• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Books make you strange and lonely...

Fistandantilus said:
I have heard many stange comments and jibes about my reading habbits, such as a person who would always shout "Hunter S. Thompson" at me when I passed (don't ask me why) and an annoying little boy who asks me "can I borrow your dictionary" (he would then promptly remove the book from my pocket and run off, strange kid) but the most stupid thing anyone has ever said to me was this:

"I feel sorry for you, that you are addicted to reading"

My only response was to laugh. this came from someone who would drink excessively every night on the edge of a peir (thats just dumb) - so I say there are much, much worse things to be addicted to.

Yeah, I don't know about the rest of you guys, but I've never heard of someone going on a 3-day reading binge and drowning themselves in a large body of water, or going on a rampage and shooting up a school because of word-induced hallucinations..;) Now I HAVE experienced first-hand the painfull withdrawl symptoms when a reader rabbit runs out of books:D

Interesting stories about catching hell from others. Though to be honest, I give more than take(i.e.-trouble) when I hear someone "doesn't read" or who has a miniscule book collection. The inner-snob comes out with his daggers and I make fun of the other person. Anyone else?

I don't really make fun of a non-reader..but I do tell stories of a friend who had just a few Bibles, a set of Grace Livingston Hill romances, and an ancient Funk and Wagnalls Encyclopedia set, and oh yeah, several issues of TV Guide in her house.. and the tv was on from early morning to wee hours..And she wondered why her boys struggled with learning problems in school.

My hubby will pass a remark my way, but nothing really scathing. He thinks I read too much and I think he reads too little. ABC has it though, I think that readers, in general are a curious lot, and instead of being lonely, thanks to reading, I am never lonely or bored. I always have someone to visit with or somewhere to go. I have a brother-in-law who says he can't read anything longer than a tv guide listing or else he falls asleep. :rolleyes:

cajunmama said:
My hubby will pass a remark my way, but nothing really scathing. He thinks I read too much and I think he reads too little. ABC has it though, I think that readers, in general are a curious lot, and instead of being lonely, thanks to reading, I am never lonely or bored. I always have someone to visit with or somewhere to go. I have a brother-in-law who says he can't read anything longer than a tv guide listing or else he falls asleep. :rolleyes:

I agree with you here!

While i have books i shall never be lonely or bored either! :D

I read a study that said people who describe themselves as "voracious readers" are no less social than nonreaders - in fact, often they're more social! It may be because of the personality aspects mentioned here before, e.g. being curious about the world, etc.

KristoCat said:
I read a study that said people who describe themselves as "voracious readers" are no less social than nonreaders - in fact, often they're more social! It may be because of the personality aspects mentioned here before, e.g. being curious about the world, etc.

Excellent point!, perhaps it's a fair leap of faith that readers have a good vocabulary and are knowledgeable enough about the world around them to add a little more to the given discussion.

I don't make fun of non readers, but i believe that there are two kinds of people in this world, readers and non-readers and the readers (except for artists, etc.) have more imagination than others.

KristoCat said:
This doesn't really surprise me either. I know that since I've started reading more non-fiction the quality of discussions I am involved in has improved. It may also be because I am drawn into conversations that previously would not have interested me so much. I'm also more knowledgable and able to initiate conversations on topics that interest me now.

I quite agree. However, I would temper that by saying that I also often avoid conversations because people can be painfully boring to talk to. I mean, I don't have to talk about books to have a conversation, but don't much care to spend an hour debating the relative merits of monster trucks, cell phones, etc.
On topic, though, i will hjave to admit that most of the dreogatory things that have been said about my books came from that little voice in my head. I have a problem and I know it. ( I mean, the book addiction, not the little voice - just to be clear.)

WoundedThorns said:
once my mother was in some mood and lecturing me about reading to much..

I know a student whose mother disciplined her by forbidding her to read books once. Imagine that, to not read books!. I could only dream of having to resort to such a drastic measure.:rolleyes:

SFG75 said:
I know a student whose mother disciplined her by forbidding her to read books once. Imagine that, to not read books!. I could only dream of having to resort to such a drastic measure.:rolleyes:

And some people think Roald Dahl just made up Matilda:rolleyes:

Give that poor child her book after she washes dishes...

SFG75 said:
My mother actually did this to me once, lol.

th_crylaugh.gif

Give that poor child her book after she washes dishes...

The same guy told me, about my reading:

You need a hobby.

Don't you have anything better to do.

muggle said:
The same guy told me, about my reading:

You need a hobby.

Don't you have anything better to do.

You have to feel sorry for those who don't read at all. When I hear or read that someone "doesn't like books," I wonder what horrible experience they had in elementary or secondary school that just completely ruined the experience for them. I could see not being a bookworm and only reading on occassion, but some folks just don't want to pick a book at all.:eek: I have other hobbies too, but I couldn't imagine not having my books.:)

Back