• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Books make you strange and lonely...

honeydevil

A couple days ago, one of my friends tells me that books make you weird and lonely...
what are the dumbest phrases people told you about your addiction to books?

I have had the following said to me:

Books are for students.

Books are for geeks and nerds.

Reading's boring and films are better because they're more straight forward.

If you've read one book you've read them all.

Books are for women.

"You have too many books"-this from my mil who has a Master's in education and spent a billion years teaching third grade..

Which leads us to the question: What makes some of us into such (dedicated doesn't even begin to say it so I'll use the word addicted instead), readers? I think I was hooked at about the age of four or five, and there were no other real readers in my family -- it may have been just plain luck that I got my hands on a book at all at that age .

My kids didn't acquire the compulsion from me, although I did read to them from infancy. But I do have this one granddaughter who will read beneath the covers after lights out ...

You can usually tell -- it's the stealth readers that are the ones who have caught the bug.

I was hooked on reading from a very early age thanks to my nan!

But i always get told i have to many book! (you can never have to many in my opinion)

People say i am weird as well!

But while reading you will never be a lonely person! :)

I think this compulsion to read is a direct result of having a curious nature. Not curious in the sense of being wierd..but having a deep desire, a need even, to know more. We tend to want to know why things are the way they are, why people behave as they do, and what effect all this has on the world around us. So, maybe all these books we read DO make us different from the nonreading folk. I think we're richer for the experience.

We're addicted, strangely lonely and weird people, but in a curiously good way.

That explains a lot. :D

abecedarian said:
.. a deep desire, a need even, to know more. We tend to want to know why things are the way they are, why people behave as they do, and what effect all this has on the world around us. So, maybe all these books we read DO make us different from the nonreading folk. I think we're richer for the experience.
ABC
I don't think I have seen it put so well in so few words. That's why I read. Plus escape and entertainment as well.
Peder

Peder said:
ABC
I don't think I have seen it put so well in so few words. That's why I read. Plus escape and entertainment as well.
Peder

Yes. What abecedarian said -- and what you said too, Peder.

Some of us are born wanting to know, but there are also people who believe they already know quite enough as it is.

There are even people who don't want to be confused by any more facts.

:D

ive never had people say negative things about me reading alot, but the most i hear from people are, i dont know how you can read, dont you have anything better to do, i fall asleep if i try to read, and the one that really makes me wonder is when people say thay dont have time to read. everyone can make time to read if they wanted. ive read many books 15 or 20 minutes at a time in the past.

liktareadmore63 said:
ive never had people say negative things about me reading alot, but the most i hear from people are, i dont know how you can read, dont you have anything better to do, i fall asleep if i try to read, and the one that really makes me wonder is when people say thay dont have time to read. everyone can make time to read if they wanted. ive read many books 15 or 20 minutes at a time in the past.

It sounds like the naysayers are trying to excuse themselves for their lack of interest in the printed page by making readers feel bad. I guess that is just human nature peeking out from behind the masks we all wear.

"We don't have enough room for all your stuff in the truck, you're going to have to throw some of those books away". - said by a loser ex of my mother's who came VERY close to being left behind himself!

mehastings said:
"We don't have enough room for all your stuff in the truck, you're going to have to throw some of those books away". - said by a loser ex of my mother's who came VERY close to being left behind himself!

:D As I was reading this, the phrase, "You and whose army!" popped into my head. I'd love to know how you handled this bozo!

abecedarian said:
:D As I was reading this, the phrase, "You and whose army!" popped into my head. I'd love to know how you handled this bozo!

I said some nasty words, told him I had wanted to get a moving van instead of some run-down redneck pickup truck, and REFUSED to leave any of my stuff behind. I told him he could take the money we "saved" on a moving van and buy his large self a bus ticket home if we were that strapped for space. Unsurprisingly, space was found and all of my books were liberated from the dorm. Then, my mom dumped him the next week for being such a know-it-all jerk.

I have heard many stange comments and jibes about my reading habbits, such as a person who would always shout "Hunter S. Thompson" at me when I passed (don't ask me why) and an annoying little boy who asks me "can I borrow your dictionary" (he would then promptly remove the book from my pocket and run off, strange kid) but the most stupid thing anyone has ever said to me was this:

"I feel sorry for you, that you are addicted to reading"

My only response was to laugh. this came from someone who would drink excessively every night on the edge of a peir (thats just dumb) - so I say there are much, much worse things to be addicted to.

Back