• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Bill O'Reilly; The No Spin Zone

Do not mistake Bill O'Reily for being a journalist! He's a conniving, double-dealing, hypocritical, hyperbolic, and amazingly untalented television "personality". Thats what most news has become in the US. Just an hour full of someone like Anderson Cooper telling you how HE feels about the situation in Darfur and showing pictures of himself in a refugee camp. Bill O'Reilly is a just an extreme example of the narcissim of American journalism. It is quite frankly disqusting! I think Christiane Amanpour may be the closest we get to having a real bona fide journalist in this country.

I've been waiting to read Culture Warrior for some time now, it's quite popular as every time I reach the library, it's checked out. I would buy it, but I've already caused Amazon to experiencea 5% increase in profits this quarter.:D I don't agree with O'Reilly most of the time as I'm very liberal, but I do love his dogged arguing style and combativeness. I listen to him just about every day on SIRIUS radio after Lou Dobbs on CNN. :)

I liked it when he had to pay a female coworker a ton of hush money so she wouldn't release tapes of him talking dirty to her on the phone. Bill's all about God and the family.:rolleyes:

Do not mistake Bill O'Reily for being a journalist! He's a conniving, double-dealing, hypocritical, hyperbolic, and amazingly untalented television "personality". Thats what most news has become in the US. Just an hour full of someone like Anderson Cooper telling you how HE feels about the situation in Darfur and showing pictures of himself in a refugee camp. Bill O'Reilly is a just an extreme example of the narcissim of American journalism. It is quite frankly disqusting!

This is basically how I feel about O'Reilly and the media. I can't watch him for more than two seconds. The interviews go nowhere, and it usually turns into him just gettins upset. His style is that of a hell and brimstone preacher, which I hate. Somewhere on youtube.com there is a clip of David Letterman putting him in his place by letting Bill know that all questions are not yes or no even if you phrase them in such a way. When Bill says, "It's a simple question." Letterman responds, "It's not for me. I'm not a simpleton" or something similar.

I've sworn off political books. It's just somebody trying to sell you something using half-truths which are more dangerous than lies.

I wonder if it just grinds his gears that he's second to Obama in non-fiction sales.:D

From the drudge report website.
FLASH: OBAMA STAYS #1 BOOK IN NATION NEXT WEEK, PUBLISHING SOURCES TELL DRUDGE... 'HOPE' SCANS 101,009 FOR WEEK, WITH 502,594 TOTAL SINCE RELEASE, EASILY TAKING GRISHAM'S 86,009 [703,887]... BILL O'REILLY SCORES 54,861 WITH 'WARRIOR' [412,949 TOTAL]... JIMMY CARTER 'PALESTINE' IN 4TH PLACE AT 47,774 [116,250]... DEVELOPING...

While I agree with him about 5% of the time, I am hooked on watching his show.

That statement is very similar to my feelings about him and talk radio in general. The only difference being I am not hooked on his show, but I do feel compelled to turn it by there every now and then and marvel at his sleaze. Fox News has really become a tabloid and what was once anger I felt towards that network has morphed into embarassment (for them) and indifference towards the rest of mainstream American news media.

As for talk radio I have always been a fan of the medium despite its strict right-wing domination. I often turn it to the AM stations when I am driving around town hoping to hear an interesting conversation and I am almost always let down. The law of diminishing returns as applied to talk radio I guess. Nearly every single talk show host on the radio operates from the political margins. A place where very few people identify themselves as being.

I have seen a couple of his shows but he only seems to invite guests to yell at them and call them names(unless they agree with Bill ofcourse). Reminds me a lot of Jerry Springer, and seem to have about the same amount of substance.

heh i just saw that video yesterday...it seems to have no reason for the insanity . but made me laugh pretty good....maybe he really dislikes STING

Back