• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Books make you strange and lonely...

KristoCat said:
Humph. Kook and Cajunmama, you girls need to tell your guys to shape up... how would they like it if you gave them crap about their interests/hobbies??
I'm holding out hope that once he's done with his studies he'll come around and pick up the occasional book. In the mean time I enjoy reading while he's playing his video games - it's a compromise of sorts :rolleyes: .

Thanks hd! For Easter? No idea. Maybe some bunny ears? :D I lose my Photoshop in a few weeks so I'll be relying on other people to dress my penguin. Leckert designed my jacket here, and after christmas I've got some other duds for the rest of winter. I have an *awesome* version of this avatar, but I can't seem to get a .gif to upload. It tells me "you cannot upload an animation". I've asked Darren about it, but no luck with a solution yet. I think one of the preferences may have changed with the vBulletin update.

abecedarian said:
It sounds like the naysayers are trying to excuse themselves for their lack of interest in the printed page by making readers feel bad. I guess that is just human nature peeking out from behind the masks we all wear.

I think there are situations when people really cannot find time to read. For example, if I used my own car to drive to work and back, I wouldn't have a spare minute on my working days, and I am engaged in toooo many activities on my weekends to have enough time for reading books. I usually read on weekends, but almost exclusively construction, interior design and gardening magazines.

Sergo said:
I think there are situations when people really cannot find time to read. For example, if I used my own car to drive to work and back, I wouldn't have a spare minute on my working days, and I am engaged in toooo many activities on my weekends to have enough time for reading books. I usually read on weekends, but almost exclusively construction, interior design and gardening magazines.

Your are probably right, but as busy as you are( I've seen some of your other posts!) you don't just FIND time, you GRAB time to read. Some would use the public transit time to nap or knit, or whatever. I've alway heard that we find time for whatever is most important to us, and this is one example.

abecedarian said:
Your are probably right, but as busy as you are( I've seen some of your other posts!) you don't just FIND time, you GRAB time to read. Some would use the public transit time to nap or knit, or whatever. I've alway heard that we find time for whatever is most important to us, and this is one example.

Of course - one always choose what seems to be best for him/her, and adjusts one's life in order to have that...
And almost always the choice is wrong...
:D

Sergo said:
Of course - one always choose what seems to be best for him/her, and adjusts one's life in order to have that...
And almost always the choice is wrong...
:D

That's because we're all just muddling along as best we can..which is one reason we read:)

Lets face it, there are days in which you don't want to read. If I'm really stressed or have a lot on my mind, I won't read high-brow material, or at least, I won't read it for a long amount of time, since I know that in my agitated state, I won't be able to devote my full concentration to the work at hand. When that happens, time to plop down and crack out the CD player.

SFG75 said:
Lets face it, there are days in which you don't want to read. If I'm really stressed or have a lot on my mind, I won't read high-brow material, or at least, I won't read it for a long amount of time, since I know that in my agitated state, I won't be able to devote my full concentration to the work at hand. When that happens, time to plop down and crack out the CD player.

...pet the dog, wash the car, watch a movie, hang out with the family...funny isn't it, how even the most avid reader sometimes needs a break?

abecedarian said:
That's because we're all just muddling along as best we can..which is one reason we read:)

Yes. A favourite tutor of mine used to say that we write stories to try to make sense of the world around us and our place in it. I think it's the same with reading. Well, it is for me, at least.

CDA said:
Yes. A favourite tutor of mine used to say that we write stories to try to make sense of the world around us and our place in it. I think it's the same with reading. Well, it is for me, at least.

yeah, we readers are accused of being know-it-alls, when if we're honest, we read because we know we don't know much at all.

Oh my! I figured you guys would get a kick out of this... A friend of mine just called me and asked what I was doing. I told him that I was reading. He said "There's something wrong with you." And then went on to tell me that the only time it's good to read is when you're sitting on the toilet. I just laughed at him and told him that there ARE other times you can read, too, and that there's nothing wrong with me just because I like to read. Geesh! Some people!

Pho-tog said:
Oh my! I figured you guys would get a kick out of this... A friend of mine just called me and asked what I was doing. I told him that I was reading. He said "There's something wrong with you." And then went on to tell me that the only time it's good to read is when you're sitting on the toilet. I just laughed at him and told him that there ARE other times you can read, too, and that there's nothing wrong with me just because I like to read. Geesh! Some people!

Oh well, normal is just a setting on the dryer anyway, and this friend doesn't know what he's missing!

Pho-tog said:

LOL-Funny comment, though I guess reading is becoming an odd thing to do in this age of instant-messaging, fast-food, "have it now" culture that trains us to engage in a pace of life that if you fall into it enough, makes things like reading look sloooooooooooow and dreary.

I've actually only just properly noticed the name of this thread. And well, I've always been strange and lonely...

I get told I have too many books, even by readers. They should understand...

I was telling my mum the other day about presents I'd bought/was buying for my children for Christmas. I said "...and thirty pounds each on books". She replied with "That's far too much to spend on books". Not really, when my children love books. They will still get toys too, but will inevitably lose interest in their toys eventually, whereas with the books they may not. I barely remember any childhood toys (other than a shiny new red bike and a nurses uniform) from my childhood, but I do remember many books from the same age.

I have been told before "you've read one, you've read them all".

steffee said:
I was telling my mum the other day about presents I'd bought/was buying for my children for Christmas. I said "...and thirty pounds each on books". She replied with "That's far too much to spend on books". Not really, when my children love books.

Good for you for getting your kids books for Christmas!!! I've been telling people to get them for my kids, too, when they ask what to get them!!

We had a Christmas party today at my mother in law's and my sister in law gave me a gift certificate to Barnes and Noble and I spent it already (online) and then some!! I'm sooo excited! It came with a g.c. for the hubby to a sporting goods store and a restaurant g.c. as well, with babysitting included... I figured the hubby wouldn't wanna go with me to pick out books. AND there's no way I'd be able to wait that long, so I bought my books tonight! :)

Pho-tog said:
We had a Christmas party today at my mother in law's and my sister in law gave me a gift certificate to Barnes and Noble and I spent it already (online) and then some!! I'm sooo excited! It came with a g.c. for the hubby to a sporting goods store and a restaurant g.c. as well, with babysitting included... I figured the hubby wouldn't wanna go with me to pick out books. AND there's no way I'd be able to wait that long, so I bought my books tonight! :)

He he, that would be me too. I am terrible for buying books online, I see all these fantastic offers and just can't resist. Your SIL sounds great!

Back