really think of as "horror").

I have read one Richard Laymon book in the last few years. I loathed it (not for the horror, for the complete lack of a story). So I'm not sure I want to try him again.

I've read a number of King books, just none of the ones they list. "Under the Dome" seems to be getting a lot of attention.

-David

I've read two from the list, Let The Right One In and The Lovely Bones. I'm quite surprised to see the latter in a list of horror. I'd say it's more supernatural thriller. I didn't think King's Dark Tower series was horror either. Or American Gods. Though I have to admit I've not read either.

But some interesting ideas for future reading.

Read a couple in that list of 25.
Noticed some Dan Simmons on that list. This is an author I am not familiar with but some friends of mine recommended I read some of his work. The TBR pile just keeps getting bigger.

Read three from the first list, two not horror (Road, Gods) leaving just one (House of Leaves), if that was horror. Also one I refused to read (Bones), despite acclaim.
I guess that confirms it; I don't read horror. :cool:

A lot of fascinating covers and titles, though. :)

Of the first list I've read The Road and American Gods, but don't consider them "horror". Maybe post-apocalyptic is considered to be a sub-genre of horror??
I'd consider The Road post-apocalyptic, and American Gods a sort of urban fantasy, as mentioned above, but something more, at the least a mythological riff.

I have the Dark Tower, Drood and House of Leaves in the stack to read, but the other titles did seem more horror to me, and not for me.

Back